Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

2WD Low Conversion Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 03:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update

Ok. Some butt monkey from Graniner just told me that his valves wouldn't work for vacuum because the spool relys on pressure to assist the coil to move the spool. Whatever. I took a hydro-electronics class in college, but we never worked with vacuum so I don't really know. He also informed me that his valves were not certified to be used on vehicles because of liability of going down the road and something fails and blah blah blah. I told him, I didn't care whether they were certified or gold plated, that is why you design in fail-safes and the normal relaxed position would be the one to run down the road. Anyway, I'm still looking for a valve. I'll post my new findings when I find one that is "certified" according to this donkey.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:58 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Gotlift01
A directional switch would be the way to go.....

The stupid design on my Jeep has two hoses going to the actuator..one supply and one vent......so here I am bouncing on some rocks, flex out the front end and the dang supply hose slips off and unlocks my front!!! Boy talk about screwin ya in a bad way!!

~Nick
The vacuum motors at the axle definitely don't all work the way you desrcibed....the units that I have serviced had vacuum available on both sides of the diaphram - one side pulled the actuator one way and the other side of the diaphram had vacuum that could pull the actuator in the other direction.

4x4dually,

You don't need a directional control valve for your 2 low set up.....all you need is a normally open switch that closes to shut off the flow of vacuum when energized - that's it.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:07 PM
Banned

Maybe I DESCRIBED IT WRONG because what I know happens is exactly like you are describing.

If you have it in 4 wheel, it sucks the actuator one direction, sucks air out the outboard side of the actuator. If while in 4 wheel with the transfer case, I can switch the vacuum to the inboard side of the actuator and back, I can manually lock and unlock the front axle as long as the transfer case is in 4 wheel and there is suction to the directional control valve. Make sense? I can't find anyone who can offer a DCV for vacuum. You'd think I was looking for the pot at the end of the rainbow. Everyone freakin' valves are pressure assisted spools. Losers......where's my valve!!!!

I just received my single valve from Grainer just now and I just might use it and forget the fancy design.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CTD NUT
The vacuum motors at the axle definitely don't all work the way you desrcibed....the units that I have serviced had vacuum available on both sides of the diaphram - one side pulled the actuator one way and the other side of the diaphram had vacuum that could pull the actuator in the other direction.

I didn't say that they all worked that way.....I was just stating what mine did to me. When the hoses stay on it works fine......but when they pop off it can kinda make you mad!! Nothing a hose clamp doesn't fix though!

~Nick
Old 08-29-2006, 04:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gotlift01
I didn't say that they all worked that way.....I was just stating what mine did to me. When the hoses stay on it works fine......but when they pop off it can kinda make you mad!! Nothing a hose clamp doesn't fix though!

~Nick
Heck, Nick. I thought he was telling me I was wrong! The jokes on you!
Old 08-29-2006, 04:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 4x4dually
Heck, Nick. I thought he was telling me I was wrong! The jokes on you!

Nope I'm thinkin he was telling me I was wrong.......well since he quoted me and all!! But he may be correct in me being wrong......everybody keeps telling me I'm not right........in the head that is!!!!

~Nick
Old 08-29-2006, 04:26 PM
Banned

I guess to explain myself a little better.........the one on my axle has the two hoses going to it, now right after I first lifted it the hoses were a tad bit to short and kept popping off. Well evidentally both of the hoses do not have to be attached for mine to engage and disengage out of 4wheel, only one of them does.....however it does have to be the correct hose or it will not work......I found that out.

The other line I re-attached but it kept falling off......but it made no difference in the way it worked. I could shift into 4hi, 4low, and back into 2 wheel drive and everything worked just fine.

OH and one more thing......if that hose does pop off when it's the front is engaged.....it WILL disengage!! So I'm not saying I'm right or mine works right, but that's the way it works.

~Nick
Old 08-29-2006, 04:33 PM
Banned

I have a master plan on scratch paper to make it work how I want it to. I required two of these valves, but it will work....I think. I'll post a nice drawing of it tomorrow when I have a chance to draw it up all nice like. I'm outta here.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:33 PM
Chapter President

Sheesh.... Hey you two! I can't keep up....

I wasn't suggesting ANYBODY was wrong......

What I was trying to imply was that DC used a couple of variations on the vacuum central axle disconnect over the years......4x4dually's truck uses the vacuum method that I was suggesting rather than the single throw vacuum Nick suggested.

As for wanting to be able to manually shift the axle disconnect in and out of lock without moving the transfer case shifter out of low, 4x4dually, you are most certainly correct that would need a directional control valve to do this. I didn't realize this is what you wanted to accomplish.....but I have to ask, why? Most of us just use 2 low for shuffling trailers around and don't need the funtion you describe.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:46 PM
Banned

Sheesh.... Hey you two! I can't keep up....

I wasn't suggesting ANYBODY was wrong......

What I was trying to imply was that DC used a couple of variations on the vacuum central axle disconnect over the years......4x4dually's truck uses the vacuum method that I was suggesting rather than the single throw vacuum Nick suggested.

As for wanting to be able to manually shift the axle disconnect in and out of lock without moving the transfer case shifter out of low, 4x4dually, you are most certainly correct that would need a directional control valve to do this. I didn't realize this is what you wanted to accomplish.....but I have to ask, why? Most of us just use 2 low for shuffling trailers around and don't need the funtion you describe.

Ahh so mine is considered a single throw?? Hmm good to know..thanks!! I don't know squat either about axles and stuff so I was just trying to describe how the Jeeps worked.

~Nick
Old 08-29-2006, 04:53 PM
Chapter President

Hold on there! Don't hold me to it.....yours could be a double throw if the hose that falls off and does not make the axle disconnect when in 4WD has vacuum in 2WD. I have never actually seen one of these single circuit vacuum actuators for myself but have heard that they exist.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:00 PM
Banned

Yeah I have no flippin clue what it is, all I know is I want different axles with MANUAL HUBS!!!

~Nick
Old 08-30-2006, 07:45 AM
Banned

.....but I have to ask, why? Most of us just use 2 low for shuffling trailers around and don't need the funtion you describe.
The same reason I needed an AFE, 5 inch stack, Edge, injectors, turbo,......because it is cool! And the wife lets me! No, really, i just though if I was going to the trouble to modify, that I'd go all the way. I'll probably just put this single valve on to block the shift in either direction. That is simplier. I'd need another one of these $50 valves to make it fully controllable. I sure wish it was completely electronic. I can deal with that a lot easier!!!

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:12 PM
Banned

Here is a picture of the solenoid valve mounted for my 2wd lo conversion. I used the existing bolt, which I stripped . Looks neat and out of the way. I didn't want to mount it on the skid plate end of the hard pipes 'cause that is where all the mud gathers from my road. Hopefully, I can get the control wire and switch mounted tonight and test it.

Notice I just unplugged the red line and put the valve in the middle of it. The valve I got had three ports, so I just plugged that extra one. O, and another thing, that old stock turbo wastegate 45 deg fitting came in handy for something after all!
Old 09-15-2006, 08:42 AM
Banned

It actually works!

Well, I finally got the wires ran to the soleniod last night and it actaully works. I had to go back and put thread lock on the fitings to the valve because at first it didn't, but now it actually works! I'm stoked. Can you tell?

I can flip the switch then shift into 4Lo and the front won't lock in until I turn the switch off. I just got in the pasture and drove around in circles and made sure it didn't hop until I flipped the switch off. I guess that would be considered a PASS.

Quick Reply: 2WD Low Conversion Question