Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

DTT transmission owners, build-up experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 06:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DTT transmission owners, build-up experiences?

Anyone had a DTT install that didnt go cleanly? Like a lot of labor involved to track down a problem, repeatedly removing / reinstalling to test?
Just curious how spendy these can get if its not all according to plan, which mine doesnt seem to be going at the moment.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I let a local transmission guy do mine. Big Mistake!!! He miswired the PCM and shorted it out. That in turn messed up alot of electronics in the transmission. However I want to say that DTT customer service was wonderful and helped me get my truck back on the road as soon possible. After everything was fixed I definately think it was still worth it.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:58 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
It's really important to call up to DTT and ask for a recommendation in your area for an installer in good standing. DTT adds and removes them from their list according to feedback from customers. I went to Fred Swanson in Phoenix area and he did a competent job.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:15 PM

Well the guy thats working on mine has a good reputation and I trust him when he tells me somethings gone bad and needs replacing, I just wonder how crazy this bill could get in comparison to the original quote.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
is there a site for DTT?

or email?

or phone number?

thanks
Old 05-26-2006, 07:28 PM

Whats DTT upgrades are you doing? Just guessing but is he replacing the transducer or governor solenoid. (Common Failure)
Old 05-26-2006, 07:35 PM

I think I'm having the same people do my DTT soon. It's on the way to Walpole as we speak. Let me know how you make out, if you wouldn't mind. How far away from Cohasset are you? That's where I spent my first 18 years. Notice I didn't say grew up. I'm still working on that.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:50 PM

Well he said he was tracking down an internal leak that had caused damage to the original parts. Also had to order a governor for it. Sounds like hes put in really crazy hours tracking it down, like working till 2am to get it fixed. My wallet is worried
Old 05-27-2006, 08:24 AM

Did you have a full DTT rebuild?

I don't know all the details of your problem but I would expect anything like you describe to be included in the quoted price for a complete rebuild on a tranny.
From what I have seen...almost no part goes untouched or uninspected in the process??

No surprises on my 47RE. Delivered on time and ran perfectly! Your is a RH...correct?

RJ
Old 05-27-2006, 10:11 AM

I think mine is a 47RE. As far as what they do, I think they install the master rebuild kit with all the seals, then put in the aftermarket goodies. I dont think that governor would be included in the quote, and Id expect his time troubleshooting the thing wouldnt either =(
Looks like my timing was good, if this stuff was damaged internally it wouldnt have lasted long anyway. Last time I changed the fluid it was pretty sooty like the clutches were wearing.
Im just curious if anyone else had an install that didnt go so smoothly due to an existing defect and what the cost wound up being. The base cost is already up around 5k, so add in 12 hours at 88$/hr it gets up there fast.
Old 05-27-2006, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by 12valve
is there a site for DTT?

or email?

or phone number?

thanks
web site - DTT
email - DIESELTRANS@TELUS.NET
phone # - 1 866 504-4002
Old 05-27-2006, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by kawi600
Im just curious if anyone else had an install that didnt go so smoothly due to an existing defect and what the cost wound up being. The base cost is already up around 5k, so add in 12 hours at 88$/hr it gets up there fast.
Just had a buddy rebuild his for the second time. First rebuild the shop talked him into going the cheapo route, it cost him 1500 and got him 20K miles and 15 months. The next shop is replacing the input shaft with a 48RE shaft, torque converter is also a 48RE. Shop dug into it and found a bad pump as well so the total bill ran $5500.

Originally Posted by Austin'sDodge
I let a local transmission guy do mine. Big Mistake!!! He miswired the PCM and shorted it out. That in turn messed up alot of electronics in the transmission. However I want to say that DTT customer service was wonderful and helped me get my truck back on the road as soon possible. After everything was fixed I definately think it was still worth it.
Same buddy as above drove his about 20 miles when his PCM started to fail. Aweful suspicious if you ask me and then I saw your comments. How is it possible to miswire the PCM?
Old 05-27-2006, 03:13 PM

Well this isnt a DTT RE-build, this is the first DTT install on it. so theres no warranty covering my *** or anything. That seems a bit silly that something out of their control that took that much extra labor would be included in the original quoted price. Are you sure that would be covered??
Im looking forward to driving this thing. Glad hes been really thorough in checking it before it goes out the door. Sounds like its been in and out of the truck 3 or 4 times to get the bugs out. Its too bad he doesnt have more shop space to put in a motor and load setup like Goerend's has to bench test the transmissions before they get installed.
This is going to be a rebuild with the usual billet stuff, bands and their VB, TC and billet input. I dont think Im going to end up over 500hp on this truck honestly, Im broke as it is =)
Old 05-27-2006, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by kawi600
Well this isnt a DTT RE-build, this is the first DTT install on it. so theres no warranty covering my *** or anything. Are you sure that would be covered??
This is going to be a rebuild with the usual billet stuff, bands and their VB, TC and billet input.
I understand....and that is what I meant... a full DTT rebuild of your tranny. Without details on exactly what is the problem... can't be sure. However, my original point was, for $5,000 ($3600, plus $700 for imput shaft, plus shipping both ways) you could call DTT and have a complete DTT tranny, built to your specifications, shipped to you. Than you send yours back to them, as part of the deal. I realize there are some different costs involved BUT...if you did that they would be covering everything to work correctly. Most of their shops choose to order or stock the parts and get the money for the labor.
So if what is not working in your new tranny, is part of their tranny... isn't it up to them to deliver you a working DTT tranny for the price quoted? Here again...depends on what is not working correctly. I may be way off base, JMO.
Extra charges have not been discussed by either of you?

DTT's reputation is kind of on the line here...They are good people so I suspect it will work out fairly.
Keep the faith, till you know. Good Luck! Let us know how it turns out, please.

RJ
Old 05-27-2006, 07:24 PM

He miswired my PCM and fried it immeadiately. He was not DTT certified. I picked him. In no way was it DTT's fault.

Quick Reply: DTT transmission owners, build-up experiences?