Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

6 months, ~7k miles, and no hooks on a SBC

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 06:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6 months, ~7k miles, and no hooks on a SBC

I've loved my SBC DD since the first time i drove it. But am i doing something wrong, this is with no hooks and only some 3rd gear street launches. Its never slipped tho, once its locked...ITS LOCKED. it holds...but when i launch etc am i slipping it too much?

Flywheel

inner disk
Old 01-23-2007, 06:56 PM
Banned

Floater Plate

Outter disk

Pressure Plate

Old 01-23-2007, 07:00 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that looks familiar. just wanted to subscribe to this thread.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:01 PM
Registered

mine looks almost exactly like that. and ive sled pulled with it once. few launches, slipped it once when fully engauged.... whoops.

when i upgrade it ill probably go with the new spring loaded one. with like a 750~850 hp rating
Old 01-23-2007, 07:54 PM

You guys prolly never heard of it, But i have a Mitchell Clutch DD, from EEP. and I rip the dog crap outta it, slep pull all summer bout 20 times, launchin 3rd gear racing , and alota 4 gear burnouts. Never had it out once i put it in but I'd HATE to see what mine looks like. They claim mines posed to hold 1,000 RWHP. But nice pics of detail there
Old 01-23-2007, 08:19 PM

what did your mitchell cost my friend had 1 he liked it his truck blew but he liked it for the month
Old 01-23-2007, 08:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rollinsmoke
You guys prolly never heard of it, But i have a Mitchell Clutch DD, from EEP. and I rip the dog crap outta it, slep pull all summer bout 20 times, launchin 3rd gear racing , and alota 4 gear burnouts. Never had it out once i put it in but I'd HATE to see what mine looks like. They claim mines posed to hold 1,000 RWHP. But nice pics of detail there

I've heard of them, decided to go with SBC for many reasons that WILL NOT be discussed here. this thread is not a debate or bash clutch brand discussion, it is solely here to show how much abuse i've put on a clutch in the last 6 months.

also the tranny came out due to bad bearings...the clutch was holding fine, i just wanted to check/inspect it while i had the chance. might as well take care of it now.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:17 PM

Alot of intentional slippage on that clutch. Thats where all the hot spots come from.

Dual Disc clutches from ANY maker can hold all you can throw at them, but the clutch material can only handle so much hot intentional slippage.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:33 AM

so does it need a rebuild?
Old 01-24-2007, 08:37 AM
Banned

i dont know...waiting to hear back from peter
Old 01-24-2007, 09:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by getblown5.9
i dont know...waiting to hear back from peter
keep me posted!!! i may have to do mine too. id hate to see her now, shes got to be worse than yours!!

are you wanting to upgrade to the new spring loaded clutch?
Old 01-24-2007, 10:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by blackdiesel
keep me posted!!! i may have to do mine too. id hate to see her now, shes got to be worse than yours!!

are you wanting to upgrade to the new spring loaded clutch?
thought about it...but i dont think so. you can see im hard on mine, and without the springs there are less parts to ever fail. if i do any upgrade at all it will be the Iron Giant
Old 01-24-2007, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by PourinDiesel
Alot of intentional slippage on that clutch. Thats where all the hot spots come from.

Dual Disc clutches from ANY maker can hold all you can throw at them, but the clutch material can only handle so much hot intentional slippage.
Do the FB clutches do better in this regard? I've slipped my 3600 CB a few times =\
Old 01-24-2007, 12:38 PM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Folks, in all actuality the clutch does not look that bad. Yes, there is some discoloration but it is wear that we are looking for. In fact, sled pulling is much easier on a clutch then 3rd and 4th gear launches. with sled pulling you are in the dirt whereas launching on the street is on pavement. Anyhow, with as many pavement launches as we are talking about, the clutch looks pretty good...discolored yes, but pretty good. The clutch was holding good and not the reason for removal.

getblown5.9, I saw the pictures in the email you sent last night. I am sorry that I didn't get back with you first thing this morning as I am off today. Feel free to call me tomorrow and we can discuss what you would like to do. But, please rest assure that the clutch looks normal. It only takes 4 seconds to reach a 1000 degrease, because it discolors does not mean it has reached the end of its life.

Peter
Old 01-24-2007, 01:14 PM
Banned

thanks Peter, you will see my reply on TDR

but im gonna go ahead and reinstall it when the tranny gets back.

i didnt post this as a bash on SBC products either, I was just posting my findings, just like everyone here does when they try something new, or make a discovery (good or bad)

Quick Reply: 6 months, ~7k miles, and no hooks on a SBC