Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Bosch Pump Mods

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bosch Pump Mods

I know this isnt' a tractor post but it concerrns a bosch pump and I need some help. Trying to get the pulling tractor tuned a little farther in this year. I'm running a 1972 Case 1070 in the 11,000 farm stock division. It has a Bosch P style inline pump. I pulled the rear cover off of the pump and adjusted the injector cycle time screw as far in as it would go. This screw wouldn't go in as far as others I have adjusted, but I think the pump is just fairly worn out (7,000 hours, 32 years old). Anyway, it's still not getting the fuel it needs yet at higher RPM's. I'm maxing out at about 2600 R's. Turbo is an Air Research T04. Does anyone else know of any fueling adjustments that could be made to this pump without an internal rebuild that would yield more fuel?
I'm considering doing an internal overhaul on this pump for next year and have been told that you change "plungers" and a few other items in this pump to really change the fueling amounts. Does anyone know of a place that sells the parts/kit for this and or/installs them? Scheid is near me but they mostly just do 12 line hardcore pulling pumps now and they're pretty rough on the wallet. If I can find a rebuild/hop up kit for this pump somewhere I'm sure I can manage to put in in there. Thanks.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:46 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Have you tried removing the cam plate completely?
Not something I'd recommend for a street truck but for tractor pull it will kick butt.
A governor spring kit will help tons. Instructions and place to buy here> http://www.piersdiesel.com/TechGSK12V.htm

I'm a very experienced diesel mech and wouldn't even consider rebuilding the pump, let the experts in white coats at a Bosch certified shop do it. To do it right you need a injection pump test stand, not something most folks have.
Old 08-27-2004, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, went back out to the shop in search of the cam plate.
Thus far no go. I think this is an older/different style p series than is in my truck. If the serial numbers mean anything to anyone let me know.
PE56A 856D420 LS2264
0400 876 159.

There is a large ciruclar cover (approx 1" dia.) on top of the pump that looks very similiar to the star wheel cover on the truck pumps. However, it isn't the same size allen wrench, and is actually some sort of 12 point mess. My best efforts have failed to remove it and I think I am going to let it go till I can find a socket that fits that weird fitting so I don't round it out. This would probably only adjust low end fuel anyway if it is a star wheel and that doesn't really affect pulling. There doesn't seem to be an AFC housing as there is on my truck ( I parked it close and tried to use it for reference. That piece just isn't there) If there is still a cam plate in the pump (and I assume there is one or something like it in there since something would have to be there to control fuel availability as it relates to RPM's), I haven't found it yet. If anyone knows where it is or has done this, let me know. Thanks!