Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

AFE / K&N style intake or Scotty Air II

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2003, 11:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AFE / K&N style intake or Scotty Air II

Okay,<br><br>My next mod is going to be an intake kit. I am not interested in building my own so I will be going with either an AFE Mega Cannon / K&amp;N FIPK style kit or a Scotty Air II.<br><br>Let me start by saying that I have no intention of cutting a 4 1/2&quot; hole in my truck for airflow so that's why I am not sure the Scotty is the right unit for me.<br><br>The way I see it, since the K&amp;N or AFE provides a conical filter with a heatshield for isolation from engine coompartment air, it will have higher airflow than a Scotty but will have less effective isolation from hot engine compartment air.<br><br>I would like to get some feedback from other users on which way they would go. Also, does anyone have any idea of the flow rate of the Scotty II if the hole in the cowl is not cut?<br><br>I am not planning to race this truck or anything, just want to add some moderate power and keep EGTs down when towing high in the Rockies. Always trying to get the most bang for the buck too. The only other power mod I have planned for the truck is an Edge EZ. At least that's what I keep telling myself. <br><br>All advice is appreciated.
Old 03-12-2003, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:AFE / K&N style intake or Scotty Air II

I just installed a Scotty 2 in a friends truck replacing a Mega Cannon filter. And yes I did drill the hole. But he has saw a 100 deg drop in EGTs just running empty down the freeway and towing at least 200 deg cooler. <br><br>I have always known how well the Scotty 2 system worked for me but I replace a Stock OE filter housing K&amp;N with first the Scotty 1 then the 2. But after seeing it big drop when moving from a good set up like the Mega Cannon. <br><br>I have state this before and will do again I'm sure but it make no sense to me to such in Hot under hood air and then run it through our intercooler to take that heat back out.<br><br>[glow=blue, 2, 300]CooOOoooOOOooooOOOOooL Air is where it's at!!!!!![/glow]
Old 03-12-2003, 01:38 PM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

[quote author=thecatsfan link=board=7;threadid=12167;start=0#115000 date=1047491597]<br>Let me start by saying that I have no intention of cutting a 4 1/2&quot; hole in my truck for airflow so that's why I am not sure the Scotty is the right unit for me.<br>[/quote]<br><br>The Scotty running in Hush mode (without the hole) is good for about 200F reduction from the stock airbox. From the numbers we've been able to gather about the 'Cannon, you'd be looking at a max of 150F reductions, so you're still better off running the Scotty in hush mode.<br><br>Rod
Old 03-12-2003, 10:47 PM

[quote author=Push Rod link=board=7;threadid=12167;start=0#115034 date=1047497896]<br><br>The Scotty running in Hush mode (without the hole) is good for about 200F reduction from the stock airbox. From the numbers we've been able to gather about the 'Cannon, you'd be looking at a max of 150F reductions, so you're still better off running the Scotty in hush mode.<br><br>Rod<br>[/quote]<br><br>Which I think I'm about to do! ;D
Old 03-12-2003, 11:45 PM

If all you're going to run is an EZ, and you're looking for bang for the buck, I wonder why you're even considering any air filter modifications? It's a big waste of money when your only mod is an EZ.
Old 03-13-2003, 12:09 AM

Thanks for the heads up Bart. I should have read his first message a more closely. EGTs with (or without) an EZ probably won't be in dangerous zones, even when pulling heavy (unless its an HO equipped truck), however the turbo will spool a little better, and maybe get him a bit more snap when starting loads out, or crawling hills.<br><br>Rod
Old 03-13-2003, 10:25 AM

Push Rod,<br>What about high horsepower uses for the Scotty 2?<br>Will it flow as much CFM as the Mega Cannon filter system?<br><br>Has anyone done a dyno comparison, not looking for EGT numbers just straight competition horsepower numbers (I know there is correlation between cool air and hp).<br><br>--Justin
Old 03-13-2003, 11:20 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

[quote author=PourinDiesel link=board=7;threadid=12167;start=0#115467 date=1047572704]<br>Push Rod,<br>What about high horsepower uses for the Scotty 2?<br>Will it flow as much CFM as the Mega Cannon filter system?<br><br>Has anyone done a dyno comparison, not looking for EGT numbers just straight competition horsepower numbers (I know there is correlation between cool air and hp).<br><br>--Justin<br>[/quote]<br><br>Kurt Yardley has stated that the Scotty has not had a limit with his turbos and/or power combinations. <br>I have not reached a limit with it either.<br>It seems that the efficiency range of the turbo is exceeded before we reach a limit with the Scotty.<br><br>As far as dyno numbers...its not accurate.<br>The Scotty utilizes the air against the truck going down the road to be more effective then the other systems out there.<br>You do not get that on a dyno.<br><br>Real world testing with modified trucks and trucks towing shows that the Scotty reduces EGT better and cooldown is faster then other systems. I also have had feedback from individuals that they have felt a power improvement on the road as well as some claims of mileage improvement and faster spool up.<br>I do not make these claims. I do claim that the Scotty will reduce the EGT more then any other system out there and so far has not reached a limit in efficiency.<br><br>I will be trying some High HP Don M injectors with my application and I am anxious to see what the EGTs are with that.<br><br>Right now I can run on level 9 with a TST Pmax 3, DD 3's and the b1 KS and I can drag a trailer up a hill at WOT and only on a rare occasion will I get over 1350F. Most times I am at the top of the grade or exceeding a safe speed limit before I hit critical EGT's<br><br>Of course like any system, I can put my EGT over 1350F with low rpm WOT. I know better then to do that but I did try it to see what happens. The EGT drops real fast and I also see very little smoke with this combination.<br><br>You will not see a lot of difference in HP numbers and most will be negligible...I attribute some of the 3-9 HP differences to Dyno operator variables. My system was overlooked in the Joe D testing on the dyno when he did filter tests. Thats an oversight that may not have meant a whole lot anyway.<br>In the real world as opposed to the dyno queens...you will see and feel a difference.<br><br>I am biased. ;D<br>I am also interested in other peoples findings.<br>I know the BHAF reaches a limit at around 325-350 HP range.<br>Some folks that had a Mega Cannon have stated that they hit limits at around 400 HP and when they put the Scotty on, they netted another 150 EGT or greater reduction!<br>
Old 03-13-2003, 01:22 PM

There are several reasons why I want an intake kit.<br><br>First and probably foremost is because I am fairly new to diesel ownership and still think of some things as if I owned a gasser. On my 1500, an intake kit made a big difference in performance. I don't expect the same type of gains with my CTD, but I did expect something. Maybe that's a mistake.<br><br>Second is because I have heard many recommendations, on and off of the forums, that recommend improving the intake. Most owners seem to be of the opinion that the stock intake is restrictive at minimum.<br><br>Third is because a reduction in EGTs is a benefit even if I am not approaching unsafe levels (or at least that was my impression). If you could choose between running at 1000 or 850 degrees (just some ficticious #s), wouldn't you prefer to run at the lower temp? If for no other reason, this should keep my overall turbo temp cooler and reduce my cool down times after a long pull, shouldn't it?<br><br>Last is because you all might prove to be a bad influence and I might find myself shopping for a Southbend clutch so I can start adding injectors and other toys. A lot of people seem to get pulled over to the dark side around here. <br><br>I had considered going with a high-flow drop in replacement instead of a kit, but since they cost almost half as much as a Scotty, and because the stock airbox is anything but leakproof, I wasn't convinced that was a good idea. I hate the thought of spending money on something that could make things worse.<br><br>So, I probably don't need it, but I thought these types of improvements would make it worth having. If I am wasting money by doing it, please tell me. I will not be offended by honest advice. That's why I posted the question.<br><br>Thanks guys!
Old 03-13-2003, 02:08 PM
Top's Younger Twin

IF you do not plan to go much over 50 additional HP...I would save your money and not purchase the Scotty.<br><br>However, if you plan to climb the HP ladder in the future, you can do this in one or two steps.<br><br>Two steps would be to go to the BHAF next, then when you get to the 325 or higher range...go to the Scotty<br><br>One step is to refinance the house, rob the petty cash and get the injectors, twin turbos, clutch, o-ringed head etc etc. <br><br> <br><br>Just kidding...maybe.<br><br>You can determine what is best for you...its good you are researching your options. ;D
Old 03-13-2003, 09:08 PM

I respectfully disagree with regard to not needing the Scotty II if he only goes with an Edge EZ. He states that is the only mod he is considering &quot;thats what I keep telling myself&quot; he says. That statement right there should be a tip off. You keep reading this forum long enough and it will lead to your down fall. You might just as well do it right the first time and get the Scotty II now, and that way if you stop the bombing process, so be it, and if you don't then you have spent your money only once and wisely. That does not mean to say I did it right the first time. I went with a drop-in AFE, then sucumbed to the other items available and had to buy a Scotty II. Let see, I spent $75 for the AFE, sold it for $20 thus losing $55 that I could have applied to the purchase of the correct filter in the first place.<br><br>Roger
Old 03-14-2003, 03:27 AM

[quote author=Racer57 link=board=7;threadid=12167;start=0#115729 date=1047611294]<br>I respectfully disagree with regard to not needing the Scotty II if he only goes with an Edge EZ. <br><br>That does not mean to say I did it right the first time. I went with a drop-in AFE, then sucumbed to the other items available and had to buy a Scotty II. Let see, I spent $75 for the AFE, sold it for $20 thus losing $55 that I could have applied to the purchase of the correct filter in the first place.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Yeah, Scotty, shut the heck up. He's trying to sell a system <br><br>Seriously though, I recommend picking up the EZ and gauges and seeing what the EGTs are at. I doubt they'll be all that high (probably won't get above 1050F). In this case, you don't need the Scotty (or any other air system for that matter). The diesels are most certainly different from the gassers that he's used to in that freeing up intake (or exhaust) before the engine asks for it doesn't really buy you much. I will say this though: Even on a stocker truck, the Scotty definitely helps the turbo spool quicker (lending to seat of the pants HP ), which is a benefit all on its own, and may be worth the money for the system.<br><br>Now, if the EZ isn't enough, then an air system is definitely the next item on your list. Just happen to have a perfectly good set of 160 HP injectors gathering dust <br><br>Rod
Old 03-14-2003, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

thecatsfan:<br><br>I agree 100% with what all the other members have<br>already told you. IMO, the Scotty II is the best unit<br>out there. I have tried them all over the last three<br>years and none of them lowered my temperatures<br>as well as the Scotty II. The Scotty I was very<br>good on my truck, but the Scotty II is even better!!<br><br>FYI, I saw an improvement with the AFE, but not<br>as good as with the Scotty I or II. I did not like<br>the BHAF at all. On my truck, it did not work well<br>at all, although my H.P./Torque number are up there<br>too! Like many of the other members, I also have<br>drilled the hole. But, with the EGT problem I was<br>having I had to! It makes the truck alot louder<br>not unlike a DC-9 Jet taxxing down the runway!! ;D<br><br>Good luck on your choice!<br><br>---------<br>John_P
Old 03-14-2003, 08:53 AM
Top's Younger Twin

I was going to type a reply and explanation here as to why I suggested not to buy but I dunno how to do that without uhh being uhhh errr ummm nevermind. <br>Afterall, how many companies tell you not to spend your money with them?<br><br>The SCOTTY does work better and better the more you throw the power at your truck.<br>Stuff a sheep in it Sheep boy Rod...uhh maybe not. <br><br>I quit. ;D again
Old 03-14-2003, 09:02 AM

[move]Get The Scotty II[/move]<br><br><br>[move]Cut The Hole [/move]<br><br><br> [move]You Won't Regret It !!!![/move]<br><br><br> : Eddie : 8)

Quick Reply: AFE / K&N style intake or Scotty Air II