Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

BD Diesel Lift Pump Auxiliary or Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 05:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BD Diesel Lift Pump Auxiliary or Replacement

Hi guys, I'll plan on modification to my fuel system, I have just installed an EDGE EZ on my 99 Cummins and I want be sure that it has the right amount of fuel (the EZ is amazing over stock!!). I'm looking at BD Diesel lift pumps, great price and easy installation, they sell Replacement(bypass) LP or Auxiliary LP, what's the better choice??
I have about 90k miles with original LP, if I choose the Auxiliary LP and the stock LP dead, can the AUX pump continue to push fuel with the OE pump locked/dead??
I have seen Glacier Diesel walbro kit but it cost twice the BD What do you think of BD LP?
Any help welcome!

ROB
Old 03-24-2008, 09:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that BD pump is pretty much the same pump that comes stock on your truck...it has the same plastic bushing that fails on the 2nd gen trucks and kills your VP....my vote is any aftermarket pump but the BD carter pump....the BD may last a little long being mounted on the frame rail..but it still has a plastic bushing that strips out with age and vibrations..
my .02
Old 03-24-2008, 10:38 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Airdog is a very nice system and comes with a Lifetime Warranty!!
I've installed 2 of them and they are very nice.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:21 AM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Another vote AGAINST the Carter pump ( the same one BD sells). I had several of them all with the same issues. Not enough fuel or psi. They were great to deal with as far as the returns and all, but save yourself the headache that I had. Many ( especially 53! ) tried to tell me, but I'm hard headed you know! Walbro ( GDP ) , Airdog, Fass, about any other system will be better. The Walbro gets my vote because of it's simplicity and ease of replacement SHOULD you ever need to. Also, you could put numerous other pumps in it's place with minimal modification if it should quit along side the road or something.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:31 PM

Thanks guys I'm new to diesel trucks and related aftermarket parts!I'll left the BD Diesel LP, looking at a Walbro kit from GDP or an Airdog
with the AirDog I'll left the OE fuel filter in place or it can be removed?

ROB
Old 03-24-2008, 06:01 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

If you remove the o.e. filter, you also lose the fuel heater and water in fuel sensor. Not the best idea in my opinion.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by vzdude
If you remove the o.e. filter, you also lose the fuel heater and water in fuel sensor. Not the best idea in my opinion.
You could add the fittings to get you through the factory filter as well. Many find the factory fuel cannister to be unnecessary component once the full systems are added.

I would definitely remove the factory filter if the cannister is kept. Also, the restrictions of the fittings is a consideration as well. So, attention should be made to fuel pressure after the last fitting and before the VP.

Dave
Old 03-24-2008, 07:07 PM

yes Fuel Heater is a good feature, especially in cold weather but the OE fuel canister make restictions to the fuel flow? if I ran an airdog for more fuel flow, the OE canister slow this flow?

sorry Fishin2Deep4U, I can leave the canister without the filter element in it, exacly?
Old 03-24-2008, 07:20 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

I upgraded the connectors at the factory canister, and made it 1/2" from there to the CP3. In my opinion, you'd have to be in the 600hp range or higher to notice a difference. I've also added a 2 mic filter in between the factory canister and the CP3. I think between the 2 filters it kind of acts as a resevoir to allow more fuel available. The CP3 can actually pull fuel if needed. ( Like in the Duramax setup ) The two filters provide the extra volume IMO. The Airdog, Raptor, Fass, ect are all great pumps, don't get me wrong, but again, IMO, they would be harder to bypass along the road somewhere if they quit. The GDP Walbro setup is tried and true.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:22 PM

It's the fittings themselves. With a 12mm thread, the hole is only so big. So, yes, the fittings in our fuel systems are the source of the restrictions.

I have always wanted a VP44 rebuilder to offer 14mm inlets. Then the filter housings could be enlarged also. Less pressure would move more volume and that may go a long way to fixing other issues.

If you test pressures without the cannister and then with, I think you would see a difference. Remember, the pump is regulating at head pressure. It is common to have lower pressure at the other end of the first fitting. Providing that fluid is flowing. This is why pressure drop at the VP vs at the pump is noted at WOT. The pump is still making the same pressure, but the lines themselves and the fittings serve to slow the flow and restrict pressure to the pump.

Dave