Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Bypass Oil Filter Setup

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2002, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bypass Oil Filter Setup

I want to share this with all my diesel brothern...

If you have been wanting/thinking of a bypass system, but didn't want to spend big bucks, consider this:

I have not yet installed it, but found what I think is a great deal on a bypass system- A Baldwin OB1305 mount and B164 filter. They were very inexpensive compared to everything else I looked at and available through my local truck parts store. The spin-on filter is rated at 2 microns and has the 1/16" orifice built in. That way, if the jet does plug up (not very likely, since it is on the return side of the media), the problem is solved the next time you replace the filter! Cool, huh? ;D

I was thinking of waiting until I could also post some pics, but decided to share this info after including it in an answer to another thread.
Old 12-02-2002, 06:16 AM
HC

Re:Bypass Oil Filter Setup

I like the concept of not paying over $100 for a simple filter head as many of us have done, but...<br><br>The Racor / Oilguard filter use a 0.040&quot; (1 mm) orifice.<br><br>Cummins / Fleetguard warned me on the phone not to use their bypass filter head on the ISB - they said our oil flow rate was smaller than the big rigs, and their orifice was too big and might starve the engine for oil by allowing too much bypass flow.<br><br>I suggest researching the orifice size issue a little bit more, OR, have someone fabricate you a 1 mm orifice you can install in the line.
Old 12-03-2002, 08:06 PM

Re:Bypass Oil Filter Setup

HC,<br><br>Thanks for your suggestions. I had first picked up a bypass setup for larger &quot;over the road&quot; trucks. It had an orifice that was almost 1/8&quot; diameter. I was going to modify it, but couldn't find a good mounting place (just too darned big).<br><br>The Frantz bypass filter use a 1/16&quot; orifice. I figure if that's ok for some of the gassers with rather wimpy oiling, then it should be fine for our engines that end up bypassing quite a bit of oil through the pressure regulator. I do plan on watching it closely, and if I think the pressure drops appreciably, I'll add an additional restrictor.