Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Cummins or not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2003, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cummins or not?

Hey guys, I am new to this forum but it looks great. I know this has been posted but I want new oppinions and anything you have. <br><br>I am interested in a Dodge truck, and I want a diesel but I am not sure if they are good and durable? <br><br>Also if I get a diesel where can I get a Cold Air Intake for this? <br><br>THANKS<br>
Old 03-19-2003, 09:16 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Cummins or not?

[move]CUMMINS!!!!!!![/move]WILDCAT DIESEL.COM
Old 03-19-2003, 09:17 PM

oh yeah, and I live in NY so it can get kinda cold here and I am gonna be in college so pluging it in isnt really an option.
Old 03-19-2003, 09:43 PM

[quote author=Cumminsdude link=board=7;threadid=12502;start=0#118234 date=1048129825]<br>I am interested in a Dodge truck, and I want a diesel but I am not sure if they are good and durable? <br>[/quote]<br><br>Yes &amp; yes
Old 03-19-2003, 11:19 PM

The Cummins is reliable and durable. I cannot say the same about the truck it's mounted in, though. Use a good quality synthetic motor oil and you won't have to worry about plugging it in. The intake grid heater system that the Cummins uses, seems to be more reliable on cold starts than glow plugs from my experience. I rarely plug my truck in, and it's always started on the first cycle of the grid heaters.
Old 03-20-2003, 05:41 AM

I drive my truck like I stole the thing and it just takes every bit of abuse that I throw at it. I don't think you will find a better truck out there.
Old 03-20-2003, 05:57 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

CumminsDude,<br>Welcome to the friendliest disel site on hte Web. ;D ;D<br><br>Every vehicle has it's quirks.<br>That said, the Cummins is about the most &quot;Bulletproof&quot; engine out. The Trucks will take a beating and ask for more.<br>You can't go wrong with a Dodge/Cummins truck.<br>As far as the &quot;Cold Weather&quot; concern, We have members in Canada who have been dealing with sub-zero temps for daily highs all winter. <br><br>
Old 03-20-2003, 08:33 AM

Welcome to the site. I live in Wyoming and it gets cold here too. I have started my truck below zero before with out plug it in. I let the grid cycle twice and had no problem. Get the three cylinder cold start enabled it works great. Hope it helps,that is my two cents.<br><br>Scooter
Old 03-20-2003, 02:41 PM

CumminsDude,<br><br>Judging by your handle I'd say you've come close to making your decision already. : We all need some support in our decision making however, and you found the right place for that!<br><br>I just purchased my very first Cummins Turbo Diesel (CTD) Ram in August 2002 (see signature). IMHO the CTD is the diesel by which all other light/med diesel pickup trucks are judged.<br><br>I find Chevy and Ford diesel owners are verrry sensitive about this [size=0.5](possibly because they know this is true)[/size] . I did also look (very quickly) at both and its was not a difficult decision at all going with the Dodge CTD. I had to have it, period.<br><br>I can tell you that if Ford was the manufacturer with the Cummins power plant, and not Dodge, I'd be driving a Ford 250 CTD now instead of the Ram. I feel that strongly about the Cummins.<br><br>Blasphemy from a DTR member?? ??? No, I think not. I would hazard to say at least 8 or so members out of 10 probably feel the same way.<br><br>Basically, I bought the Cummins first &amp; the Ram second. If the Dodge had not powered their Ram with a Cummins I can't tell you that I would have purchased a Ram hands-down .... probably would have. They are a fine truck. But, hey, I really, really like the look of the new Ford 250/350 as well.<br><br>The CTD is a long haul, bullet-proof, &quot;the more you throw at it, the more it likes it&quot; powerplant. The Best (IMHO). Look no further unless you have severe manufacturer issues with Dodge.<br><br>Now, understand, I am specifically talking about the second generation 24V CTD. I do not have enough background knowledge on the first or thrid generation CTDs to comment on those. Maybe some other members can comment.<br><br>Let us know about your decision and post additional questions if it will help you in your decision making.<br><br>Richard (Bull Dog)
Old 03-20-2003, 02:58 PM

OK great, Thanks guys. Now tell me about how well the dodge truck holds up. A friend of mine said they fall apart. All the stuff under the hood was falling apart and apples from a tree fell on his hood(little apples) and put dents in it. He said very poor quality. What do you think?
Old 03-20-2003, 03:16 PM

Cumminsdude:<br><br>I too am knew to the Cummins and to this site. Two things I found out during my research:<br><br>#1 After driving all three, the HO beat the competition hands down. This was accomplished through both the engine's performance and through the truck's price. The other two could'nt even come close in their pricing. (Man are they ever proud of those things or what?) <br><br>#2 I found that this site provided me with some of the best opinions and technical information avaliable. After researching I consulted with my wife's father who has spent the last 40 years rebuilding diesels for a major transportation company. When I asked his opinion between the three he stated without hesitation, &quot;Do yourself a favor and buy the Cummins&quot;. <br><br>I took delivery on 3/17 on my first diesel, and I feel that this will start a very long and happy association between me and my truck. I'm not new to the Dodge family. I've been towing a 28ft. Wilderness TT with a Durango (318) since 1998. Bought the Durango new and have yet to have any major work done to it. I've found that Dodge does make a quality product at a reasonable price. <br><br>Good Luck and Happy Hunting <br>
Old 03-20-2003, 04:01 PM

hey Cdude<br>as far and cold air intake nothing beats tha scotty II<br>you can get that at wildcat <br><br>my truck has gone through hell in the mountains <br>has pulled cattle and horses for years<br>has hauled wood for years <br>and its still in good condition<br>its got dents, <br>mud flaps fell off, <br>my power seat doesnt work to well (still kicking though)<br>my trany went out at 185,000 <br>the cummins is stronger at 189,000 than at 50,000 (bought used)<br>loverboy runs better at 189,000 miles that when i first got it<br>there nice trucks <br>you'll like it ;D i like mine <br>and i also drive a 01 ferd f150, 85 gmc 2500<br>&quot;so im not dodge till death&quot;
Old 03-20-2003, 11:33 PM

Cumminsdude...<br><br>Altho I am new to the CTD's...I have to say that I have never been in a vehicle that will pull thru all the gears like a Cummins and juz keep askin' for more. They are, simply put, awesome. Yes, they ride a little rougher than a half-ton, but what you receive back is well worth it...I was raised a diehard Ford guy (ask Spark Chaser...) but tried a '97 Dodge 1500 Shorty in '99 n' I love it. The durability has been great. My wife now drives it. I've known a few Ford Diesel guys n' they seem to have nothing but problems with not only the turbos but also with pulling anything. I've yet to &quot;hotrod&quot; on mine, but am looking forward to see what it can do. Bottom line, any vehicle will last az long az you take care of it. The Dodge iz the shiznit. Good Luck! ;D
Old 03-21-2003, 07:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in Canada, Toronto to be exact, we've had a cold winter, temps of -37C and my cummins started everytime with no problems!! ;D And as far as the truck there all right the cummins is bomb but not mounted to the best quality truck. But I can live withit as long as I got my CUMMINS. 8)
Old 03-21-2003, 08:34 AM

Do yourself a favor and get the Cummins. My old '99 now belongs to my youngest son, who sold his Furd to get my Dodge. He likes the Dodge so much better, there is no comparison. Cummins is the best diesel engine made in this class (the ISB), and that is why they are the largest make of diesel engines over 200 HP in the world. The truck attached to it, in my experience, holds up very well, as I put 70K miles on my '99 before I sold it to my son, and the only thing that went wrong was the 5th gear kit, replaced under warranty. It, like my '03, was 4x4, and saw some rough off-road use, and held up very well. The motor was just finishing breaking in, as I got a milage increase at about 62K.

Quick Reply: Cummins or not?