Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

after getting 3k GSK's do i need more boost?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
after getting 3k GSK's do i need more boost?

just curious if im lacking boost at those higher rpms...dont have gauges...its a stock plate in stock position
Old 09-10-2005, 10:02 PM

could always plug the wastegate or buy a boost fitting to find out..
in my experience (not much) boost amount doesnt really equate to performance...I know that my mercedes feels the same at 10 as it does at 20 but the compressor is way out of its effective range and its just blowing hot air.
I've heard that the effective range of our HX-35s is 35psi.. with the stock plate in its stock location with a plugged wastegate its possible to see 35psi, i know in my experiments I had mine plugged and was able to hit 35psi with it defueling around 2300 but my plate is slid forward so im getting a lil more fuel in there..
try sliding your plate too cant go wrong it will make big difference with those govener springs. I gotta fix some appearance stuff on mine (rust on box)
thinking line-x but its waaaaay expensive for rockers and wheel wells.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:12 PM

i dont wanna really do too much sliding cause im still waiting to get gauges by xmas...curious though...if i block that wastegate and say i rip her to 3000rpms and then let my foot off the pedal where is the boost gonna go???...isnt that the idea of the wastegate?
Old 09-10-2005, 10:27 PM

your thinking of a blow off valve
wastegate just controls the amount of pressure..say the turbo is making 40 psi the wastegate will regulate it down to 35 (or whatever its set point is)

I'd slide the stock plate forward without gauges in a heart beat, unless you tow anything excessivly heavy or have large times where your foot is wide open for long periods of time....
Old 09-11-2005, 12:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My stock is full forward, and I have to have my foot into it for a long time on a real hot day before my gauge sees 1150 even. However, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it without having those gauges in there.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:37 AM

You need advanced timing more than boost if you want to play in the higher rpm.
With the stock plate you're not adding horsepower with GSK, just moving the rpm band higher where you get the max TQ and hp. Without advanced timing it will raise the EGTs levels a bit.
I never tried unplugging the wastegate with stock plate & GSK. Curious to see if it helps. With a stock plate you're still not going past 180 hp so the EGTS are usually not a concern.