Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

2002 Dodge 2500 performance Mod Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can purchase a muffler delete pipe from Geno's Garage. I would get a full 4" budget get from a vendor like Power by Poole or others.

Do you know what lift pump you have? If you still have the one of the side of the block you are better off because you can put a Holley Blue feeding it as a pusher pump. If you have the intank pump you can run a Holley Red in front of the tank mounted on the frame well just the same as you would have done with the Holley Blue.

Don't spend the money on the CFM, there is a pretty sweet intake horn being made by some guys over on TDR, you can PM me and I will get you the guys e-mail. If your not planning to make some serious power this is not really needed at all.

The Juice w/ Attitude is a really good chip, I had one but sold it to change to something different.

You will defanitly want some type of tranny upgrades to save it. If this is ALL you plan to do I think a single disc torque convertor will suit you well with a transgo shift kit or a complete valve body if you don't want to go through that trouble if installing the shift kit.

I think the Icebox is a really good intake for these trucks, price isn't to bad at all for a metal box.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:06 PM

i have no idea what lift pump i have, the truck is a stock 2002,
Old 01-15-2008, 03:31 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do the fuel system first, I would buy a Airdog. I would get the Quadzilla Adrenaline before any other box on the market, has gauges just like the Juice, but more options & more power. Some shops around here can bend 3 1/2" pipes to make muffler deletes...should be a shop near you.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by joe189man
So just cut out the muffler? so the fuel system is more important than an exhaust? Sweet video by the way
For the power you'll have, yes. Also, don't turn that Edge up to high with a stock tranny. After you get the fuel pressure rock solid, start saving up for some tranny parts so you can start using all the power the Edge has to offer. Modifyng these trucks is a slippery slope, so go ahead and accept the fact you'll need a tranny sooner or later...you'll always want more power.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:00 PM

Ice box intake=YES
Amsoil BAHF=NO-The Icebox comes with an Amsoil filter already installed if you choose that option. So no need for a BHAF.
CFM Intake=NO--not really necessary with ur mods. No real gain with mods listed.
MBRP 4 in. Exhaust stainless=MAYBE--Just do a muffler delete as mentioned. I removed the muffler but left the resonator on mine. Sounds good and the resonator is straight through, so no restrictions there.
and an Edge Juice with Attitude=YES
Depending on ur mileage and condition of the trans., a tourqe converter and valve body should suffice. The money that u were gonna spend on the CFM could go toward this.

Take the money that ur were gonna spend on an exhaust system and add a fuel system of some sort. FASS--AIRDOG--GLACIER--BD--or a Vulcan Big Line kit with a Holley Blue would be good.

The Juice/Attitude will have all of ur gauges, so ur covered there. With these mods you should have a descent gain in MPG (if you can keep ur foot out of it--ha ha) and a significant increase in power. Just my $.02
Old 01-15-2008, 05:20 PM

This may help you with the fuel system questions: Pictures of fuel system upgrade

You'll also want to get a J-Hook and install that. It goes on the turbo, and holds the wastegate shut a little longer than stock (wastegate bleeds off boost at a certain level). This will add some boost. Stock is around 20psi, J-Hook will allow 27-28psi.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by hink
Depending on ur mileage and condition of the trans., a tourqe converter and valve body should suffice. The money that u were gonna spend on the CFM could go toward this.

Take the money that ur were gonna spend on an exhaust system and add a fuel system of some sort. FASS--AIRDOG--GLACIER--BD--or a Vulcan Big Line kit with a Holley Blue would be good.

The Juice/Attitude will have all of ur gauges, so ur covered there. With these mods you should have a descent gain in MPG (if you can keep ur foot out of it--ha ha) and a significant increase in power. Just my $.02
I pretty much concur with everything Hink said, but I will also say that the soon-to-be-released Quadzilla Adrenaline might be worth a look over the Juice/Attitude.
http://quadzillapower.com/products/a...ine_98-02.html
Old 01-15-2008, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by can17
I pretty much concur with everything Hink said, but I will also say that the soon-to-be-released Quadzilla Adrenaline might be worth a look over the Juice/Attitude.
http://quadzillapower.com/products/a...ine_98-02.html
If ya don't mind waitin a little bit since we're still in the beta testing stages. They say soon, but I do not know for sure when.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:54 PM

yeah no joke once u get started u want more power. me i got my smarty, then got to thinking man these trucks sound really good with an exhaust so i bought a summit racing brand exhaust. then i got to thinking i need more boost so i bought a j-hook, then i wanted more power and smoke so i bought the injector nozzles. now i am smoking and wooping ricers on the track. but still it isnt a race rig i only take it out friday nights to race. but now i am thinking about fabricating my own traction bars and saving up to buy a air dog and a trans. gee will this ever end!!!
Old 01-16-2008, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by psd tuner
gee will this ever end!!!

Nope.

Its all worth it in the end, anyways.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by 1BAD4X4
Nope.

Its all worth it in the end, anyways.
Thats for sure, I tracked down another Edge EZ and Smarty for myself, haven't stopped there, tracked down a TST PM3, not putting it on yet but now I got to get a tranny before I do much of anything more than that. Got a deal worked out on a turbocharger as well too .
Old 01-16-2008, 06:54 AM

Like a lot of people on here, I started out with just an EZ for a little more towing power. Now look at me, I slipped down the slope in a bad way.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:44 AM

Your truck is bone stock correct? First thing before any BOMBs is gauges. I don't like the "all in one" gauges/Edge or Quad style. Why? Because if they ever have any type of failure/problem, your gauges are gone. I would contact Eric at http://www.vulcanperformance.com for gauges and addressing your fuel system. He has the best prices and service around. He is also very knowledgable regarding the fuel systems for our trucks. Gauges are critical! Especially a fuel pressure gauge. The two others you need are a boost and pyrometer/egt. I would also consider a tranny gauge since you have an auto.

About the fuel system. The 24V trucks are notorious for fuel system issues. It starts with the lift pump (located towards the cab, behind the fuel filter canister), this $150-200 dollar pump is prone to failure. It is an electric pump and never should have should have been mounted on the side of the block. In this location it has to "lift" or draft fuel from the tank. This is a problem! Pumps like this are much more efficient and durable when "pushing" fuel.

When this pump fails (it will) it starves the VP44 injection pump. The VP44 is cooled and lubricated by fuel. When the supply from the lift pump drops below 5 psi (original Dodge specs was 10 psi, but they dropped it when they had to replace tons of them under warranty), the VP44 starts to have problems. When this pump fails, your truck stops running! Replacement injection pumps are $1000 minimum.

Unless you are going to be running over 400hp. I would recommend talking with Eric about one of his LP relocation kits. Cost is around $200. This kit will put the LP on the frame rail, where it should have been in the first place. The LP will be more efficient in that it is "pushing" fuel instead of "drafting". It is also away from the heat and vibration of the engine, which are never a good thing for an electric pump. And last it makes it much easier to change out, then the factory location. I ran one of these for a long time. It gave me better psi and more consistent psi.

If you are going high hp. I would look at the Airdog or Fass systems. Again Eric can give you alot of info on these.

Once you have completed gauges and fuel system upgrades, you can safely add some mild power BOMB's. You have to stay mild until you address your transmission. I'm not knowledgable regarding auto's, but I do know that the stock autos are close to maxed out in their stock form. It is easier to "fix' it before it fails, then to blow it up and have to replace it.

I would also add an AFE air intake and a 4" exhaust. You don't need a SS kit, unless "bling" is a big deal. Skip the CFM, bang for the buck doesn't justify it, another "bling" item. These will help with engine performance and keeping your EGT's in check.

The best advice I ever received was "Do it right the first time! Gauges and fuel system FIRST, then BOMB's away"!

Good luck and have fun!
Old 01-16-2008, 09:07 AM

Everybody, thanks for the advice and please keep it coming, i learned a lot in just one day with this thread
Old 01-16-2008, 09:35 AM

Don't waste your time worrying about airflow at this point. Intake, exhaust first is the gasser mentality. These mods help keep temps down on a turbo diesel, but they don't make power, at least not on a stockish truck.

Start with a lift pump, guages, and a box.

Quick Reply: 2002 Dodge 2500 performance Mod Questions