Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Aftermarket Fog Lights To Replace Factory Ones

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 07:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aftermarket Fog Lights To Replace Factory Ones

If all goes well and Layne gets my bumpers done this month, I will be putting DOR front and rear bumpers on my truck. I have the factory fog lights in the bumper and would like to have fog lights with my new set up. I don't want to keep the factory fog lights. I have been looking at PIAA 1400's. What I would like to do is to keep the factory switch and hopefully use the factory wiring. I believe I saw someplace that the factory lights were like 35 watts or so. These PIAA's are 55 watts I think.

Has anybody done something similar to this? If not, will the increase in wattage be detrimental to the truck. When it comes to electrical stuff, I am an idiot. I hate electrical stuff!! I usually bribe or con my brother into doing that stuff.

Thanks in advance for all ya'll's help.

Michael
Old 01-14-2005, 09:53 PM

I imagine this is the same for a '00 as an '02. The factory fogs are run off a relay in the PDC, which is probably sufficient for the increased current of the 55w lights over the 35w lights. Wiring might be a bit borderline, but should be ok. If it was me, I'd tap the fog light wires near the bumper for another relay and run bigger wire to the aftermarket lights just to make sure they get all the juice they need.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:56 PM

If I understand you, is this correct? Let the factory switch, relay and wiring all hook up to a new relay that is connected to new wiring that powers the new fog lights.

No one has said anything about the PIAA 1400's. Anyone have any experience with them? Good, bad, or otherwise? Should I be considering something different?
Old 01-16-2005, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You interested in selling your factory lights and mounting brackets?
Old 01-16-2005, 06:04 PM

After I install the new bumpers, I am not sure what I am going to do with the factory parts. I have parts from this truck and few other vehicles that I have owned over the years laying all over the place. I never once have needed any of them. So, after I get over any seperation anxiety I feel I might have, I might be willing to part with the stuff I take off.

Since I have the Sport option, and I know Big Blue and maybe others want those parts, I will probably sell everything as a package. That is if there are any interested parties. Odds are I really should get rid of everything, but that won't be until late February or March. Feel free to PM me if you have any interest in the whole setup.

Michael
Old 01-16-2005, 08:41 PM

Originally posted by mkubacak
If I understand you, is this correct? Let the factory switch, relay and wiring all hook up to a new relay that is connected to new wiring that powers the new fog lights.

No one has said anything about the PIAA 1400's. Anyone have any experience with them? Good, bad, or otherwise? Should I be considering something different?
Yep, that's pretty much it. In reality, I'm sure you'd be fine just tapping the factory wires and hooking the new lights up like that. I just like to over-wire (if that's a word ).

I don't have any first-hand experience with PIAA lights. I do think their claim of "85w of light from a 55w bulb" is a bit fishy.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:17 PM

Can't go wrong with PIAA 510s, Awesome lights
Old 01-17-2005, 06:13 AM

If you want to get ride of the factory ones. Let me know

Dan
Old 01-17-2005, 10:21 PM

jfpointer,

If I did just use the factory wiring, what would most likely end up breaking? The switch?

dansdodgediesel,

Are you talking just the lights or the whole sport frontend sans headlights? Just the grill, bumper, and fog lights.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:28 AM

Originally posted by mkubacak
jfpointer,

If I did just use the factory wiring, what would most likely end up breaking? The switch?
No, that's the beauty of the relay, you're using the switch to turn the relay on and off, using a much smaller amount of current. What would happen if the factory wiring was insufficient is that it would build up too much heat, eventually destroying the insulation and likely causing a short somewhere. If the current was way too much it would happen right away, just burning up the wire, but that's not going to happen going from a 35w light to a 55w light. You'd have to wire up your grid heaters on 20 awg wire for something like that to happen.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:40 PM

If you were to wire it up with the factory wiring. Make sure the wire's don't get hot along with the relay too. 35 watt to 55 don't sound like much but. 2.9 amps to 4.6 amps 1.7 amps difference if that's figured right.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by dansdodgediesel
If you were to wire it up with the factory wiring. Make sure the wire's don't get hot along with the relay too. 35 watt to 55 don't sound like much but. 2.9 amps to 4.6 amps 1.7 amps difference if that's figured right.
About where I figured it. Definitely not enough of a jump to burn the wires immediately, and I'm pretty sure the stock wire is big enough to handle the load although the factory service manual doesn't include any info concerning wire sizes that I can find.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:02 PM

Is there a simple way to tell just looking at the wire what gauge it is? I am assuming this is what is in question on how much load it can handle. I mean will it be a certain diameter including the insulation? Or, when I get ready to do the install and cut the wires, will I be able to tell then?

Thanks for all ya'll's help.

Michael
Old 01-19-2005, 03:40 AM

Thumbs up Factory Fog Lights

I'm also waiting for my DOR bumper. If anyone is interested in the factory fog lights, let me know and I'll save them for you. I haven't heard from Layne yet regarding a tentative delivery date for the DOR.

I'll be adding LightForce driving lights as secondary lighting and PIAA for the new fog lights. ( There's so many **** deer down here that you NEED as much light as possible to spot them! ) I'm also going to use the factory fog light wiring to trigger a relay for the new lights
Old 01-19-2005, 09:09 AM

If anybody has a set of factory lights left I would like to have a set. I want the brackets. Just PM me about shipping,thanks.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Fog Lights To Replace Factory Ones