Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

12V Cold Weather Miss

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12V Cold Weather Miss

Im not sure if its the weather or the fuel or injectors or LP or what. Maybe you knowledgable gurues can help. When I start my truck when its cold out (10above or colder) i get a little studder out of it and it dies. Then i have to hold my foot on the throttle to keep it goin but its still missin like its gellin up. I run Howes to a bit more than the advised mix and still have probs. Ive even dumped a whole bottle of PS Red in the tank with no results. After i let it warm up on high idle (ice scraper trick) for bout 10 min it still misses in first and second gear. By the time i get up to third its pretty much gone. After the engine is up to operating temp it runs good but kinda has slight stumble at idle and smells like raw fuel just a bit. Also smokes a smidge of blue when idling at opp. temp. Is this a sign of bad injectors or maybe the overflow valve (pressure seems good according to guage)? Or am i just givin it too much fuel to burn (look at sig for eng stats) on the cold mornings? Any ideas guys?
Old 12-09-2007, 01:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine does the same thing. I have to give it a little pedal until the volt gauge comes up for the first time from the grid heaters then all is good.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:39 AM

Do you see any smoke out of your tailpipe? If so, is it white or is it some other color? When was the last time that your timing was checked?
Old 12-09-2007, 09:56 AM
C2O
Banned

shouldnt be a prob. with the extra rack travel. now it could be a dribbling injector. hope not. it will act like that with no fuel pressure but since you checked that you're good. i have seen them with retarted timing smoke whitish and bluish smoke on startup for about 5 min and then clearup. timing is quicker to check than injectors if you have the tools.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:43 PM

I dont have the tools to do so. where could i possibly buy the tools to check/set timing on my engine? I also forgot to mention that my milage went to heck. i used to get about 18-20 in the summer and now i only get at the best 15 and worst was 11 with no changes in fueling. the smoke is a deffinate blueish white while idling even when its warmed up. in the summer its just blue
Old 12-09-2007, 08:48 PM

Was your timing at the stock setting? You can pull the timing pin plug out of the pump, and with a mirror, watch though the hole for the little arm on the pump shaft to appear. If its in the stock position, you shouldn't have the move the engine very far to get the timing pin to pop into the cam gear. If its advanced, you'll have to bar the engine backwards a bit. If the timing slipped and is retarded, you'll have to bar the engine forward to pop the pin in.