Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

buying a performance chip for 1999 5.9 24v

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
buying a performance chip for 1999 5.9 24v

Hi I new in all diesel stuff, I have a 1999 dodge 2500 5.9L 24v and Im towing a heavy trailer (gooseneck) I need a little more power when Im towing, but also I want to have fuel economy when Im in the city or highway not towing.

What do you recomend?
I was told that the Bully Dog chip, Banks power chip or the Diablo Sport power puck would all increase power and fuel economy.

If I do any of this is my truck start putting black smoke out the pipe?

I just need a little help (more hp, torque, better shiftting points etc.)

Also I dont what to spend a lot of money on this. maybe 400 dllrs a most.

What would you recomend?

Thanks for your help
Old 01-07-2009, 05:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The best thing that you could find is a Smarty. But I doubt if you can find a used one for $400.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:32 PM

edge ez is my vote once I get my truck gaugetized I'm planning on one. Pick one up on ebay or DTR classifieds for around a buck fifty from what I've seen.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:35 PM

I would recommend the Quadzilla XZT+, which can he had for less than $400. They are rated for about 65HP and 120ft lbs Torque I believe. There are 3 settings on it that you can change with a little switch: Off, Timing, Fuel & Timing. I noticed a good 1-2MPG at least when I threw it on the truck (cruising highway, no towing and around 100-110km/h) The tune I am running now is nice, doesn't start fueling until you are farther down with the pedal. With this, I can leave it in Fuel and Timing setting and still get MPG increase (unless I start haulin' on it).

JMO
Old 01-07-2009, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by bobem12
edge ez is my vote once I get my truck gaugetized I'm planning on one. Pick one up on ebay or DTR classifieds for around a buck fifty from what I've seen.
I second that. great towing upgrade. no smoke to speak of. will help keep the trans from downshifting while towing. great first step. then if you want to add more power later buy a fueling box and you already have a great timing box
Old 01-07-2009, 07:58 PM

ooo the other thing we should ask, do you have any aftermarket gauges on the truck?
Old 01-07-2009, 08:04 PM

The Smarty give him many other options like reading codes and fine tuneing fuel and timing.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:17 PM

ya, since you are new to diesels, you need to know the weak spots of the 24v with the vp44. The vp44 is your injection pump and it is cooled and lubed by the fuel that your lift pump sends to it. These trucks are known for there lift pumps dying. If your lift pump goes then the vp44 will go next $$$$$$. A fuel system upgrade and some gauges will help your vp44 last longer. Far as the fuel system you can get a Fass, air dog, PPE, raptor, or a holy blue. Any one of these will work. You can get just about any brand of gauge you want, but the type of gauges you will need are fuel pressure, boost, pyro, and tranny temp for the auto. Gauges can be pricey but are very important. If nothing else get at least a fuel pressure gauge. Your fuel pressure should never get below 5 psi. When my truck was stock I could pull my fuel pressure down to the danger zone. So if you are adding more power, fuel, timming via a box then I would highly recomend gauges and a upgraded fuel system
Old 01-08-2009, 01:55 AM

i like my edge drag comp. bust im still looking for more. im torn between water/meth, smarty, an upgraded hybrid turbo(need to retain my ex brake), need air but im sure a clutch should be on my list.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:12 AM

i suggest an EDGE EZ or QUADZILLA XZT+, both around 60hp and 120tq increase..you can find both under 400$ for sure.
i have the EZ on my 99 and my truck became another truck, not a beast but great power and better pedal response above all at low rmp, whats good for towing.
plus never below 17mpg - 19/20mpg highway

rob
Old 01-08-2009, 07:57 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Like stated above in order of importance:
1. gauges -fuel psi, egt, tranny temp (if auto)
2. LP upgrade
3. Quad XZT+ or Edge EZ

fill out your signature under "user CP" and I'm sure you'll receive more suggestions.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:21 AM

Hi, I agree with the guys gauges and lift pump first

The airdog 100 was one of the best mods that I have done

If you need power and are worried about smoke I would get the TS MVP on a set up similar to mine

On a stock situation I do not know how it works

Do a search on here for ts mvp I have posted some towing reports

I have had several boxes programmers ect. and this thing by far out performs them (in NON wire tap mode of course) in my opinion with my set up

By the way I tow almost daily
Old 01-08-2009, 09:40 AM

I found 2 types or Edge EZ
http://www.edgeproducts.com/product.php?pk=52&pvk=139 (which include display to monitor all)
Or
http://www.edgeproducts.com/product.php?pk=53&pvk=153 (with no monitor gauges, I need to buy them separate)

and also I will look for the lift pump update
Old 01-08-2009, 12:27 PM

if your looking for a good towing box get a van aaken R. i still have mine on my truck and i switch between it and the edge. the van aaken hands down fuels waaay harder than the edge without causing the egt's to skyrocket, and they can be had for pretty cheap. it is a 65 hp 160 lb ft. box with three settings off - 30 hp - 65 hp
Old 01-08-2009, 12:51 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by dieselmx
Hi I new in all diesel stuff, I have a 1999 dodge 2500 5.9L 24v and Im towing a heavy trailer (gooseneck) I need a little more power when Im towing, but also I want to have fuel economy when Im in the city or highway not towing.

What do you recomend?
I was told that the Bully Dog chip, Banks power chip or the Diablo Sport power puck would all increase power and fuel economy.

If I do any of this is my truck start putting black smoke out the pipe?

Most any power adder will increase the smoke.

I just need a little help (more hp, torque, better shiftting points etc.)

I have had an EZ, but like my Smarty much better. With the new Revo tunes, it's fairly versatile. Watch the classifieds here for a Smarty. A friend of mine has an XZT+ and likes it, but prefers the Smarty.

Also I dont what to spend a lot of money on this. maybe 400 dllrs a most.

What would you recomend?

I also recommend gauges and an after market fuel pump. I had one of the original FASS pumps and just upgraded to to new FASS HPFP. Three and half years of the first one and expect the new one will be just as good. The old one is still working well, but just wanted to upgrade to the HPFP. When I have had questions and ordered replacement brushes for the old pump, I found FASS customer service to be very good.

Thanks for your help

Quick Reply: buying a performance chip for 1999 5.9 24v