Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

dynoed this weekend!! dissapointed

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dynoed this weekend!! dissapointed

i went and dynoed at the extravaganza this weekend on sheid's dyno and was only at 294hp and 831ft/lbs. i figured with all of my mods i would be around 400hp i seen dzlpwrs #'s and they are higher than mine and he has a 14cm housing and less fuel. it did put on one of the best smoke shows there on the dyno but didn't put up the #s. what gives besides i need a bigger turbo
Old 08-28-2005, 05:52 PM
Banned

Was that smoke show your clutch?? You should definatly be in the 400 range..
Old 08-28-2005, 06:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
is that smoke raw fuel going out the pipe? remember lean is fast. that may be why the other guy put up better #'s than yu cuz he is leaner than you and all your hp is going out the pipe in that james bond smoke screen. jm02
Old 08-28-2005, 06:24 PM

unless im reading wrong u have a stock turbo...ur not making enough boost fast enough....ur fueling plenty though just not effectively...u need a bigger turbo
Old 08-28-2005, 06:58 PM

I had the same thing happen, only to find out after talking to some dyno guros that I couldn't load the engine properly in 4th gear, the only way I could get to the load up was in 5th the problem was the dnyo operator wouldn't let me run in 5th and at the time I didn't think it would matter. If your max boost and egt's seemed low this is what happened, I learned that dynoing is an art really, I figured just strap down and slam the loud pedal but I got burnt, I ran 375/876 with my current setup which is probably a 100 rwhp shy.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:37 PM

More smoke doesnt = More power!!!
Old 08-28-2005, 08:11 PM

I didnt think scheids dyno was much on accurat #'s this year. Every truck i saw put out low HP, and a lot of tq. Just didnt seem right to me. I think a dyno is basically a rough estimate anyway.

Eric
Old 08-28-2005, 08:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
U should be at 400

I dynoed at 376 hp, and i still had a stock Hx35, and get this i had stock sticks!, with those 370s u should be at a minimum of 400 RWHP, ur numbers dont make sence to me whatsoever, i had alot of smoke as well, at the begining but towards the end, it kinda cleared up, if you had smoke all thru the run, then u had wayy to much fuel, I also have a 14 cm exhaust housing, IMHO ur 18 might be too big...

This is just a shot in the dark, but how high is the altitude where u dynoed? im at sea level down here..

Tx
Old 08-28-2005, 09:59 PM

Ditto on Schied's Mustang dyno being stingy this weekend. The truck I watched should have had a low 400 number. He went from 286 on injectors only to ~340 with a edge comp - an increase of roughly 60hp for the edge comp w/good fuel pressure. The boost pressure was only 35# instead of the normal 47# seen on the street and behind the sled. The torque numbers were right on, but many owners were disappointed.

brandon.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:19 PM
Banned

The only true Dyno is a drag strip.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:07 AM
Banned

Ya don't think they jumped the fence to bein powersmokes or duracracks lovers do ya.................................just jokin
Old 08-29-2005, 01:46 AM

it smoked all the way through the run, it blew it about 20ft in the air looked pretty sweet, just couldn't get the #s. no one ran over 500hp on sheids that i seen a ford with nitrous only ran 375hp. i know on the street i can hit 45psi of boost, if i had a 14cm housing on there the turbo wouldn't last 2min. i know the turbo needs to be bigger, i just thought with what i had i would be in the 400's. i'll post some pics of the dyno run in a few days i had people running from the other dyno to see what was going on when they seen all of the smoke
Old 08-29-2005, 01:48 AM

no it was not my clutch that thing won't slip . haisleys clutches are hard to slip and it's only about 6months old
Old 08-29-2005, 06:18 AM

Re: dynoed this weekend!! dissapointed

Originally posted by halerazor
i went and dynoed at the extravaganza this weekend on sheid's dyno and was only at 294hp and 831ft/lbs. i figured with all of my mods i would be around 400hp i seen dzlpwrs #'s and they are higher than mine and he has a 14cm housing and less fuel. it did put on one of the best smoke shows there on the dyno but didn't put up the #s. what gives besides i need a bigger turbo

ok there is a few things that can make this liek this.........torque is built in the lower rpms.....horsepower is built in the upper rpms.........one thing i learned from Dave is a very tight TQ in the low end will have high torque numbers but will be sloppy in the top end and will see low horsepower.............other thing is if the clutch slipping in the top end?.............that can be a possablility.......then there is timing and fuel.......if you are running lots of fuel in the low end the turbo spools up quicker dus making extremely high hot spots in the exhuast temp over short period of time.......once your spooled up you dont need all that fuel because you cant flow anymore air so your basicly working against yourself......i learned this from talking to blair the injectors technician from BD power......he showed me 3 figures.........

BD Twins + 50hp injectors
BD Twins + 90hp injectors
BD Twins + 150hp injectors

basicly the 90hp injectors had the higher numbers because it had enough for spool up but when it got spooled up it didnt hurt it in the top end which is where horsepower is...........i had a dyno graph in a email he sent me but i cant find the dang thing.....basicly when it comes to upgrading turbo adn fuel...........ask the experts to help you match the injectors to the turbo.........
Old 08-29-2005, 04:05 PM

You've got to be able to make over 400HP. Ive only got 300's vs. your 370's. And yea i can peg my pyro to 1450 but thats only holding 5th gear WOT. Boost is a very strong 38psi, then the wastegate takes over and saves mr. HX-35's life. Smoke is mainly just a fog at max boost WOT. Sounds like a combination of a dyno problem and air supply problem. That turbo is probly heating the crap out of the air charge and not producing efficent power.

Whew, that sure is alot of fuel being dumped into that motor!! Id say you need to look into a new charger set-up. You'd spool up a set of twins purty good

Quick Reply: dynoed this weekend!! dissapointed