Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Courier/daily driver with a 66mm turbo???

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daily driver with a 66mm turbo???

I am a courier and use my own truck for work, I have a S366 lined up for my truck and was wondering if anyone out there is running one for daily driver usage?? I just want to know how slow it will actually spool, and on the highway will it keep the boost up enough to keep things cool?? The turbo I have on right now is very strange and for some reason only makes 4 psi at 120KPH and my egt's are over 900, with a decent cross wind they stay up over 1000.
I can't wait to see what the thing is like once it spools, I'm just worried about how long it will take to get up there.
Also, whats everyones recomendation as for how much boost is safe with stock headgasket and stock head bolts?? I am planning on getting my head o-ringed and studded but work was really really slow during the holidays so it must wait for a while.
Thanks in advance, Fred.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:13 PM

i have run 40 for a long time with stock head bolts and head gasket for awhile with no prob but your max power with that thing will be way higher then that
Old 01-19-2009, 11:29 PM

fred
4psi wow thats low especially if your still using a stock turbo, at 120kph mine is over 10psi, and it ranges 6-700* with the juice on level 5. you must have a stuck wastegate or a leak somewhere. I seem to top out for boost around 28-29psi and thats with an extra spring on the wastegate, my boost maybe higher but I'm too busy looking at the road to watch the gauge, lol
I have the hy and cant use the boost elbow, thats why I added a spring

My truck is used as a courior as well...business has slowed a fair bit huh? if it gets much worse I might have to go back to twisting wrenches for a living
Old 01-20-2009, 12:11 AM

I have an HX40 on now, I melted the stocker. I had the wastegate blocked on it, it used to make like 15 on the highway and EGT's were around 580-620 then I thought it would be cool to get on it for a bit longer then I guess it wanted to.... 1900 degrees 50psi and I ran out of road FAST!! so I got off and barked it and threw the bearing out the tailpipe haha.
Checked for boost leaks and everything is holding tight.

I've been fairly busy with work, havnt had a really slow day since it picked back up from the holidays that is. Christmas was hella slow, defenitly racking up the credit card haha.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:59 AM

Thats one way to take out a turbo! I guess if your replacing the turbo it does not matter whats wrong with the old one. I see in your sig line you have some stuff sitting in the gargae waiting to go on, I would not mind hearing a review on the shocks and springs. as for the Airdog...
I'm working on something to eliminate the pressure drops under 1/4 tank. actually so is Vulcan and AD. hopefully by the end of the week I'll have the parts needed to test and confirm it
Old 01-20-2009, 09:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 19Fury69
I am a courier and use my own truck for work, I have a S366 lined up for my truck and was wondering if anyone out there is running one for daily driver usage?? Fred.
I would not run a 66 on an automatic tranny in a daily driver. Manual trannys can keep rpms up to compensate for a slow spooling turbo, but you can't.
I ran a 64/14 for a while and hated the slow spool and heavy smoke!

I rode in one 3rd gen automatic, with a 66 turbo. I was not impressed and he lived with it for 3 months before trying to unload it.

What do you have for injectors? Is that the BD125 in you signature??
Any larger injectors will just make the expirience worse.

Might work better in your cooler climate than down here... but I still think you would not be happy.

RJ
Old 01-20-2009, 01:45 PM

I dont recomend it either. My 99 has a 66 on it and it was tuff to drive on the street(now its just a puller). I would look at the 62 class turbos for the auto, esp with the 3.55 gears. The 66 doesnt like anything under 2k rpms in my experiences. I think a 62/71/14 or 62/74/14 would be your ticket.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:16 PM

Thanks guys, I am planning on ending up with a 64/14 or maybe a 62/14 but this is the turbo I will be having on here for a while. If its really that terrible I will be putting the 40 back on and ordering up a different one.
These are exactly the types of replys I was expecting and hope to get some more as well.
I am really quite excited to see how it will work, I have an extremely heavy foot and there are no laws against smoke here so I think I will have some fun.
Thanks for all the replys, keep um coming, ill keep you posted on how it turns out.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:30 AM

......I am really quite excited to see how it will work, I have an extremely heavy foot and there are no laws against smoke here so I think I will have some fun.
Fully understand needing to try it to find out for yourself. As for the laws... don't know but bet your wrong about that!
Just don't fluant it.
Get a reputation for being a public nuisance ... and they will shut you down.

Good Luck!

RJ
Old 01-21-2009, 08:22 AM

I dont often bomb people on purpose but the other day I forgot to change the low end fueling on my edge and I was hauling a fair bit of weight and to make it worse I was at that speed that lugs it and it wont shift down unless you really get on it and there was a cop behind me, he looked at me funny when he went by but never pulled me over and there was enough smoke I couldnt see his white cruiser behind me!!
Old 01-21-2009, 02:36 PM

bet it wasnt a white cruiser after that, heh heh heh
Old 01-21-2009, 02:43 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Take it easy Freddy, Stunting is the ticket and its not cheap! I wouldn't take liberties like that too often..LOL..
Old 01-21-2009, 02:47 PM

It's kinda spendy compared to the 62/14's, but maybe a Ball Bearing turbonetice with a 66mm would work well. From what I've read they spool nie and cool things well for the size.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:59 PM

....he looked at me funny when he went by but never pulled me over and there was enough smoke ....
In my experience he wasn't looking at you funny.... he was starting a mental file on you!
You just got the benefit of the doubt .... this time!

RJ
Old 01-21-2009, 03:32 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would go with the 64-71-14 for your application from what I have been researching.. I think a 62 may just be on the small side.

You electronics guys have no excuses for smoking out the local PD. You can just push a button and shut it off. I have to keep an eye on the tail pipe more often!

Quick Reply: Courier/daily driver with a 66mm turbo???