Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

ATTENTION: All Quad Recon Users

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 07:21 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ATTENTION: All Quad Recon Users

Does the EGT number jump around on you? Mine seems to jump anywhere within a 10 maybe 20 degree window. I could see such fluctuations while on the skinny peddle, but I was sitting in stop and go traffic. Any ideas?
Old 06-22-2007, 07:38 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For a digital gauge I wouldn't say that 10-20 degrees is abnormal. Probably just the load on the engine changing from the AC compressor cycling.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:18 PM

10 degrees could be the different cylinders firing. That is nothing. On an analog gauge they just cannot react fast enough to show you that and they are usually scaled in 25deg increments at the smallest.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:33 PM

Inaccurate readings

I had the same problem when I had the quad Commander. I dont feel it is that accurate. Remember all that coolant & cast iron is 1 big heat sink, so the reading should be pretty steady. I compared the Commander readings against calibrated test equipment & found the reading to be off by quite a bit.
I have the Edge Juice with Attitude now & mine does not Fluctuate.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:45 PM

i have the commander and my egts are very steady...no real flux...they rise fast when on the go...and drop fast when not....the commander keeps up with it..i had an anolog put on to test the accuracy and both were steady climbs and then drops when at idle...dont see a problem with the commander YET.

NCA
Old 06-23-2007, 05:21 PM

You have got to be joking that you think that with different cylinders firing that you think egts should be rock steady. Why do you think on true race cars/race trucks they have 1 egt probe per cylinder??

Tsutter,

You do not have any test equipment to test accuracy of EGT's I assure you. The cast iron parts never touch the actual thermocouple and if you think that they fitting has any bearing on the temp then you do not understand how a thermocouple works. There is a reason a the tip gets put down into the exhaust stream and does not just touch the manifold.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by qzilla
You have got to be joking that you think that with different cylinders firing that you think egts should be rock steady. Why do you think on true race cars/race trucks they have 1 egt probe per cylinder??

So they can tell if one cyclinder is different than the others!!!

Tsutter,

You do not have any test equipment to test accuracy of EGT's I assure you. The cast iron parts never touch the actual thermocouple and if you think that they fitting has any bearing on the temp then you do not understand how a thermocouple works. There is a reason a the tip gets put down into the exhaust stream and does not just touch the manifold.
Wrong again Quad!!

I have a Fluke 714 Temperature Calibrator. Just back from its yearly calibration. You know NIST Traceable. A very accurate device.

Oh yea I forgot my wife worked for JMS southeast. One of the largest thermocouple manufactures. She was a Quallity Control Engineer. I am a Biomedical Engineer. We have talked thermocouples a time or two!!!
Old 06-24-2007, 11:22 AM

It obvious as you think the manifold works as a heat sink.

If your wife worked at JMS you should know that the cast iron manifold has no affect on any thermocouple. You should also be smart enough to know that 10 deg on an engine (especially when reading 3 different cylinders) is a very tiny difference.

The funniest thing to me is your a Bio-engineer and you act like you are an electrical engineer.

That is pretty funny. Oh yeah I guess anyone with a Fluke is an engineer!
Old 06-25-2007, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by qzilla
It obvious as you think the manifold works as a heat sink.

If your wife worked at JMS you should know that the cast iron manifold has no affect on any thermocouple. You should also be smart enough to know that 10 deg on an engine (especially when reading 3 different cylinders) is a very tiny difference.

The funniest thing to me is your a Bio-engineer and you act like you are an electrical engineer.

That is pretty funny. Oh yeah I guess anyone with a Fluke is an engineer!
All I know about Fluke is they are the leader in electrical test Equipment, I do not work for them. Never said I did, & Yes I do have a BS in Electrical Engingeering. Its Biomedical Engineer not Bio-engineer. Yes the cast iron manifold woild have some effect on the thermocouple.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:18 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
You guys take your personal stuff to PM as it doesn't belong on the forum.