Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

best bang for the buck

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2002, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best bang for the buck

I've got a 02,auto,4x4. What's going to give me the most power without ripping the tranny out of the truck? How much can I add with some simple tranny mods? Let's start with a thousand $ buget. Please point me in the right direction.<br> brownpike
Old 12-01-2002, 10:48 PM

Re:best bang for the buck

I think Gear Poet has the bang for the buck of the century in his estate sale find....Man, i wish I had that kinda luck :'(
Old 12-03-2002, 10:40 PM

Thanks for the input, the more I read on this site the more I realize I've got a lot to learn about these trucks. Am really enjoying all the info. From what I've seen so far it might be best to take a step back and do the tranny before any engine mods.
Old 12-04-2002, 10:15 AM

Brownpike,<br> Tranny, than, Gauges, than the sky is the limit all depending on how deep your pockets are. Don't go cheep on the tranny otherwise all the money you spend on the power upgrades won't be worth a dime. There are several different folks who make upgrades to the tranny's, just depends on your preference and what you'll be doing with your truck.<br>Good luck...Big dawg ;D
Old 12-04-2002, 10:21 AM

I asked Bill at DTT the same question on my '02. His suggestion was to turn up the pressure in the VB two turns and do not exceed an Edge EZ.<br><br>Hope it helps.
Old 12-04-2002, 10:30 AM

When my truck was stock, I had an EZ and loved it. I increased the line pressures but the tranny would still slip when put in a bind. Do the tranny now or later, either way you will have to address the tranny if you increase the output of the Cummins.
Old 12-04-2002, 11:40 AM

I agree that the tranny will need to be addressed, but why not live off the warranty until it expires if only moderate bombing is going to be present? <br><br>I am going to get a comp box and run it in EZ mode until warranty is gone. Then it's onto the aftermarket and add bigger injectors, turbo, ect, ect.<br><br>The box can be removed quickly and easily for warranty work while injectors would be tougher. (If you suspect the dealer might flowbench them)<br><br>Just my .02<br><br>Don't want to be disagreeable, just trying to take the shortest path between two points.<br><br>Don't forget gauges first of all!!!
Old 12-04-2002, 03:18 PM

Thats all fine and dandy there fisher, except for it's FRAUD. &gt; &gt; &gt;
Old 12-04-2002, 03:32 PM

True enough Luke. Especially if the mod took out a drivetrain part. But if I go in for say, a multifunction switch replacement, or backup lights don't work, or front center disconnect has gone haywire, I don't think the dealer should void my warranty in full.<br><br>I didn't say you should take advantage of a warranty, but you shouldn't be taken to the cleaners either.<br><br>Next thing you know, dealers will void warranties because you changed headlight bulbs or installed a cb. I guess if you want to play, you'll have to pay. <br><br>
Old 12-04-2002, 03:33 PM

Fisher,<br> You'll be rolling the dice with the warranty. Not sure how much self control you will have with a Comp running it in the EZ mode. Once you feel the power, it's hard not to want more and more and more. <br> Good luck..Big dawg ;D
Old 12-04-2002, 03:42 PM

I agree Fishin. If you have a bunch of engine mods and you eat a tranny, it's your baby. But I never refuse warranty on a part that did not break as a result of a mod, unless it is an obvious case of abuse or neglect. :'(
Old 12-04-2002, 05:49 PM

I hear ya barkin'! ;D<br><br>I don't mind the tranny goin' south, it's just an excuse for a DTT! My concerns are centered towards the rest of the warranty. <br><br>And for running the comp on EZ? I can do it, I have control... Yeah right.<br><br>LOL
Old 12-04-2002, 09:38 PM

What exactly does 2 turns on the VB mean? Is it valve body and does it simply increase spring tension for one of the check *****? <br><br>Is an EZ going to limit me or help me if I add injectors down the road and how much potential does an EZ have?<br><br>Thanks for all the replys<br> <br>brownpike
Old 12-04-2002, 10:05 PM

[quote author=brownpike link=board=7;threadid=7754;start=0#75820 date=1039059530]<br>What exactly does 2 turns on the VB mean? Is it valve body and does it simply increase spring tension for one of the check *****? <br><br>Is an EZ going to limit me or help me if I add injectors down the road and how much potential does an EZ have?<br><br>Thanks for all the replys<br> <br>brownpike<br>[/quote]<br>.............................................. ..........................<br>Take a look at ez's web site and its info at this <br>http://www.edgeproductsinc.com/<br><br>For trans info --how to do stuff and recomendations, I use this site a lot.<br><br>http://www.dieseltrans.com/<br><br><br> Especially down towards the bottom of the page as there is a description on pressure adjustment. LOTS of info is availaible. use this to go directly to it. <br><br>http://www.dieseltrans.com/phpBB/index.php

Quick Reply: best bang for the buck