Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

converter lock up switch question

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
converter lock up switch question

If I install a switch on my 98 24v can I put the shifter in 2nd and lock up the converter. This would be a big help towing where the hills and the roads are slow 25 to 35mph. But I dont want it to be in 2nd gear with the shifter in drive for fear it may shift to 3rd with the converter locked. Will this work? thanks
Old 05-16-2007, 09:20 AM

I dont think it will lock in 2nd on the stock valve body, need one set up for that. Stock it will only keep it lock in 3rd and 4th. When you get a built trany the builder asks you if you want you valve body to lock in all forward gears, so i think getting 2nd to lock is only aftermarket.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:52 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Only one way to find out. So you don't waste your money....this way is only gonna cost you $5. for a switch. http://www.tstproducts.com/Torque%20...p%20Switch.pdf
Old 05-16-2007, 09:54 AM

Running normally it will only lock in 3rd and 4th but with a lock up switch it will activate the valve to lock the converter in 2nd. It will not down shift, if you want the tranny to downshift in lock up I know HTS makes a VB that can do it.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:48 AM

Well with my 12V I can lock it up in second, but only if the trans is in "DRIVE"...once you shift into "2" the converter immediately unlocks.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:09 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
On mine (also when stock) I could lock 2nd with the switch. One problem is when going downhill rather fast in 2nd lockup the tranny will sometimes upshift and downshift again (very violent) so engine braking isn't too great if you want to stay below this speed. (IIRC it's around 35-45 mph...)

If you want to avoid the lockup in 2nd with the selector in drive you can either lockup after 3rd gear is in (the tranny won't downshift with lockup applied) or you'll need a rather tricky controller because there is no electrical signal that shows which gear the tranny is in.

HTH

AlpineRAM
Old 05-16-2007, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by johnsjas
Running normally it will only lock in 3rd and 4th but with a lock up switch it will activate the valve to lock the converter in 2nd. It will not down shift,
Originally Posted by AlpineRam
(the tranny won't downshift with lockup applied)
Actually it will downshift with lockup switch on .... if the RPM is low enough!
I've had it happen on the Dyno.

RJ
Old 05-16-2007, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by RowJ
Actually it will downshift with lockup switch on .... if the RPM is low enough!
I've had it happen on the Dyno.

RJ
Is it possible for the trans to dshift with the converter locked or did the converter unlock on it's own before it downshifted? I thought if someone left the switch on and rpms got too low it would shutdown the truck.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mslaughter
Is it possible for the trans to dshift with the converter locked or did the converter unlock on it's own before it downshifted? I thought if someone left the switch on and rpms got too low it would shutdown the truck.
I have came very close to stalling my truck with converter locked. If you have your overdrive turn off, I think it is a different story. As long as the tranny goes into overdrive it will not down shift.

If you want it to downshift, HTS makes a VB that will allow the tranny to downshift while having the TC locked.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:10 PM

If you want it to downshift, HTS makes a VB that will allow the tranny to downshift while having the TC locked.
Wouldn't that be pretty hard on the trans dshifting while locked up?
Old 05-16-2007, 06:04 PM

If you have a lockup switch you can lock it up in any gear.
With stock components.

And yes if your RPMs come too low, or if you're at a stop sign w/ the switch still engauged it will shut off on you.

I've done some lockup pullouts in mine just to see what it was like.. I would lock it up once I pulled out, hammer on it and then let off a little when i'd see the RPM range where it was going to shift..
It shifts pretty solid lol in lockup..
Old 05-17-2007, 07:41 AM

... If you have your overdrive turn off, I think it is a different story. As long as the tranny goes into overdrive it will not down shift.
Maybe it's just my DTT...but I don't think so. With lock up switch on and 60 mph in OD...with light to medium throttle... and than floor it... mine tranny downshifts to third.
This has only happened (twice) on a Dynojet because on the road I am usually accelerating through 60 and tranny shifts into OD later. I have to start dyno runs from 70 mph and up to prevent the downshift.
If it will happen on the dyno, I see no reason why it could not happen anywhere.

RJ
Old 05-17-2007, 08:18 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
I think I should have clarified- The tranny will not easily downshift from 3rd to second with the TC locked up- I don't know if it will kick down or not.
It will also not downshift from 2nd gear lockup to first gear with the selector in D- it will stall your engine.

hth

AlpineRAM
Old 05-17-2007, 10:14 AM

If I install this lockup switch, the truck will run normal with it off, correct?
I would not want someone else(wife?) to fubar my truck inadvertently.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:36 AM

Yup! Tuck it out of the way and no one else will know it's there. Be careful when you use it on a stock tranny. I would only use it once in gear...for braking or at cruise to avoid searching.

RJ

Quick Reply: converter lock up switch question