Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

24 valve p-pumped done! GREAT workin!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 10:35 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Exactly. Fatiguing a line that has to contain 20,000+ psi is a bad idea.

Even if it's "redneck", you guys still get kudos for having the ***** and knowledge to pull it off.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What fuel pump is used? Mechanical?
Old 03-29-2006, 01:43 PM

congrads for gettin' er done!..............now on the vice grip bent lines, last year someone had a clamp loose on the 5/6 injector lines and it was bad with a capitol b, the line ruptured and made for a tow bill and one heck of a mess, if it would have poped on a good pull it could have gone up in flames. if your lines can vibrate at all....fix it now!
Old 03-29-2006, 06:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ds1rider
What fuel pump is used? Mechanical?
oh sorry. ummm he uses a electrical pump, makin 30 PSI.

and that about the vice grip, bending, that was my imagination, i forgot to answer how and with with what he bent them.

Hohn, its not the first time, you dont agree with all of them ¿us? rednecks.... but
do you see any of the lines on the picture, getting to thin, meaning not getting enough fuel through it? those lines are very hard, and wont get thinner so easy. imo
Old 03-29-2006, 08:54 PM

IVE DONE THE P-PUMP CONVERSION, AND STILL DONT AGREE ON BENDING YOUR OWN LINES IM GONNA HAVE TO AGREE WITH HOHN ON THIS ONE...

SORRY BUT I JUST DONT THINKS IT IS SAFE TO RE-BEND LINES THAT HOLD THAT MUCH PRESSURE ITS KINDA LIKE REBUILDING A HYDRALIC HOSE THATS ALREADY BUSTED ONCE, ITS GONNA GIVER AT SOME POINT.

AND AS FOR THE ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP ONLY PUTTING OUT 30 PSI IT NEEDS NEARLY FIFTY AT WOT.

ANOTHER THING YOU DID NOT MENTION IS THAT THE ENDS FOR THE VP ARE DIFFERENT THAN THOSE FOR THE P7100.

SO THEY CUT BRAZED AND REBENT THE LINES.....DONT TRY THIS AT HOME!!!!!

JAKE
Old 03-29-2006, 09:09 PM

I have to admit that in my 44 years of farming 90 miles from nowhere that I have brazed and arc welded a few injection lines on tractors and combines, Ive fixed a few that wore thru from rubbing against one another, just braze them, ran them for as long as I had the machine,all John Deere equipment, for years, you know when your that far away from parts and the sun is shinning in the middle of the day in harvest time, one makes do with what is at hand, anyone one I welded or brazed never ever needed fixing again.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:52 PM

WHATEVER BLOWS YOUR SKIRT UP BUDDY

BUT I DO NOT BELIEVE IN EDIT THINGS... JUST DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME AND GET IT OVER WITH.

JMO
JAKE
Old 03-29-2006, 10:00 PM

jake said:

they did no cutting no brazing, just bending.
ok every1 buy the over $400.00 inj lines! he wanted the redneck way, doing it cheap.

they did 2 much bending, (one way then back, and then the other way.... and one line cracked. i think if you get the line right at the first time it'll work.

HOHN: why 20,000 psi? dont the injectors pop off at ¿3000 - 4000 psi?
Old 03-29-2006, 10:20 PM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by cummnz4x4pwr
It would not be a good idea to bend your own because they can crack and kink
Jmo
Jake
Originally Posted by 12valve
and one line cracked

so now your telling me you THINK if you got it right the first time they wouldnt crack????????

but earlier you said their to hard to crack or kink??????

Jake
Old 03-30-2006, 03:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am going to get some flak for this, but I was about 20000 miles away from the nearest vato zone, and had to fix a broken injector line on a marine 180 hp motor. What did I do? Took the line off, cut a half inch out of it on either side of the break, and put a swagelock ball valve in there. I am not sure what the pressure rating of that valve, but it was probably in the neighborhood of 3000 psi. NR 1 myth that needs to be put to rest, if an injector line breaks in half, which is what I have seen 2 of them do, it will drop that cylinder immediately. You will notice it unless you are a total moron, and it will drip fuel. You won't develop 3000 psi if you have a busted line. Pressure is defined as resistance to flow. There is no resistance, and it will just drip out. If you have a crack, it will spray out, which I have seen 1 high pressure line do. You find it with a piece of paper, because the spray is so fine that you will never know where is until it hits the paper and you hold the paper up to the light and look for wet spots. It will not cause a fire if it is a mist from a cracked injector line, not on a Cummins, like your or I are running. This leak from the high pressure line I found was on a 6bta p-pumped just like ours. It was spraying directly on the front of the exhaust manifold, the hottest place on these engines. It did not meet the lower explosive limit concentration to catch fire. It just made a big black hard shell of coked fuel. Don't listen to these guys about the catastrophic consequences of hot rodding your Cummins on the cheap. There is a possibility that you will blow your truck up, but you probably won't. If you are that worried about it, put some of the plastic wire covering that you can get from any parts store over your injection lines on the exhaust side of your engine.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:44 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 12valve
jake said:

they did no cutting no brazing, just bending.
ok every1 buy the over $400.00 inj lines! he wanted the redneck way, doing it cheap.

they did 2 much bending, (one way then back, and then the other way.... and one line cracked. i think if you get the line right at the first time it'll work.

HOHN: why 20,000 psi? dont the injectors pop off at ¿3000 - 4000 psi?
Yes, the injectors will pop at a much lower pressure.

But the pump can raise pressure faster than the injector can relieve it. The pressure CONTINUES to rise, even after the injector has popped open.

Injectors are NOT like a popoff on an air compressor or something-- they don't open up and they just relieve all the pressure.

The pressure in the lines drops when the pump stops pumping-- NOT because the injectors have opened.

jh
Old 03-30-2006, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by cummnz4x4pwr

so now your telling me you THINK if you got it right the first time they wouldnt crack????????

but earlier you said their to hard to crack or kink??????

Jake
it didnt crack while bending it! it cracked later, i have no clue what they did. i called him and he told me that after we drove it for about 5 weeks....maybe it was vibrating like dodge demon said. clear?
Old 03-30-2006, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by smoke_pedal
Don't listen to these guys about the catastrophic consequences of hot rodding your Cummins on the cheap. .

thanks
Old 03-30-2006, 03:01 PM

It's cool to see someone do this on the cheap, good job. I appreciate the nay sayers but don't let them get under your skin. I've done plenty of cheapo mods on all kinds of things that weren't the best but they always worked just fine. I quit posting most of the stuff I do along time ago because people who haven't tried it or don't really understand things try to shoot it down.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by yarddog
It's cool to see someone do this on the cheap, good job. I appreciate the nay sayers but don't let them get under your skin. I've done plenty of cheapo mods on all kinds of things that weren't the best but they always worked just fine. I quit posting most of the stuff I do along time ago because people who haven't tried it or don't really understand things try to shoot it down.
Couldnt have said it better myself yarddog, if i posted the things i rigged, a few of these nay sayers would have a heart attack.

Quick Reply: 24 valve p-pumped done! GREAT workin!