Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Air suspensions

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 12:23 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 153 Likes on 119 Posts
Air suspensions

Have just returned from a trip that involved some really rough dirt tracks thru some jungle and up and down mountains. Some of the 'road' had big rocks and even bigger 'potholes'. The road was so rough that idling in second gear threw as around too much and I had to go for miles in first gear. Four wheel drive was a necessity in places.<br> Has anybody had any actual experience with air bag suspensions under really bad road conditions? Did a search for the previous threads on air suspensions but could not find the answer to my questions.<br> I am looking for something that will drastically smooth the rough ride on a lightly loaded truck. Just adding air bags to my existing springs will do nothing to a truck that is not loaded. Who has experience with removing the springs and going for a 100% air bag suspension? What brands are recommended other than Kelderman and maybe Kilby? Any brands to avoid? What sort of price can I expect to pay for a full kit? What sort of problems, if any, can I expect? Etc etc.
Old 07-03-2003, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Air suspensions

Talk to Jaime on that one.
Old 07-03-2003, 12:27 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Thanks, I will be but I was hoping to find others that may have used this system on really bad roads and not just for show in the city.
Old 07-03-2003, 12:35 PM

I have been talking to a Mikes Off Road in Euless, Texas About doing a true Air Ride for my truck which incorporates my lift kit, firestone airbags, 4 link suspension in the rear, ect and they can do it. Call Mike 817-354-5999
Old 07-03-2003, 04:02 PM

For the 4x4 you have to use the kelderman the kit I use WILL NOT WORK for you and will ride improperly with your 4x4 you have to maintain the stock height give or take a few inches. You will need a kelderman kit plus air compressor tank swithces gauges valves. If you get the basic air spring kit then contact me and I will point you in the cheapest places to get the rest of the parts. It will ride amazing and is really a good setup.
Old 07-03-2003, 06:09 PM

I just checked out that kit, talked to them on the phone, have info coming, and talked to my favorite 4X4 shop about it!<br><br>Thanks Jamie!!!! The 4x4 shop thanks you too as they have a 2003 4x4 in there right now that may be a great candidate for it.<br><br>Thats good stuff!!! If you ever ride in my truck with my lift kit hold on to your kidneys... They also say it eliminates wheel hop if you go with the 4link system in the rear.<br><br>Major good stuff!<br><br>James
Old 07-03-2003, 06:54 PM

I am running a 4 bar link in rear with a pan hard bar. I get zero wheel hop and I also have no chop to thr ride It doesn't feel lowered. My dads chebby has a really choppy ride in rear empty my truck has none of this.
Old 07-04-2003, 01:34 PM

Yeah im lookin into this, its gonna be used a little bit off road but nothing hard core. What airbags would give me 15-18 inches?
Old 07-04-2003, 01:50 PM

When I visited their website and then talked to them they seemed willing to build just about anything you wanted.<br>They have standard kits available that go up to 6&quot; I believe. A 6&quot; lift will lower down 3&quot; and raise to 12&quot;.If you look at their site you can see how they are done and see that it is conceivable that they could build something extreme if you wanted them to.<br>The 4X4 shop I deal with is willing to do something radical with air like that as well. Personally I would be VERY happy with the 6&quot; for mine. (3&quot; to 12&quot<br>James
Old 07-04-2003, 02:18 PM

hum, interesting, that the 6 can gain another 6 haha. I didnt know thats how they measured air lifts. but at 12 they wouldnt have much if any flexing would they?
Old 07-04-2003, 06:04 PM

At 3&quot; the bags are empty and the shocks are retracted<br>At 6&quot; the truck is in drive mode and the ride is awesome!<br>At 12&quot; the bags are full and the shocks are fully extended.<br><br>You are not supposed to drive at 12 I wouldn't think. I think they reffered to that as PARKING LOT MODE <br><br><br>
Old 07-04-2003, 06:06 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote author=JCL123 link=board=7;threadid=16646;start=0#156640 date=1057359846]<br><br>You are not supposed to drive at 12 I wouldn't think. I think they reffered to that as PARKING LOT MODE <br><br>[/quote]<br><br><br>Or &quot;Oil Change&quot; mode.<br><br><br>phox
Old 07-04-2003, 06:13 PM

8) 8) 8) 8)
Old 07-12-2003, 08:22 AM

Can anybody suggest another company besides Mike's Off Road? I have been trying to contact them ever since you guys told me about them. Sent repeated emails to every person on their web site but not one answer so presume that either they do not want any further business or are out of business.<br>For those that have conveted to an air bag system, can you give me an idea what the full conversion cost?<br>Thanks
Old 07-13-2003, 07:49 PM

Mexstan,
You gotta call them... sorry they don't do the email stuff!
817-354-5999. They are a pretty busy place but ask for Holley. He will take care of you...

James

Quick Reply: Air suspensions