Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Cant start truck after installing FASS - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cant start truck after installing FASS - HELP!

installed pump line directly to stock filter. Only problem I had was getting the new fuel connection at the tank to fit. Gave up and just used a hose clamp. I cycled the pump (it ran for about 20 seconds every time) probably 30 times and it wouldnt start. I then discovered the clamp wasnt tight enough at the tank connection and it was leaking. Really tightened up the sucker. I did disconnect the fuel line to the VP to move the filter during the install, so I knew I had to bleed air. I have my fuel pressure gauge line hooked up to the shrader on the VP, so I have kept the connection to the sender unit cracked to bleed air. I can get fuel out of the line, but the thing just wont start!! I have bumped the starter at least another 30 times! HELP.....ANYONE!
Old 02-25-2006, 04:46 PM

Crack a couple of injector lines and crank 'til you see fuel, tighten and start ... should work.
Old 02-25-2006, 04:52 PM

Where are you gettin fuel out of? When you redo a fuel system to start it you first crack line at the vp bump starter till you get fuel outcoming out. You have to tughten the line up while pumps runin. Then if it dont start you need a buddy to crank the motor over while you loosin the nuts on 2 injector lines. I always loosened 3and 5 at the head.
Old 02-25-2006, 05:10 PM
Banned

you didn't install the pump backwards did you ??? nothing is foolproof to a tallented fool ya know?
Old 02-25-2006, 07:49 PM

Got the sucker finally running. I was getting decent fuel from the fuel pressure gauge line tapped to the VP44. Bet I must have bumped that starter 75 times! Still getting a few drips though from the darn connection at the tank line. Just doesent make any sense, I have really tightened the hose clamp I used instead of the piece that came with the kit that I couldnt get to go back on.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:55 PM

Are you talking about the quick connector at the tank?? if you did not use the metal quick connect.. and just removed the old connector, and slid the hose over the tubing where the connector should have gone... this works most of the time.. but sometimes the plastic where the connector will crack if clamped to tight... If so.. you might have drop the tank, and make a new fuel pickup line...
Good Luck,
Bryan
Old 02-25-2006, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by JDGnut
Are you talking about the quick connector at the tank?? if you did not use the metal quick connect.. and just removed the old connector, and slid the hose over the tubing where the connector should have gone... this works most of the time.. but sometimes the plastic where the connector will crack if clamped to tight... If so.. you might have drop the tank, and make a new fuel pickup line...
Good Luck,
Bryan
Yup, the quick connent wasnt so quick, could not get the sucker on and the more I looked at it, the more comfortable I felt with a hose clamp. I was thinking of wrapping a little tephlon tape around the plastic line since the hose did slip kinda easily over it... now you have me worried I may have broke something..
Old 02-27-2006, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by lezmark7
Yup, the quick connent wasnt so quick, could not get the sucker on and the more I looked at it, the more comfortable I felt with a hose clamp. I was thinking of wrapping a little tephlon tape around the plastic line since the hose did slip kinda easily over it... now you have me worried I may have broke something..
I ended up using two hose clamps at the tank pickup. When I first installed it I only used one, and whenever the truck sat for more than an hour or so after shutdown it would lose prime and be hard to start. Two hose clamps fixed that, and hasn't been a problem since.