Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

10,000 to spend!! Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Invest in Caterpillar stock.

It has been a very good investment for a long time. Sorry, just how I am feeling today, after adding up all the money I have spent on this crap over the years and what I have gotten out of it. It's like a drug, for me at least. Some people are fine spending x amount and being satisfied, then there are others that just keep waiting for the next big thing and throwing their money at it. Not meant to rant or whine, just beware.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:35 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Other than the purchase price of my truck, I have less than $2K in bombs and upgrades. If you count things I had to replace anyway (shocks, clutch, tires) then the price goes up a bunch.

jh
Old 09-29-2007, 01:40 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Geico266
Put your money in the bank and use it to buy something that will appreciate during the upcoming ressesion.

Cash is king.
Better yet, convert that cash into something that will keep it's value. Since cash is being inflated to worthless amount (look at the price of gold and the dollar's increasing weakness on the currency market).

You stuff your money in a mattress and you'll lose 3%-5% per year.

Buy Gold and have a hope of keeping some of the actual purchase power.

Gold isn't an investment-- it's insurance.

Justin
Old 09-29-2007, 12:38 PM
The Guru

for a 500rwhp truck and having a manual you don't need 10k. The pricey part will be the turbo. Unless you going for bigger hp#'s, stay with a decent single. Used parts is tricky as you really don't know what your getting. I think that edge is selling reman boxes. You should start with the fuel system upgrades and the clutch. The other stuff take your time at collecting the stuff. I go thru the same thing repair or go buy a new truck. Put up $15k, pay $800 a month and hate the thing and you have to buy it at the end of the lease or fix my truck for less $$$ and keep and like it. Its not like the truck can't survive until the 500k mark. At 50k a year, thats 10 years. The real pain is fixing and paying for repairs on a new truck cause the warranty is conditional based upon the service department.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Geico266
Put your money in the bank and use it to buy something that will appreciate during the upcoming ressesion.

Cash is king.
That is for sure if a democrat is voted into office
Old 09-29-2007, 12:49 PM

Edge drag comp
Mach 4 injectors
SPS 62 or HTT 62/71
AFE Stage 1 mega cannon
SBC clutch
Redo the head and install o-rings and studs

This combo is a very reliable usable 500-525 RWHP combo. Then take the extra cash and have fun....

Doug
Old 09-29-2007, 05:29 PM

Advise

Hey Thanks for all the replies, IM gonna do some studying for a couple days and see what I plan to get. I will keep you all posted on what I get and how it does. You all are always a great help... Thanks again
Old 09-29-2007, 10:24 PM

you have a pm!
Old 09-30-2007, 09:04 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jester1040
Hey Thanks for all the replies, IM gonna do some studying for a couple days and see what I plan to get. I will keep you all posted on what I get and how it does. You all are always a great help... Thanks again
I wish that I would have done more research before ordering my parts. I have a list of my past mods with ratings.
TUNERS:
1. Banks Big Hoss - would not do again.
2. Edge Comp - awesome upgrade.
3. Superchips tuner - decent power adder, but nothing to brag about. [stacked with comp]
4. Smarty- The shibby!
5. Upgraded to Drag comp - great choice
6. Quadzilla XZT+ - Unbelievably smooth box, my choice for towing heavy.
INJECTORS:
1. RV275 - decent power gain, improved mileage.
2. JL 90hp - Smooth injectors, very clean, idled like stock.
3. II Dragon Flow 10 holes - Smoother than stock power/idle, but too smokey for towing or daily driving.
4. II Dragon flow 4 flows - Incredibly smooth, no smoke without box, idle is way smoother than stock....Highly recommended!
TURBOS:
1. HTB2 64/14 - too laggy, way too hot for towing, no fun factor.
2. HTB2 64/12 - about the same as the above, but hotter at wot.
3. HTB2 62/12 - Super fast spoolup, little hot on top
4. HTB2 62/14 - Super fast spoolup, still not happy with egts at wot.
5. Super Stock 62/71 - The best turbo for fun, towing, racing in one combo. Highly recommended, perfect match with my 4 flows.

I could keep going with my list of addictions, but I don't want to make myself feel any worse. I have definately tried them all. Hope this helps.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:18 PM

Jlent, great review, just curious but did you ever try the quickdiesel 64? I wanted to know how spoolup compared to a ss62 because when I had my QD on it was lightening fast. While drag racing there was literally almost zero lag between shifts (manual tranny).

Jester, little advice on picking mods, I think in the end get what YOU want, take everybody's opinion into account but in the end make the decision for yourself. For example I asked several ppl what the best turbo for my truck was and kept hearing 64/14, I originally wanted a Silver Bullet but listened to them. The 64/14 worked awesome but I wasnt completely satisfied because I still didn't have the turbo that I originally wanted. Now that I have the SB, does my truck run any better?, not yet really, but I am totally happy with my decision because it is what I wanted! There's satisfaction in knowing that you personally picked everything that went on your truck, not just listened and ordered. Don't get me wrong though, multiple bad reviews by members here does not bode well for a product (guys on here are extremely knowledgeable) , however don't let one nay sayer or bad review sway you, every truck is different! JMHO
-Alex
Old 09-30-2007, 07:40 PM

Don't forget the Hot Rod VP44 injection pump with a FASS system! It's the best upgrade I've done to my 24v.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:04 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Aosipower
Jlent, great review, just curious but did you ever try the quickdiesel 64? I wanted to know how spoolup compared to a ss62 because when I had my QD on it was lightening fast. While drag racing there was literally almost zero lag between shifts (manual tranny).

-Alex
I never needed to, but It is only $300 to upgrade later if I decided to. With my mods, boxes on kill I only see 1300* wot ever since I adjusted my wastegate to 45psi. It spools lightening fast & I tow 15k# through mountains of PA & W.V. Personally I think the SS62 is unbeaten by any other turbo on the market.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:22 AM

Leave it stock and buy a Bike / Quad?

Jim
Old 10-01-2007, 09:06 AM

I thing the best thing to do is send to money to the foundaiton of fat guys running diesels ,, i'm the president ,,if you send it to me i'l make sure it gets used ........
Old 10-01-2007, 09:56 AM

This is my Wish list. The only differance is I have an auto so tack another $4000 on for my tranny.

1. Formula 1 Diesel, Helis 2 Cam w/mechanical lift pump lobe. $750
2. Formula 1 Diesel, Mechanical lift pump $150
3. Formula 1 Diesel, Valve springs $650
4. Formula 1 Diesel, Mach4 to Mach 6 Injectors $900-1100
5. ATS, 3 piece exhaust manifold $500
6. ATS, Arc flow intake manifold, $350
7. Cold Air intake/Filter $350
8. Torgue Tech, Turbo Back Dual stacks. $640
9. Turbo, Super Stock 62/71 $1500 estimate??
10. Gauges. (if you don't have them, you need them) $400

The total to this point is about $6500. So that leaves $3500 for
11.Head Gasket, Rings, Studs $unsure. ???
12. Clutch???/tranny upgrades?????
13. And Stacked Computer moduals.?????

That sould eat up about $10,000. I'm not sure what kind of numbers you would see with this combo. it would have to be close to 500hp. but I think it would have good drivability and not too crazy EGT's.

What do you think?

Quick Reply: 10,000 to spend!! Recommendations