Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Beating a dead horse...what programmer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beating a dead horse...what programmer?

Ok guys, hate to beat a dead horse on this issue.... I have a 99' 24v with a stock auto tranny, 150K on everything, original VP, tranny, etc. I put a Edge EZ box on it years ago and love it but I want to go bigger and make some more horsepower. (buddys powerjoke out runs and out pulls me , and the new Duramax's are down right nasty right off the lot) Ive been reading hundreds of differant threads on programmers trying to learn stuff but I think im getting more and more confused! Originally I thought I wanted a Edge Juice w/att., then the more I read guys seemed to like the Smartys more. So I was set on a Smarty and researched them, now it looks like guys prefer the Adrinaline or Quadzilla programers! Im pretty much lost when people start talking about tunes and downloads, stacking this and that, raising pressure....fooling boost....with and without timing..... my head is spinning . Im a newbie to all this. I realize they all have strong points and week points, I realize probably any big programmer will probably finish off my old auto tranny but it needs replaced anyhow. Im looking for turbo and tranny safe power and torque, somthing that wont kill my stock VP44. I dont tow very often if that matters. Would like to get 125-150 extra horses. Sorry for such a long rambling post but my heads been spinning on this topic! lastly do I yank out the Edge EZ when I put the new programer in or leave the edge ez hooked up and run in combo with whatever I add? Thanks again ya'll
Old 04-13-2008, 02:08 PM

First get a fuel pump
Second get a tranny built to the hilt
Third get a programmer
Old 04-13-2008, 02:14 PM

ok well 125-150 is not going to be stock trany safe no matter what. but u said it needs replaced to get a built one and ur good to go, you want to beat those guys hands down youll want the adrenaline, thats what im putting on my truck. id get the pulce and ull need a new lp to run it though
Old 04-13-2008, 03:03 PM

Ok, im deffinatly sold on the adrinalin programer, now which monitor would be a good match, I hear a lot about the commander, but the Pulse monitor looks to be even better and its cheaper?! Do I leave my Edge EZ hooked up with this Adrenaline programer? Wow the after market lp's are like $400 bucks, (Walbro setup looked to be the cheapest I could find), am I looking at a lp that is overkill for what im doing, is there a cheaper but safe replacement lp? Sorry again for all the questions.....
Old 04-13-2008, 03:30 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by lookin4cowgirls
Ok, im deffinatly sold on the adrinalin programer, now which monitor would be a good match, I hear a lot about the commander, but the Pulse monitor looks to be even better and its cheaper?! Do I leave my Edge EZ hooked up with this Adrenaline programer? Wow the after market lp's are like $400 bucks, (Walbro setup looked to be the cheapest I could find), am I looking at a lp that is overkill for what im doing, is there a cheaper but safe replacement lp? Sorry again for all the questions.....
The Commander will NOT work with the Adrenaline. The Pulse ONLY works with the Adrenaline, not a stand alone unit. As for a LP there are lots of options out there and different opinions.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:03 PM

Raptor $399.00 life time warranty
Old 04-13-2008, 06:44 PM

it all depends if u want to bypass the stock filter then there gona get pricy but if ur just looking for a pusher pump u can find cheap options there
Old 04-14-2008, 03:12 PM

Just checked with Bluechip Diesel Performance and they carry a stock style, but higher output lift pump that will keep up with a big programmer like the Adrenaline for $170 . Blue chip seems to have great customer service, so I think tommorow ill order that pump unless anyones had bad experiance with those particular lift pumps. Then comes the programer. I can smell the horsepower already.... or is that my tranny...
Old 04-14-2008, 05:04 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by heykw
First get a fuel pump
Second get a tranny built to the hilt
Third get a programmer
Can not stress this enough......

LISTEN/READ CAREFULLY:

I have almost the same truck.....I am running the edge comp (less hp/tq than the box you want)

You will kick youself if you don't get a fuel pressure gauge first.

Second, if you don't build the trans your chip will be worthless. At first, the chip will be so sweet and powerful. you'll blow by your buddy and anyone else you want. however, like mine currently, (well until i started the trans build last week) i put my foot in it and the trans just laughs and slips.

I am basically exactly like you, i love to smoke the little ricers, don't tow that much and like the power. I neglected my VP and now it's toasted....won't even turn on.

As for the lp, I am replacing mine with a FASS 150 right now. Bypass the filter, watch the fp gauge, add a chip, etc.

So, save the money on a chip, buy a FP gauge, build the trans, then buy a chip. If you don't, you'll be back on here in a few months saying....i need a trans, now what?
Old 04-14-2008, 05:05 PM
Chapter President

I just realized you have a plow too.

If you don't build a trans, between plowing and the chip, you'll be stranded somehwere!
Old 04-14-2008, 05:33 PM

correct me if im wrong but doesnt the pulse have a fp gauge?
Old 04-14-2008, 05:40 PM
Chapter President

If it does....

Step 1 is taken care of.

Step 2 is no less important!
Old 04-14-2008, 06:28 PM
Banned

the adrenaline has a FP adapter gauge for like $65, I think one comes with the pulse.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:49 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A good VB and TC will do you a world of good if you don't have the cash for the trans.
I have the same truck except 2 more tires.
Running the Smarty/ Comp stack love it. Oh ya my trans controller makes a big difference too. TC locks at 25 and 40.
As far as cheap LP options go, one of my chapter members did this. Get the Pro comp black on Ebay and a big line kit. Run the Pro Comp in conjunction with the stock LP and your good to go until you can afford a Airdog or Fass.
I have been running this almost same set up above for (Holley Blue) for 3+ years seeing 26psi idle no problems.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:06 PM

Thanks for all the info guys, think I will look into the tranny and convertor this week too, its had a hard life and feels kinda like its getting ready to crap out on me anyways. Also looking at a 3 gauge piller, boost-fuel psi-tranny temp. What fuel pressure range to I want to see to be safe? Thanks again !

Quick Reply: Beating a dead horse...what programmer?