Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Anyone build/do their own trackbar conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 08:45 AM
DRM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone build/do their own trackbar conversion?

Yes, I have a worn out trackbar.
Yes, I am cheap.

$175 for a new trackbar that wears out in a year again is not something I wanna do.
Several hundred more for aftermarket kits are more than I want to spend.

There has to be other people out there who have built their own trackbar conversion kit, I can't be the only one thinkg about it

Right now, I can't decide between a weld on bracket system, or a bolt on version like are commercially available. Welding seems easier to me, but likely makes my changes permanent.

Also, trying to decide on what to use ont he upper end. Innitially, I considered getting anotyher stock trackbar and using the same bushings on the top as are on the bottom - if only to make sourcing parts later quite a bit easier. Also considered using a "johnny joint" rebuildable joint up top - simply welded to the end of the stock bar after cutting the TRE off the top.

Anyone else have thoughts on this? or is the only suggestion to fork over cash to someone else ?
Old 01-26-2005, 09:27 AM

Well there are guys making their own Traction bars for the rear, control arms for the front, cross over steering systems for the front, I imagine there are some building their own trac bars. Go over to pavementsucks.com and check it out, they fab up some pretty neat stuff underneath. Right now I am looking at doing the same thing, building my own Trac bar, and control arms. Let us know what you find out.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:35 AM

i am making some 03 adapters for my truck and some of my buddie's trucks. i still think the weld on would be much easier for the 03 track bar conversion. but my buddies wanted a bolt on set up. so i have the prototype fabed up, just have to make some of the others.
i can't belive you still haven't put in the 3k yet, come awn man!
Old 01-26-2005, 10:19 AM
DRM

3kGSK - all in good time

I was also noticing the aftermarket custom pars are straight, not bent like the stocker. Anyone see why it matters? If I can just make it straight, It makes things a little easier and I am not limited to pieces from the stock bar.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:23 AM

if ya move it a slight bit forward it will clear with a straight bar.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:31 AM
DRM

Ahhhh - that makes sense, I was noticing the kits with the straigt bars had the brackets a bit further forward than the ones that utilize a stock bent bar.

Any thoughts on a johnny joint on the top and and having it not be adjustable, or is adjustable the way to do?

Also, does anyone know the taper for the upper stock joint? My other thought was to build an adjustable trackbar with a replacable upper TRE. At least that way it is only $20-35 every time the joint wears out, instead of replacing the entire bar.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:39 PM
Banned

Build your own bracket and then just pickup an adjustable track bar with heim joints alot of companys make them.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:50 PM
DRM

Originally posted by Kyle Graham
Build your own bracket and then just pickup an adjustable track bar with heim joints alot of companys make them.
Building a trackbar myself is not an issue, and I can do it cheaper than buying one from someone else anyway
Old 01-26-2005, 03:38 PM

How did you plan on building a trac bar? I am very interested as to what type of metal you would be using. And you will be using heim joints? I love custom fabrication, IMHO its the only way to go if its done right.
Keep us updated DRM.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:19 PM
DRM

Originally posted by diesel_kid
How did you plan on building a trac bar? I am very interested as to what type of metal you would be using. And you will be using heim joints? I love custom fabrication, IMHO its the only way to go if its done right.
Keep us updated DRM.
I haven't measured, but I would think 1.25" od and either solid rod or .5" wall would be more than heavy enough for use as a track bar.

I would soource tube to re-use the stock lower bushing setup, then drill and tap the upper end for an adjustable threaded section that would be welded to either another stock rubber bushing, or I am leaning towards using a johnny joint rebuildable joint up top (they are about $35 at the local off road fab shop).
Old 01-26-2005, 07:10 PM

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is a johnny joint?
Old 01-26-2005, 07:23 PM
DRM

A rebuildable joint that is used often in custom off road suspensions. Has a replacable hard urethane inner shell around a ball body that the bolt passes through.

Not as harsh as using a SRE (spherical rod end), but more firm than using a rubber bushing.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:31 PM

Geez david, this is easy.
Make one, hands down. I'm going to do exactly what you are talking about. I'm going to get an RE joint and weld it to the stock bar after cutting off the stock rod end. Ya don't need it to be adjustable, just get it right the first time and it'll be fine. I'm leaning torward making a bolt on bracket just cause I don't really want to weld to the frame on this truck. I'll probablly do all this when I build long arms since my stock track bar is ok for now.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:05 PM

Hey! you guys been readin minds again??? I have been thinking about this for a couple months now,but I am getting a lukes link from a fellow member right now, I'll try that firs.t
Old 01-26-2005, 08:15 PM
DRM

What I was thinking too.

And I was considering making my own control arms too - I would think at 300,000 miles they apre probably getting a bit worn.

Quick Reply: Anyone build/do their own trackbar conversion?