Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

ATS Billet Flexplate can Fail

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 06:28 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Don't send it to Eric!!!! That is a trophy and should be hung on your wall

Actually letting them get a look at it can help them with their quality control and in the end help us all...... But be sure and keep a good photo of it so you can have bragging rights
Old 02-09-2010, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eric, Yes the factory ring was retained on install and I am sure it was installed correctly as it was done by Rich Ellis at Ellis Performance Chicago area who built the truck. I would be interested in shipping it to you for an exchange, I was really not expecting anything since it is 1 year old +, very impressed that you are offering, was quite suprised at the failure of the part.
Pm me for further discussion on this offer, thanks

Rob
Old 02-09-2010, 07:24 PM

PM sent! I'm about as surprised as you are, and knowing that the factory ring was correctly reused has only made me more curious.

Lary's exactly right that it can only help assure that this was an isolated incident, and while it's unlikely it could also provide insight on other unknown issues with the vehicle itself & maybe help prevent a larger issue. Either way, a few bucks to ship it in is well worth it!

John, I'm happy to chime in over here any time I can be of help, I just wish I had more time to post in general!

Thanks to you guys for giving us the chance to work this out (although I wish I'd known BEFORE Porscheman87 spent money on another one!)
Old 02-09-2010, 09:16 PM

Pictures of ATS Flexplate

Eric, and all other interested DTR members here are the pictures of the ATS Billet Flexplate

Rob
Attached Thumbnails ATS Billet Flexplate can Fail-img_0725.jpg   ATS Billet Flexplate can Fail-img_0724.jpg   ATS Billet Flexplate can Fail-img_0727.jpg   ATS Billet Flexplate can Fail-img_0726.jpg  
Old 02-09-2010, 09:46 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Dang it, boy!
Old 02-10-2010, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Porsche, you may want to check runout of the flexplate in the installed condition. I would get the truck up on the lift, and use a dial indicator on the ring gear. The last time I saw one break like that, the trans was not square with the block, and was flexing the flexplate.

Not saying you have a problem, but from the looks of that failure, flexure, not a bad hunk of material, etc. would be my first inclination.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:39 AM

I will check that radial runout this weekend, but this is the only thing that failed, with a runout that bad to tear the center out of a solid billet flexplate would it not also damage the converter and the pump? It had no vibration or anything noticible prior to the failure, and replaced it with the BD flexplate and it is back running like it did prior to the failure. Dave Goerend also told me to check for that when I talked to him on it, so I will definately be checking that ASAP
Old 02-10-2010, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Since it lasted a year, I would say it wouldn't be anything gross enough to cause a noticeable vibration. Not knowing the material, but betting it is 41XX series Chromemoly, small variations in runout would be bad.

This could get complicated given the fact that there is not much room to work, Could be rear crank flange, could be torque converter lugs not even, etc. I would first remove all the TQ attach bolts, push the TQ back away from the flywheel, and measure it unattached. Then repeat with it attached. Either case your runout should be pretty small with a aftermarket flexplate, typically they are held to very close standards. ATS should be able to tell you what they allow.

And yes, after all that, it could have simply been a small inclusion in the original flywheel material, even the best mills have some in their material......... But I would verify readings anyway.