Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Bd twins ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bd twins ?

Has anyone seen these or is running these i saw them in a new Jeg's catalog. Just wondering if they are any good for around 475 hp. I want cool egts and decent spoolup.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:59 PM
The Guru

I drove a truck with the BD twins. They spool decent and the EGT's aren't that bad with a set of mild injectors. My thoughts are, for 475rwhp its a pretty pricey set of turbo's. BD says that there rated for 450-550rwhp but I wouldn't push them that far as there pretty small turbo's. The turbo that you currently have should work pretty nice with a HT3B turbo for the primary and should give you tons of room for more future bombing (as if it stops). I felt that the BD twins laid down too much in the mid range for me so I bought a set of PDR's.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:44 AM

Could the BD twins be swapped out later for bigger ones? Ie: Take out the big charger and put in a B2 or HT3B?

Then you could sell the bottom charger to someone who didn't care about spoolup, and just wanted a bigger turbo (Yes, I do have a few friend that are like this, Waay too many of them actually .

Chris
Old 01-06-2005, 10:34 AM
Banned

I have a set on my truck and I am pleased with them but I am not competing in tractor pulls and I like my power in the low rpm and mid range not around 2500rpm and they spool up quick
Old 01-06-2005, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by signature600
Could the BD twins be swapped out later for bigger ones? Ie: Take out the big charger and put in a B2 or HT3B?

Then you could sell the bottom charger to someone who didn't care about spoolup, and just wanted a bigger turbo (Yes, I do have a few friend that are like this, Waay too many of them actually .

Chris
I believe the B2 is considered reverse rotation and wouldn't fit. Even if you replaced it with another standard rotation charger, you'd need to match the same size compressor and same size exhaust housings so it wouldn't make much sense?

brnadon.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:10 AM

Okay then, would these BD twins work for towing with the setup I have now, then keep things somewhat in line when I go for more?

With my setup now, I can watch EGT's go through the roof as soon as I flip the valet and push the pedal. I need to tow, but I want to play, as well. I am also looking to put in a set of DV's when I get enough air, and then possibly go up to a set of EDM injectors (not crazy big, but bigger with same smoke )

Am I asking too much
Chris
Old 01-08-2005, 07:43 PM

From what I have heard the are good to about 500 Hp and about the same as a large single. The advantage is they spool on the lower end and are about the same in the mid. and top end as a large single. They seem to be a great set-up for towing and to about 500Hp. Why not a few more $$ and a set of PDR twins and have a lot left if wanted. The 300's on the BD set-up arn't good for upgrading as the PDR twins can be easily upgraded, with external waste gates, and higher output turbos.
Bruce
Old 01-08-2005, 07:51 PM
Banned

Bd has a set on their truck the silver bullet with 760rwhp my truck has a set and when I was at 550hp I couldnt exceed 1125 on egt's 01 2500 The set deserves a little more credit than it receives
Old 01-08-2005, 08:41 PM

I heard they work pretty well on a 24 valve, but fall short of the mark on a 12 valve.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:54 PM
The Guru

Ask BD which turbos they ran the 760rwhp number on Christian truck? They didn't even use their own injectors for that project. They ran a HT3B/26 and a HX-40 set-up from another vendor. Ya you can run BD twins to 550rwhp, but kinda too toasty for me. Just buy the right set and use for now or down the road bombing tweaks.

Kyle which truck did you drive at BD that made 550rwhp? I drove Christian truck, it wasn't alot stronger than mine with a set of 90rwhp BD injectors. Yes the bottom end is stronger, no arguement there. His converter is pretty high stall, so that helps with the spool-up. Towing with a clean set of 100rwhp injectors, this is a hot set-up and should be a considered. The other hand why not run a PDR tow twins, they run cool at 550rwhp. If you want more just change the secondary turbo.
Old 01-08-2005, 10:47 PM

Wasnt BD's truck running Buddha power injectors a long while back?
Old 01-09-2005, 12:42 PM

You guy's almost have me talked out of them, as I KNOW I WILL want more power. So, I'll keep thinking on it, and maybe give Piers and JR Adkins a call and see what a twins set-up will cost me.

Thanks Alot Guys, you've been very helpful.
Chris
Old 01-09-2005, 01:01 PM
Banned

Mike I agree with you on the building more power aspect a different setup than BD would be a good way to go but for the $$ most people dont need or want over 550hp they don't want to Oring heads and make all the other modifications to support massive power that is where the BD setup is right on the money. A stock block can handle the BD twins and for daily driving I find that Low and Midrange power is where I like my truck to perform its best. It isn't a high revving engine so I dont want my power there. It was no truck at BD it is my truck and I dyno here local in Tacoma. I am going to try and make the next dyno day in abbotsford I missed last one due to my wife being deployed doing the single dad thing and I stay extremely busy running more than one business.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:23 AM

Originally posted by Kyle Graham
but for the $$ most people dont need or want over 550hp they don't want to Oring heads and make all the other modifications to support massive power that is where the BD setup is right on the money. A stock block can handle the BD twins and for daily driving I find that Low and Midrange power is where I like my truck to perform its best. It isn't a high revving engine so I dont want my power there.
Unless I missed some meaning in your post, I believe most twins won't need bottom end work. "A stock block" should be good up to around 800hp.

I personally think it's silly to even consider twins without thinking of additional engine work such as orings or firerings. People need to know that they run the risk of blowing out a head gasket or worse -- especially people who tow with twins.

IdahoCTD's old pdr40/b2 twins worked just fine for me as a daily driver over the last year. They're perfectly matched for low end grunt and don't give me any grief on the high end either. I believe the same combination can be purchased from Piers now.

brandon
Old 01-10-2005, 07:30 AM

Originally posted by joefarmer
I personally think it's silly to even consider twins without thinking of additional engine work such as orings or firerings. People need to know that they run the risk of blowing out a head gasket or worse -- especially people who tow with twins.

brandon
That's half the reason I want them, to see what it can take. Now, I won't be pushing insane amounts of fuel through them, I'll be lucky to be at 500 hp when I'm done. But I plan on just studs, and see what happens.

I know I could probably get away with a good single for a lot less money, but for a bit more I can have enough turbo for whatever I do in the future.

I just need to decide which vehicle i want to play with, the Chevelle, or the truck
Chris

Quick Reply: Bd twins ?