Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Clutch hydraulic assembly troubles, Long

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 02:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch hydraulic assembly troubles, Long

Well I have been fighting with getting my new clutch working properly and getting along with other parts in the truck. The clutch that was installed was the south bend 3250 DD spring loaded, it has 44 miles on it, I was have trouble getting the clutch to Release , wouldn't go into gear at idle felt like the clutch was still grabing. if you shut the motor off it goes right in gear. if no peddle is used the grab of the clutch is perfect. I thought and was told by others that I need a New hydraulic assembly. So I got one from dodge the complte unit and droped it in. it still felt weak with that on there miles on the truck with new hydrolics 2. then the peddle disapears all together. I take it all apart and take a look make sure nothing broke and find a Bunch of plastic fileing the the botton of the resivor . Lovely HU . so that ones trash I am retureing it to dodge for a new one. they wouldn't returen it for cash. but ya. Well I feel I got most of the plastic out. and toped it off Now there if only about 2" of peddle in it there has got to be air in it , How do you blead the system. whats worked for you guys. also have your breakins for a SB clutch been like this, I have talked with SB and they say I need to slip the clutch to get it to lossen it up abit, well with the lack of peddle the clutch just grabs, in all atempts to slip it I just laid out about 40 ft of rubber with both sets of Duals . well hope some one can help. Cole
Old 06-21-2007, 04:48 AM

Cole, Im not sure if you will be able to bleed the dyd. clutch system. I know on some years ya cant. Maybe someone will help out. Ohh BTW ended up gettin my road truck out of the middle of the 3 lane highway and off to the side. took a big ole chain and my 24V and yanked the truck off to the side of the road. Im still in shock that my clutch is still in the bell housing after that. She was chatterin and I could smell it tryin to weld itself together. I guess its time for me to get a South bend.....
Old 06-21-2007, 10:56 AM

Take the cap off, remove the slave and pump the rod on the slave in order to get all the air out. Hope it works for you.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've tried every way I could think of to bleed the clutch hydralics "on the truck". Nothing ever worked. Taking the whole assembly out and bleeding it on the bench works much better. I've done this so many times I could do it in my sleep.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Bart Timothy
I've tried every way I could think of to bleed the clutch hydralics "on the truck". Nothing ever worked. Taking the whole assembly out and bleeding it on the bench works much better. I've done this so many times I could do it in my sleep.
Hey guys I think that counts as a OFFER to Help me , Bleed them. can do it in his sleep he say. Well Your going to Eat thouse Words . I will be in Murray ,Utah For the Nexted 2 weeks. maybe you can come take a look.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:46 PM

Yep - pull the slave cylinder offa the bell housing, hold it vertically such that the hydraulic line is at the top, the rod will be all the way out - depress the rod fully into the cylinder to void all the air, hold it about 5secs, then release it, still in the absolutely vertical position, wait a bit for the air bubbles in the reservoir to dissipate, then repeat - several times of this will completely flush the cylinder - install the slave, depress the clutch pedal to finish the job - be sure to check the fluid level in the reservoir between operations - don't wanna bleed more air in, than out, eh?

The reservoir is higher than the cylinder system, and air is lighter than brake fluid, so will head upward at every opportunity.

Or, brake fluid is heavier than air, so will head downward - system will bleed itself with just a little help from an able-bodied assistant.