Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

BD XXX Pulse 155hp Injectors

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 04:47 PM
The Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm running that BD155 injectors. My truck idles rough when warm. I'm guessing that my power is around the 550rwhp area. My max boost is around the 45-50 area. The max egt's I've seen (empty) is around 1300 deg's, with my box on 5X5. I use these little sticks for towing my 10k trailer. My mach 6er's would make more power than these sticks but I can't pull anything with the truck without melting my firewall. I have also ran the BD130's and found that they had hardly any smoke and egt's where pretty low. My 6er's idle way better and the truck starts better as well. My truck is hard starting and idle funny with the BD sticks, but work good as a towing stick. I just got a set from dynomite diesel that are rated for 80litres per minute, there 175rwhp injectors are rated for 47LPM. I'm kinda curious if they make more power than the machers as they are the king of the VP 24v injectors that I've ran. Nothing has been close for making big HP numbers and still be marginally drivable.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:54 PM
Banned

Well I got the leak stopped on my 155's and the truck fires right up cold or hot and it idles like a sewing machine. These things smoke so little that my stacks are still clean after 2 days of driving. It's great.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by BigBlue
Boost is up 4-6 pounds and EGT's are still pegged.
I've still got it gated down to 40psi. I'm scared to shut the gate all the way down and see what she'll do.
So is it overpowering the wastegate? Mine would run right at 45#'s before the tst, but now it'll creep up to 47
Old 09-06-2006, 10:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I got the leak stopped on my 155's
Was it the washers??

Rj
Old 09-06-2006, 11:58 AM
Banned

Nope, numbers 4 and 5 still had a very slight leak. Couldn't notice it until the truck had been sitting for a few hours. I cranked down on them hard and after sitting for 12 hours she fired right up without any hesitation. A lot better than the last time you saw it.

Ph4tty, I've got an external wastegate with manual boost controller on it to control the boost. I've got it set at 40 and it's just barely turned up. I'm sure I could easily hit 55 if I turned it up just a tad more.

I got some more seat time in with them this morning on the way to class (50 miles of two lane black top). These suckers are strong on the top end. I could drop from 70-100mph by the time I got around the car.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:05 PM

BB, glad the injectors are working out for you. I always thought the BD's were a good overall injector. My idle improved with them from the previous injector (M1.5's which had a slight lope) and they were strong with reasonable smoke for the hp. They worked well towing 15k lbs without any egt issues of course the BD twins played a role in the egts too. For the $ and otherwise I always thought they were very solid.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I've heard the budha's are but these 155's are so clean it's not even funny. Heck, my buddy's mach 1.5's are smokier than these things are.

C'mon BB! You're gonna lose your credibility with statements like that!

Apples to apples, an 85hp Don M injector is not going to be smokier than a 155hp BD injector! Now fueling boxes may change behavior a bunch (comp vs. TST and such), but you know that.

Even Don's old old sticks (say, spring 2003) weren't that smoky.

.....less smokier.
Classic
Old 09-06-2006, 05:25 PM

Nope, numbers 4 and 5 still had a very slight leak. Couldn't notice it until the truck had been sitting for a few hours. I cranked down on them hard and after sitting for 12 hours she fired right up without any hesitation. A lot better than the last time you saw it.

Ph4tty, I've got an external wastegate with manual boost controller on it to control the boost. I've got it set at 40 and it's just barely turned up. I'm sure I could easily hit 55 if I turned it up just a tad more.

I got some more seat time in with them this morning on the way to class (50 miles of two lane black top). These suckers are strong on the top end. I could drop from 70-100mph by the time I got around the car.

It shouldn't take a lot of torque to get them to stop leaking. Better to loosen them completely and gently tighten them, alternating between 19mm injector line nut and the 8mm hold down bolt.

I know because I had to R&R my stick a couple times to get the install done "right". If you have to crank on that 19mm nut a bunch, you may be distorting the crossover tube.

But heck, if it's running right-- then go with it!

When I first installed my M4s, I had to do the 19mm/8mm dance a couple times to finally get it right, but it was SO worthwhile!

Congrats on the new sticks. What did you have before, the dd3s? If so, I can see how the BDs would make you quite happy indeed.

Congrats, BB and enjoy the awesome new power.

I'm happy with my sticks, but I have a large case of TST envy
Old 09-06-2006, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by HOHN
C'mon BB! You're gonna lose your credibility with statements like that!

Apples to apples, an 85hp Don M injector is not going to be smokier than a 155hp BD injector! Now fueling boxes may change behavior a bunch (comp vs. TST and such), but you know that.

Even Don's old old sticks (say, spring 2003) weren't that smoky.

Classic

Not necessarily. Depends on the turbo. I had Mach 1.5's before on a stock turbo (edge comp) and it was reasonably smokey. I put on BD twins and 155 hp BD injectors (still edge comp) and I was less smokey. Turbo's have to be comparable for apples to apples too. BB's got a big single but his buddy may have a stocker ( I personally don't know). I've got a buddies truck that is less smoky with Mach 4's than it was with a 100 hp injector. I'd say a lot of depends on the injector mfgr's spray angles, machining, etc.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:48 PM

That was my point, but I'm so out of it right now that I couldn't piece together the 20 IQ points necessary to spit it out right.

Thanks for the post, TR! Hey, that's Teddy Roosevelt's nickname!
Old 09-06-2006, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by HOHN
Thanks for the post, TR! Hey, that's Teddy Roosevelt's nickname!
"TR" - Hey I like that comparison as he was basically the first wildlife conservationist hunter and proponent of hunting ethics. A good man from what I know about history ( and hunting). Make that comparison/use those initials anytime
Old 09-06-2006, 07:53 PM
Banned

HOHN, my buddy is running a Comp/1.5's/Super B/Scotty 2/4" exhaust and not only is his cloud thicker than mine but he can make it last longer. Granted, I noticed a BIG loss of smoke when I switched from a comp to a TST but still had the 100hp injectors but they were very smokey and dirty. When I put the 155's in there they smoked even less than the 100's and even less than the 1.5's. Even with the smarty on 9 and the TST on 4 I have to try and make a smoke cloud.

I bogged it down at 60mph today with the TST and Smarty on and while I did leave a long trail behind me, it wasn't real thick at all. I'm telling you that these are way less smokier than the 1.5's.

Hey, less smoke means more power and more power is always a good thing.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:36 AM

The timing of the Smarty is also gonna help cut down on the OVERALL smoke...it will make it worse at peak, but cut down across the total range.

You've also got plenty of air, and fast spool...you're not even working that KSB1 yet

Chris
Old 09-07-2006, 08:53 PM
Banned

Chris, I'm beyond the KSB-1's useful-ness. I can peg 1500* by 70mph at 40psi. Even with the timing from the smarty and my old 100hp injectors they were very dirty. These are very clean.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:49 AM

Well then build twins already...sheesh I mean, what are you waiting on, a tranny??

Chris

Quick Reply: BD XXX Pulse 155hp Injectors