Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Best Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Best Tuner

I have a 1999 5.9 Cummins with a 5 speed that I am looking to get the best economy out of. I know a tuner is a good solution, but which tuner offers the best fuel economy? Are there any other less expensive mods? I don't do a lot of pulling, but I do on occasion and would like something that doesn't keep me from making power.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
how many miles do you have? what other mods do you have already if any? Try to make your sig as complete as possible so everyone knows how to help you
Old 11-16-2015, 05:42 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Your best fuel economy is driven solely by your right foot! My Juice box has an economy setting which I normally have it set at. Whether it actually provides and MPG's over and above what my right foot can deliver is unknown. It has a tow mode which I use whenever our 11,000lb is attached to the truck. Level three is called "driving" which adds more fuel and timing to the motor. Goes pretty hard, my "built" transmission snaps hard on the 1-2 shift and has broken the back wheels free from time to time. Great grins and hard on fuel and parts. Just a few thoughts. YMMV

Cheers!

Mike
Old 11-29-2015, 01:45 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Pokhgr
I have a 1999 5.9 Cummins with a 5 speed that I am looking to get the best economy out of. I know a tuner is a good solution, but which tuner offers the best fuel economy? Are there any other less expensive mods? I don't do a lot of pulling, but I do on occasion and would like something that doesn't keep me from making power.
The Edge EZ is a great addition to these trucks. Helps tremendously with towing and can even add 1-2 mpg if you can keep your foot out of it. You can also keep the stock clutch but gauges and a decent fuel pump are still in order.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:27 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by KATOOM
The Edge EZ is a great addition to these trucks. Helps tremendously with towing and can even add 1-2 mpg if you can keep your foot out of it. You can also keep the stock clutch but gauges and a decent fuel pump are still in order.
edge comp or smarty ? or both?
Old 11-29-2015, 05:32 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Pokhgr
Some new RV275 injectors will buy you some fuel economy. Combined with an Edge EZ or a Smarty will yield a much more driveable truck.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:57 PM

How do you change settings with the edge ez? Do you have to shut the truck off and reload software like the smarty or what? Also can the ez and the smarty be stacked? If so what gains would you achieve? power, fuel economy, ect?
Old 11-29-2015, 07:54 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by johnh
edge comp or smarty ? or both?
Sorry johnh but I'm not sure what you're asking me? The Smarty is about the same power as the EZ but with a lot more adjustability, and can be stacked. The Comp is about the same as the EZ until you tap the pump wire. Then the power is considerably higher and the stock clutch will never hold.

Originally Posted by Danderson
Some new RV275 injectors will buy you some fuel economy. Combined with an Edge EZ or a Smarty will yield a much more driveable truck.
Yes, mild injectors do smooth things out and lessen the rattle noise a little.

Originally Posted by leathermaneod
How do you change settings with the edge ez? Do you have to shut the truck off and reload software like the smarty or what? Also can the ez and the smarty be stacked? If so what gains would you achieve? power, fuel economy, ect?
Both the EZ and the Comp settings can be changed on the fly. The EZ has a small 3 position toggle switch and the Comp has a larger button type switch. Both are routed into the cab and mounted wherever you choose.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:15 PM

Does anyone know if you can stack a smarty and edge ez or comp? I want the tire size adjustment of the smarty at the very least but it sounds like the edge comp or ez might be better for mileage....plus I really like the idea of on the fly adjustment. Anyone ever experiment with stacking these boxes? Or have a comp or ez they are wanting to Sell?
Old 11-30-2015, 09:48 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
"Sorry johnh but I'm not sure what you're asking me? The Smarty is about the same power as the EZ but with a lot more adjustability, and can be stacked. The Comp is about the same as the EZ until you tap the pump wire. Then the power is considerably higher and the stock clutch will never hold."

that's what i wanted to know katoom, thanks