Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

comp not tapped + injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
comp not tapped + injectors?

i have a comp in my 2000 dually but its not tapped...would i be better off doing injectors and not tapping the IP? or should i just tap the pump...i dont want it to blow up though...
Old 05-24-2007, 11:38 AM

without tapping it your only gaining like 65 hp... tap it and injectors... its a cummins, it wont blow!! :P
Old 05-25-2007, 01:16 AM

i didnt mean the motor i ment i didnt want to blow my IP...dont want to tap it till i get gauges...just wanted to know if it would be safer doing it that way or not
Old 05-25-2007, 03:03 AM

From what ive read I dont think that tapping the pump is what causes it to go, Its tapping it, THEN starving it for fuel. You need to add a fuel system that can keep up with the amount of fuel your adding. Like a FASS or walbro or vulcan relo, these kits use 1/2 inch line which really lets the #2 flow.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:20 AM

that is correct... restricting the pump is what makes it go at a faster pace.. i would without question get gauges... just to make sure all is well, but blowing the pump shouldnt be an issue..
Old 05-25-2007, 07:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Anotherone bites the dust

VP-44 Died,, After the tap,,
I have owned the truck for three years now with constant fuel pressure @14-18Lbs. I had to tap the pump,,Curiosity killed the cat ,,

Cat = VP-44.

BUT WOW What a power increase,,its amazing ,,PLUG AND PLAY!!!!!!! You Must Pay!!!!!!

TAP IT!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck
Old 05-25-2007, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Truckman
VP-44 Died,, After the tap,,
I have owned the truck for three years now with constant fuel pressure @14-18Lbs. I had to tap the pump,,Curiosity killed the cat ,,

Cat = VP-44.

BUT WOW What a power increase,,its amazing ,,PLUG AND PLAY!!!!!!! You Must Pay!!!!!!

TAP IT!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck
I'm confused by your post. You killed the VP immedately after tapping it or three years after the wire tap?
Old 05-25-2007, 09:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It is a hit and miss deal with the VP AFTER you tap it. If it lasts more than a few good runs, it will more than likely last with the wire pierced.
Just be prepared if it doesn't last.
I tow without the wire connected due to heat issues, but it sure is fun when it is tapped.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking 4 DaZe

Originally Posted by Philabuster
I'm confused by your post. You killed the VP immedately after tapping it or three years after the wire tap?
My pump lasted 4 Days after I tapped it,,,,, I was pulling away from this tundra WHEN the pump died,,,He was nice enough to blow the horn as he drove by.....

Tap it You will be amazed with the power.... I had another used pump at my house,,THAT is the ONLY reason I tapped it,,,,CURIOSITY
Old 05-25-2007, 01:19 PM

for most people its not the the tap killed the pump its that it was already going out and its makes it more noticeable, or finally goes into derate because it cant supply the fuel comanded with the wire tapped. if the vp is in good shape and not already failing yo uwill have no problem, it would be kind of a waste to buy injectors when you have free power with a wire.
and if you dont have gauges you should before you do anything else. either tapping or buying injectors.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:40 AM

thanks for the responce...the question i had was yes you can tap the IP but you run the chance of you VP heading south..so would it be safer if i bought infectors?? i know its more money and im wasting power as im not tapped...but would it be SAFER?? if it is i would be willing to spend the extra money to save my punp...thanks
Old 06-17-2007, 09:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you get injectors without some type of boost fooler, you will throw codes. You can get the comp AND injectors- just don't do the pump. You can get the Comp (no pump wire) and not the injectors and still get a good amt of power.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:10 PM
Registered

There is no right or wrong answer here. BUT I will say this if you drive a vp power truck long enough, you will buy a vp44, the ? is when. If your pump is weak now, and you tap it, it can kill it. The added fuel the bigger sticks call for could kill it. OR it will just die on it's own. You need a fuel pressure gauge for sure, but there are alot of pumps that are dead and have never been run with low fuel pressure.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My truck lost its original VP with only 40K on it--- with NO tap.

I wouldn't be afraid to tap it-- it can't get much worse than 40K!!

hahaha
Old 06-17-2007, 05:04 PM
Registered

redneck, how many miles are on your pump now?

Quick Reply: comp not tapped + injectors?