Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2003, 02:07 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Batteries

My batteries started to form some kind of yellow crystals on the top. I do see a lot lower voltage at startu tham before. So they are shot :'(<br><br>Who runs what as a replacement, and how content are you ???<br><br>AlpineRAM
Old 04-25-2003, 06:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Batteries

Alpine, I am on my second sset of replacements. first I went to OEM. they were ok, but nothing spectacular.<br>I have now installed Interstate batteries...the kind that the shop installs in the F*rd ambulances that they service. I am VERY happy with these batteries. I had to fabricate hold-down brackets since they are slightly wider, but that was no big deal.<br>george
Old 04-25-2003, 07:58 AM

I use Optima Red tops and like then a lot.<br><br>Don Miller
Old 04-25-2003, 08:13 AM

AlpineRam, If the yellow crystals are forming on the positive (hot) battery terminal, you can remove them with a tablespoon of baking soda mixed in a litre of distilled water. The crystals do not mean your batteries are dead, only that you need to clean the contacts. Be sure not to get any of the water/baking-soda into the inner part of the battery. After cleaning the contacts, rinse the battery of with plain water very well, then open the top caps of the battery and make sure the cells are not low - if they are low you can fill them up with distilled water only. HTH.
Old 04-25-2003, 08:32 AM

Make sure you remove both cables and wire brush the post and inside of the clamp to be sure of a good connection when reinstalled. The post and clamp build up a hard non conductive surfice when corroded and this needs to be removed.<br>Bruce
Old 04-25-2003, 08:59 AM

If you have a Sam's club near you check them out. They carry a HD name brand with big CC's that fit our trucks for not much money.
Old 04-25-2003, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt there are many Sam's Club's in Austria.

Have to wonder if Optima's are sold in Europe, and if they are, they might be under a different brand name.

Perhaps check out Optima's web site.

Low and behold, there is a European Optima Site, here be the address.

http://www.optimabatteries.se/

Here's another link with a phone number for European orders.
(down at the bottom of page)
http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/

Happy shopping.

phox
Old 04-25-2003, 01:25 PM

Grandpa: Thanks, knew the trick with the baking soda, but they do have veeeery low voltage now. (with clean contacts)

There is no Sams club anywhere near :'(

Gonna look for the prices of the Optima batteries... if you hear a loud thud and some screeching noises they were too expensive ;D

AlpineRAM

Old 04-25-2003, 02:16 PM

Alpine, sorry it didn't help any. Most batteries won't go much more than 4 years anyway, and any guaranteed for longer than that have a premium price where the OEM makes it up plus some in the long run. I just had to replace my 5er batteries at lunch time because I had run them too dry to recover a charge, so I know how it is. Good shopping.
Old 04-25-2003, 02:27 PM

Well I must feel lucky then : 98.5 on stock batteries- worked fine till last week. Glad they got me through winter.<br><br>I dunno about the optimas- they claim a much lower capacity (like 55Ah) instead of the 100+ Ah of the stockers. And they claim about 650 CCA intstead of the 900. <br>Well, they are more expensive and smaller (as seen in the ratings)... HMMM... thinking- <br>maybe we don't get the right ones over here- if anybody could give me the type No I could look for that.<br><br>AlpineRAM
Old 04-25-2003, 03:24 PM

I'm probably the lone ranger on this, but, I have always had good luck with Sears Die Hards. I buy their top of the line and usually can count on 5 years out of a set. Whether they are good or bad after 5 years, I change em out. Been runnin them for over 25 years in various vehicles and 10 years in my CTD's.<br><br>2 cents
Old 04-25-2003, 03:38 PM

I have had Optima red tops for over a year and half. I think they are great. Model number DT34/78, 800 CCA. The main reason I like them is that they are sealed with no acidic crap dribbling all over the fenders. They work well in the cold when I have been in it. The real killer for batteries is heat.<br><br>If they didn't weigh so much, I'd carry a couple over for you when I travel to Poland next.
Old 04-25-2003, 11:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Alpine,
The corrosion you had on there may have contributed to the degradation of the batteries, depending on if it developed betweel the post and the connector.
Once you get something charged up or replaced, see if you can find some electrical corrosion inhibitor. You spray it on and it will seal the connectors so they won't corrode. I know NAPA carries it here but I doubt you have those over there.
Some people say to grease the connectors but I have found that grease will interfere with the connections in some cases.

Chris
Old 04-26-2003, 12:15 AM

me4osu: You don't think you can smile a hand luggage upgrade from the stewardess ??? ;D <br>Stamey: over here we use a kind of vaseline spray on the contact as a corrosion inhibitor.<br>Grease usually eats the o-rings around the posts. <br><br>I'm gonna look for this number from optima <br><br>AlpineRAM<br>

Quick Reply: Batteries