Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Copper, Multi Layer, or Stock Head Gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 02:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MLS gasket is standard with the 3rd gen engines FYI.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:53 PM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
whats the scoop on the multi layer why are people saying it can handle 50-60psi no problem with studs vs other alternatives. Im even hearing some guys say ditch converting to O-rings and go gen 3 gasket even with twins if you are going to stay below 60 psi.

Any truth to thw rumors?
Old 12-06-2004, 01:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Justin

I would expect to have to deck your head. I have heard of guys ordering new factory heads from Dodge and having them be way off! Good enough for stock when torqued down but...

Grooving just the head? Which studs? Let us know how your head job progresses.... Lots of interest out there, I think, based on # of PM's I get asking about firerings.

RJ
Old 12-06-2004, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by ddestruel
whats the scoop on the multi layer why are people saying it can handle 50-60psi no problem with studs vs other alternatives. Im even hearing some guys say ditch converting to O-rings and go gen 3 gasket even with twins if you are going to stay below 60 psi.

Any truth to thw rumors?
Funny thing,

I just went to parts and pulled out all the gaskets the make for the 24V even the CR 24V. I have to say the MLS 3rd gen gasket is cool.

The water jakets DO NOT line up with eachother between the two motors. If you compare one side to the other they do, flip them over and they don't.

I will try to get some pictures of them to show you guys.

Justin-
Old 12-07-2004, 12:41 AM

I'm interested in pictures ... my small mind can't quite comprehend how the layers look.

brandon.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:43 AM

Got it done.

Haisley's fire rings and 12mm studs, and a spankin new VP.

Had all the twins pipe chromed too.

I used the new 03-04.5 exhaust manifold gaskets. They work much better then the 98.5-02 gaskets. The are composed of 4 layers of thin metal. I took a picture of one installed but I dont think it turned out very well.

Old 12-28-2004, 10:30 AM

Nice pictures!
Old 12-28-2004, 12:04 PM

Very, very pretty!!

If it's alright to ask, how much was the chrome plating for the cold pipes?

brandon.
Old 12-28-2004, 03:44 PM

Originally posted by Don M
The MLS fits just fine on the 12 and 24 valve. Most folks should refrain from using one for other reasons though. Blocks and head preparation is one big thing.

They will hold better than a stocker, but will still pop under the right or wrong conditions.

Don~
If it does fit then why is the one water jaket seal different on the MLS then on the stocker.

I have a 04.5, and a 02 gasket in my garage.

Are you modifying the MLS to work????

Justin-
Old 12-28-2004, 09:55 PM

Does anyone have part numbers for the MLS gasket?

brandon.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:10 AM

Ok....

Originally posted by Don M
You have the wrong part.
Let me rephrase the question.

Does Cummins or Dodge make a Multi Layer Steel Head Gasket for a non common rail application?

So you are not modifying the 03-04.5 MLS to fit???
Old 12-30-2004, 11:28 AM

So, what I gather from this is:

1. Justin has A MLS gasket, but not the correct one for the early engines OR possibly not the correct gasket for a Chrysler application. I really don't know.

2. Don~ knows that they make a MLS gasket for those engines, but won't/can't give part numbers.

Does this mean that the part isn't readily available, or someone has an incorrect part, or Don is being a pain. I don't know, but I would guess that Don is right (although he could be in a bad mood, today ), and Justin has a gasket, but not the one he really needs.

I have never seen Don give out incorrect answers, or even avoid questions for that matter. What I have seen is a person who gives advice from experience, but at the same time is hesitant to give out too much information. He does have something to protect, you know. If I were in his position, I would be hesitant to open my mouth the the WHOLE world, too.

Just thoughts from the other side of the fence, I don't mean to offend or upset anyone,
Chris
Old 12-30-2004, 11:34 AM

OH Boy,

Can you say sensitive feelings.

I posted the link in the other forum to get more exposure. Not to "bash" you.

I never have asked you to anwser any question. YOU CHOOSE TOO!!!

Don't get all huffy with me about the subject. I guess I need to just try it with the block I have sitting in my garage.

The calm and collected Justin
Old 12-30-2004, 12:59 PM
Banned

Guys

I don't want to get in the middle of this, but from what I have seen in my short time here as a member is this- Don has helped me with my ?s along with alot of other members. Don has to make a living just like the rest of us.

Do you think that all of the Nextel cup teams call the other teams when they find a new way to make more HP, I think not. If they were to do that they wouldn't win on sunday.

With all that being said I do have a question, What would be the best way to go with a 12V. Gasket+studs+O-rings or Gasket+studs or something else? I'm wanting to redo a head and install it the best way I can.

Where is a good place to have a head reworked? I'm trying to find a 12V head that I can have redone that way my truck won't be apart a long time.

CRIS
Old 12-30-2004, 02:47 PM

Originally posted by masonic-dodge
Guys

I don't want to get in the middle of this, but from what I have seen in my short time here as a member is this- Don has helped me with my ?s along with alot of other members. Don has to make a living just like the rest of us.

Do you think that all of the Nextel cup teams call the other teams when they find a new way to make more HP, I think not. If they were to do that they wouldn't win on sunday.

With all that being said I do have a question, What would be the best way to go with a 12V. Gasket+studs+O-rings or Gasket+studs or something else? I'm wanting to redo a head and install it the best way I can.

Where is a good place to have a head reworked? I'm trying to find a 12V head that I can have redone that way my truck won't be apart a long time.

CRIS
I went the Haisley route because Patty was very knowledgeable on the phone and was very nice. The setup is working out great. (12mm studs, .105 rings)

I am not going to comment on the other vendors, but I did talk to them and you can make your own conclusions why I did not use them...

I had a spare 02 HO head that I have a valve job done and was deck when the rings were cut. It was only 0.004 of an inch out at the worst spot.

The guy that decked the head and cut the rings was Ken Jones aka Diesel Performance. (He has done some of the work for Edges Drag Truck) Very nice guy. I highly recommend him.

As for Don anwsering the questions Why even post on the board then. Isn't this a place to ask and anwser question. Or has it just turned into a big commercial for vendors???

1. Justin has A MLS gasket, but not the correct one for the early engines OR possibly not the correct gasket for a Chrysler application. I really don't know.
I got the gasket from my dads work. (5 Star Dodge Service Center) The diesel tech there had wrote a RO for a truck that he thought had a head gasket leak and that turned out not to be the case. It was for an 03 CR cummins.

Tell you what, I will post the part number with a picture of the gasket when I get home.

I am begining to think this is why Don was banned from the other site

Justin-

Quick Reply: Copper, Multi Layer, or Stock Head Gasket?