Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Can I beat a stock d-max

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
now if you did the same mods to a cummins as you did to a dmax ie. turbo injectors i bet the cummins will win everytime.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by powermad
now if you did the same mods to a cummins as you did to a dmax ie. turbo injectors i bet the cummins will win everytime.
Not even close.

Banks 4" exhaust. AFE Intake. Banks CAC. Edge Juice stacked with Power Pup, MPI Twin Turbos (stock IHI over Nathan's Nunya Turbo) DTT Allison.

Those were all the mods done to the truck.

Race weight was 7800lbs on a LB ext 4x4.

12.2's @ 109.44 mph in the 1/4

Injectors were stock, oh and NO LIFT PUMP! CP3 was stock (and only a single CP3 I might add) no N2O, no C3H8, no Water Meth.

DIESEL only.

Truck never dynoed over 550RWHP... tough to dyno a DMX correctly, but most people who ran the truck knew the dyno numbers were not indicative of what the truck really made.

Just a FYI, I have not seen a Cummins with so short of a mod list crack 12 seconds... most are mid 13's at best. but there are a few DMX's out there now with MPI Twins, and EFI Live, and mods similar to mine running 11.80's
Old 01-24-2009, 12:40 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Funny though, any drag vids I see breaking into the 10's have CTD's.. Hmmmm. Something about a block cracking on the V-8????

I would say the 12V takes far less $$$ to make a measly 1200 ft-lbs.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Lil Dog
Funny though, any drag vids I see breaking into the 10's have CTD's.. Hmmmm. Something about a block cracking on the V-8????

I would say the 12V takes far less $$$ to make a measly 1200 ft-lbs.

As far as 10's, in one, Jess (kingd) and Dirty Max, and a few others.

But you are correct. Most those fellas have had to ''enhance'' their bottom end, and rods.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:02 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by Got Juice?
As far as 10's, in one, Jess (kingd) and Dirty Max, and a few others.

But you are correct. Most those fellas have had to ''enhance'' their bottom end, and rods.
The only thing that got me going on it was a visit to MPL in Lacombe. He was putting together another LLY that had a cracked piston. It was making 500 hp and 1000 ft-lbs. But the money into that engine just to go to the next level was well over $10K. It was nice to see apart, but wow, lotsa dough.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:20 PM

The only thing that got me going on it was a visit to MPL in Lacombe. He was putting together another LLY that had a cracked piston. It was making 500 hp and 1000 ft-lbs. But the money into that engine just to go to the next level was well over $10K. It was nice to see apart, but wow, lotsa dough.

Seems the LLY guys were having some issues in the piston department.

The LLY and up are not MAHLE pistons like they were in the LB7
Old 01-24-2009, 06:16 PM
Banned

Seems the LLY guys were having some issues in the piston department.

The LLY and up are not MAHLE pistons like they were in the LB7
no Juice its the LBZ and up that were not Mahle.

LLY and LB7 pistons are identical.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:17 PM
Banned

Something about a block cracking on the V-8???
the duramax's do not have block problems. No one is breaking them. The stock crank's are fine too. Its the rods and pistons that break.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:32 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by duratothemax
the duramax's do not have block problems. No one is breaking them. The stock crank's are fine too. Its the rods and pistons that break.
Fair enough.. I just remember reading about a hairline crack that starts at the rear main toward the center of the block for guys running big fuel and timing... Maybe I was mistaken.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:33 PM
Chapter President

The engines aren't that different, then why are the LLY splitting pistons? I guess EGT's of 2000°F does do damage in the indestructible DM..
Old 01-25-2009, 12:17 AM

Not quite Identical. LLY has a thicker wrist pin
Old 01-25-2009, 03:31 AM

what i ment was 3 thousand bucks spent on a cummins is way better then spending 3 thousand on a d max everyone i know with a dmax can get to 450hp easy but after that its nothing but a money pit. and with all the electronics in the dmaxs its nearly impossible to run over 450 without putting the trans into limp mode or melting the head to the block. dont get me wrong they are awesome trucks but if your not rich they arnt much of a hot rod. ive spent 9000 on my truck and i have tons of power and torque but everyone i know with a dmax has to spend around 12000 for the same thing.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by powermad
what i ment was 3 thousand bucks spent on a cummins is way better then spending 3 thousand on a d max everyone i know with a dmax can get to 450hp easy but after that its nothing but a money pit. and with all the electronics in the dmaxs its nearly impossible to run over 450 without putting the trans into limp mode or melting the head to the block. dont get me wrong they are awesome trucks but if your not rich they arnt much of a hot rod. ive spent 9000 on my truck and i have tons of power and torque but everyone i know with a dmax has to spend around 12000 for the same thing.
You must be kidding. a Duramax can get to 500 with JUST electronics.

EGT's are a bit toasty though.

And what stock Dodge automatic can survive 450RWHP? None that I know of.

For the record, my Allison went to 479RWHP on the stock Automatic for more than 2 years. Towing, racing, daily driving.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:39 PM

i took my tranny to 450hp with just a valve body. my buddy with a duramax had a edge box intake exhaust and banks wastegate and the pile went into limp mode after every hard pull. all others with duramaxes blew there engines with simple to and go upgrades. one towing a ski boat and others doing 4 wheel launch's. they all own cummins now and havnt had a single problem.in other words i would rather put my money into somthing more reliable like a cummins. sorry
Old 01-25-2009, 05:47 PM
Chapter President

You must be kidding. a Duramax can get to 500 with JUST electronics.

EGT's are a bit toasty though.

And what stock Dodge automatic can survive 450RWHP? None that I know of.

For the record, my Allison went to 479RWHP on the stock Automatic for more than 2 years. Towing, racing, daily driving.
EGT's a bit toasty.. That would be an understatement. Plus you only get about 30 psi out of a stock LB7 IHI turbo before it comes out in pieces..

You have to admit, you were one of the lucky ones. Many guys get wear and tear with just a 120 hp bump with toasted TC's. Either rigs take planning and good parts to break 500 hp and be able to use it.

Quick Reply: Can I beat a stock d-max