Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Centrifuge By-Pass Oil Cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 12:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Centrifuge By-Pass Oil Cleaner

I've run across this by-pass oil cleaner and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it. I'm looking for some sort of by-pass filtration system. This Spinner II claims particle removal down to 1/2 micron. Appears to be a non-disposable item, you just routinely clean it out. I don't know the cost of it.<br> <br>http://www.dieselproducts.com/spinner/spinner.html
Old 01-23-2003, 05:17 AM
Chapter President

Re:Centrifuge By-Pass Oil Cleaner

The spinner and spinner II has been used in the trucking business for 30 years the Cummins ISB uses Model 36 SE and it does what they say<br><br> http://www.spinnerii.com/division.cfm/2
Old 01-23-2003, 06:12 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We had these on the turbo generators in the service. They operate like a pin wheel using nozzles pointed in opposite diretcions to spin the central housing as the oil flows into the bowl. There are dividers in the bowl that force the oil to the outside of the bowl and make it spin. The refuse is slung to the outside and sticks on the bowl. You just clean it out every know and then. I just wonder if the 5.9 oil pump puts out enough volume to supply sufficient oil to the engine and this machine at the same time. <br>The bigger ones we had way back then for the main turbine lube oil were DeLaval and Sharpless purifiers as we called them and the bowl on the Sharpless spun at 17,500 RPM. You had to be very careful taking them apart and putting them back together. This is a very effieicent system if properly maintained. They will remove water and any particulates from the oil at the same time.
Old 01-23-2003, 07:05 PM
cp

I agree with dieseldude. I had one on a Cat engine; they work but the oil pump has to be sized sufficiently to handle its normal load plus the centrifugal filter. Maybe the Cummins is--I'd ask Cummins first. They're mainly for engines with extremely long oil change intervals--I think you can go 30k with one of these filters on a Cat as compared to the normal 15k. I never did, but supposedly you can. If you change your oil at 5-7k intervals, it probably buys you nothing.<br><br>I'm not sure the additional filtering you'd gain would produce a longer life engine because it would always be running at reduced oil pressure.<br><br>
Old 01-23-2003, 08:34 PM

Actually they are orificed to match the oil flow/pressure so your concerns are unfounded, they are extremely good for taking out the carbon deposits and do not have to be cleaned every oil change if running a 24V. We have used these units on everything from p/u, semi's, graders,loaders and gensets and they do a good job especially on engines with extended oil changes using synthetic. PK
Old 01-23-2003, 09:04 PM

I've been looking at putting one on too Medic. I think there's an article on dodgeram.org on an installation. Problem was it required the oil pan to be dropped to install a fitting. : That was something I didn't want to get into.

Tom Hybiske
Old 01-23-2003, 09:09 PM

Here's the spinner link I was referring to.<br>http://dodgeram.org/rides/14/John_P/
Old 01-24-2003, 10:17 AM

The easy way is route the centrifuge drain tube to a fitting installed in the oil fill tube on the front of the engine. That point is still above the oil level in the pan.
Old 01-25-2003, 10:34 PM

Thanks everyone for the info!
Old 02-02-2003, 01:24 AM

This is the first bypass filter which makes any sense to me. After searching the web I've been unable to find many dealers or any prices for it.<br><br>Anybody got any prices and US dealers names?
Old 02-02-2003, 05:10 AM
Chapter President

[quote author=Bart Timothy link=board=8;threadid=10003;start=0#99517 date=1044170660]<br>This is the first bypass filter which makes any sense to me. After searching the web I've been unable to find many dealers or any prices for it.<br><br>Anybody got any prices and US dealers names?<br>[/quote]<br><br><br>Bart<br>Just about any class 8 truck store should be able to order a SpinnerII for your truck....or try the contact page for more info http://www.spinnerii.com/division.cfm/2
Old 02-02-2003, 07:40 AM

[quote author=pappyman link=board=8;threadid=10003;start=0#99520 date=1044184248]
[quote author=Bart Timothy link=board=8;threadid=10003;start=0#99517 date=1044170660]
This is the first bypass filter which makes any sense to me. After searching the web I've been unable to find many dealers or any prices for it.

Anybody got any prices and US dealers names?
[/quote]

Bart
Just about any class 8 truck store should be able to order a SpinnerII for your truck....or try the contact page for more info http://www.spinnerii.com/division.cfm/2
[/quote]

Looks like Model 36SE is the one indicated for the ISB. I sent e-mail to them requesting installation advice.
Old 02-05-2003, 06:42 AM

Update. I got a reply from Spinner II, and they are sending me information. THere are 2 recommended models. One probably won't fit under the hood. The other he claims needs a lot of installation (Like dropping the oil pan?) work. I'll keep you informed of what I receive on it.
Old 02-23-2003, 09:30 AM

I've had a chance to open and read the literature on the Spinner II centrifigal bypass filter. The model recommended by them are model 936, and model 25. The latter is the smaller of the two at a little over 8 1/2&quot; tall. I don't know if either one was the model used by the fella in the dodgeram.org article. No prices were quoted, but that's usually not a good sign. : When it comes to automotive work, I'm definately more of a follower rather than a trailblazer, and this looks like there's some custom work involved in the installation The installation bulletin for the ISB engine calls for two spinner oil fittings, on up by the turbo line, and one down on the side of the oil pan. Yep, you have to drop the pan to install this oil return fitting. This is a really good product, and one that our engines would benefit from. But, until someone comes up with a documented how-to procedure for installing one of these, I'm going to hafta wait to install one on mine.
Old 02-23-2003, 12:21 PM
cp

[quote author=Commatoze link=board=8;threadid=10003;start=0#107990 date=1046014247]<br>... This is a really good product, and one that our engines would benefit from. <br>[/quote]<br><br>The product does what it says it will do--it filters out dirt using centrifugal force. As to whether the engines will benefit from it, I have doubts. Do these engines have a history of premature ring or crank bearing failure? I haven't heard of any. That indicates to me that the standard oil filtration system is more than adequate when following the recommended change interval, which is what, 15K on the '03? Who is going to extend that interval, which is what these spinner filters are supposed to do?<br>

Quick Reply: Centrifuge By-Pass Oil Cleaner