Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Which is the best box? Edge Comp/TST Comp/Blue Chip

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which is the best box? Edge Comp/TST Comp/Blue Chip

Which box makes the most flat out HP and torque out of the three listed? I hear good things about blue chip, I run the comp and hear good things about the TST which is the best or have there ever been any head to head runs?
Old 07-11-2003, 01:34 PM

Re:Which is the best box? Edge Comp/TST Comp/Blue Chip

I witnessed a heads up run of the Powermax 3 vs. the Blue Chip FMS two years ago. I think the powermax won by 5 hp or so. The competition version of the powermax 3 is even hotter. IMO the combo of a PM3 comp and a stacked timing box is unbeatable.<br><br>John
Old 07-11-2003, 04:29 PM

I like the blue chip much better. It has so many more features, and you can control more with it than any other box.<br><br>The Blue Chip FMS is the way to go
Old 07-11-2003, 04:35 PM

The &quot;best&quot; box is in the eye of the beholder. Rather then pick the box that has the highest horsepower its best to pick the box that best suits your needs and or wants feature wise.<br><br>My personal box of choice is the Edge COMP. I've been eyeing trying out a BlueChip FMS just for some of its features, but thats an exspensive &quot;curiosity&quot; factor. Never really &quot;wanted&quot; a TST but wouldn't hesitate to use it if I had to.
Old 07-11-2003, 08:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't say whose is best, but i personally have been told by two people, that know more about this stuff than I, with the Edge Comp box that they wanted a TST PM3 instead. That's what made me go ahead and get the PM3, well that and the other good things I have heard. One is the fact that I'd rather have more fuel than timing, because if your diesel ever has detonation, that's a REAL bad thing. I'm not the genious here, but I can understand that. :<br>Now, on the flip side, there seems to be a lot of people stacking things on top of the PM3, which causes more timing. ???<br>I have not heard of people stacking an Edge Comp or a Blue Chip.<br><br>No conclusions here, but some food for thought.<br><br>Chris
Old 07-12-2003, 12:58 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

On a bone stock truck, each of the boxes will perform about equal, as far as peak HP gains go. We have noticed that the Edge Comp will sometimes beat out the TST/Blue Chip boxes on Dynojet and other intertial dynos (non-loading dynos) as the Edge box watched the TPS signal as well as boost to determine fueling levels. The TST/BC boxes rely on rising boost levels to determine fueling levels. If the dyno can't load the truck properly, neither box will fuel to their full extent. On the street, we've found that the TST box had a better bottom end power, and the TST Competition box has no rival as far as peak power gains go, at least when mounted in a truck with stock or mild (100 HP and under) injectors and good quick-spooling turbo.<br><br>On trucks with large, slow-spooling turbos, the TST or BC boxes won't really work all that well at cruise levels, as the big single may not generate enough low RPM boost to allow them to function. In some circumstances, we've found that the boost will be just enough to have the boxes turn on and off (surge) while cruising. We're working with TST on a couple big single turbo trucks to see if we can help develop a new program to prevent surging. Once the turbo spools though, the TST provides a very hard hit.<br><br>And we haven't had a chance to play with a twinned truck with big injectors yet to see how the TST box will fare against the Edge box. I strongly suspect that we will again see the TST box shine on loading dynos, and the Edge will likely be out in front on inertials.<br><br>As far as features go, the TST box has the same built-in gauges as the BC box, and the same automatic defueling levels. The BC box does have better configurability vis-a-vis selecting the power levels and low boost fueling adjustments, however we found that the Edge box gave us plenty of adjustment levels and TST's graduated response also works very well (as you bump up the power levels, the TST box gets more aggressive on the bottom end).<br><br>On the reliability side, for us, the TST box is definitely king (&lt; 1% failure rate), with Blue Chip in the middle, and the Edge Comp coming in third. None of the three could be called unreliable, although the Edge Comp did have a bad run of LEDs for awhile. They seem to have gotten that issue cleared up though.<br><br>Rod