Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

You think this is a scam or what ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You think this is a scam or what ???

I got this email twice in the last month .... and am just trying to figure out if it is as big of a scam as I think it is or if I am just too suspicious. There are a few nonsense letters that follow each sentence in the email but in the original email, they are colored a very, very light grey (hard to see them at all) and I have no idea why they are there in the first place.
I also noticed a typo or two in there ... not that I am that picky, but usually scam artists can't spell for crap.

Look for yourself ....

We have found your resume at Monster.com and would like to suggest you a "Transfer manager" Nj li

vacancy. We have studied your resume and are happy to inform you that your skills ZT kxM

completely meet our requirements for this position.
Njli NjM

This is a part-time position. Your job will be to transfer money between our clients.

Your job will consist in the following:MjQ 4YT

Receive the check by mailZT AyM

Cash the check within a business day, excluding days offNGRj MmMx

8% of the amount are left for yourself as a commission. You take it immediately MWN hZD

The rest of the sum is to be sent via western union to us to the address which will be OWE 0OW

mentioned in the e-mail. Transaction fees shall be paid out of the same sum.OW E0Z

Your schedule will be flexible. You will need to spend on average 1-2 hours per day, Monday-Friday.
Njli NjM

This is a work-at-home position. All communication will be online.
Njl iN

This job will allow you to:
Nj liN

- Get additional free time; MGF kZTU

- Efficiently work at home;
- Increase your income; MGF kZT

General requirements:
Njli Nj

- Good communications skills YjRj ZTBh

- Honesty, responsibility and promptness in operations; Yj RjZ

- Internet and e-mail skills; Experience in online work; YmY zN

- Prior customer service experience is a good benefit;
ZWI xYm

During the trial period you will be paid $1,500 per month. You will also be keeping 8 percent commission
Nj liNj

from every check received from our customer. With the current ammount of clients your average
YjYz NzNj

income will be about up to $2,000 USD per month. After the trial period your base salary will go up to
ZjFm YWQ5

$2,250 USD per month, plus 8 percent commission.After the trial period you may ask for additional hours or
Nj li

proceed full-time.OWJ mO

If you are interested in this position, and would like to know more, please e-mail me

Mm RkZD

We will contact you within 2 days

<<< END >>>

PISTOL
Old 10-14-2007, 07:38 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Yes sir the same old send you a bad check and have you cash it and send them the funds scam, only with a little different twist. Two weeks later your bank will demand the money back because the check turns out to be fraudulent.

You are out the money PLUS the western Union fees...these people are gutsy if nothing else.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:40 PM

Sounds alot like money laundering to me. Real sketchy
Old 10-14-2007, 07:41 PM

Monster.com hacked bigtime just a few weeks ago? The Hackers got a TON of peoples personal info. I would no longer think Monster is all that credible.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:47 PM

'swhat I thought. I had no plan to participate but thought I would pass it on if in fact it was a scam. Why would someone pay me 8% of someone elses money to do something that the bank would do for them for less ???

Crazy world. I just wonder what juicy things are happening with my resume behind my back now .

PISTOL
Old 10-15-2007, 02:53 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Nice scam

Look into the e-mails source code and look for a reference to an image. A lot of scammers do use an embedded link to an image on the web to check whether the e-mail address is valid. If the pic gets downloaded they know your e-mail is being checked by you. The "invisible" letter combos do identify your mail even further (eg if you answer).
Now even if you don't fall for the scam (what a pity, they would have earned a couple k bucks within weeks) they can still sell your e-mail addy for some 1-5 US$ since it's a valid addy with a proven approach to circumvent the spam filters.

AlpineRAM
Old 10-15-2007, 04:20 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rob, i got a regular mail letter two days ago allegedly froma canadian company "trying to expand into the US market"... wanted the exact same thing, only I got to keep 10%...and I was to mail the $$ to a Po Box they would provide.... I should have sent it on to teh postal inspectors, bu tI just tossed it..
I think it was Nytek Inc., IIRC.......the scammers are expanding to use the US Mail Service now I guess....
Old 10-15-2007, 07:15 AM

I would forward the email to spoof@monster.com. To make them aware and hopefully block whoever is sending it, and hopefully warn any other potential victims of this obvious scam
Old 10-15-2007, 07:31 AM
HOV

Nigerian scam in slightly different skin.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Chrisreyn
Rob, i got a regular mail letter two days ago allegedly froma canadian company "trying to expand into the US market"... wanted the exact same thing, only I got to keep 10%...and I was to mail the $$ to a Po Box they would provide.... I should have sent it on to teh postal inspectors, bu tI just tossed it..
I think it was Nytek Inc., IIRC.......the scammers are expanding to use the US Mail Service now I guess....
Sheez .... I didn't think anyone other than bill collectors even used the regular mail system anymore. That sounds like a real desperate scammer .... you better send them a couple bucks before he starves to death !!

PISTOL
Old 10-15-2007, 04:06 PM

What!! You mean I shouldn't have mailed them those last 2 checks. EEK!! No I didn't really fall for this. Most definetely a scam. Don't walk but run away.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:49 AM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Anyone dumb enough to fall for something like that ain't smart enough to have any money in the first place.

Many mega-millionaires would jump at a legitimate chance to get an 8% return on investment in less that two weeks, let alone make 8% off of someone else's money for simply handling it once.

An 8% return per month = 96% per year, pretty good interest for anyone's investment.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:56 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by BearKiller

An 8% return per month = 96% per year, pretty good interest for anyone's investment.
Sorry, but accumulated interest would be 1.08^52=54.706 - so each dollar you invest would be 54.70 dollars at the end of the year... if you leave your cash in there.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:45 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by AlpineRAM
each dollar you invest would be 54.70 dollars at the end of the year... if you leave your cash in there.

Where do I sign up ??

I figure if I risk twenty bucks x 54.70 = nearly $1100

I could soon be rich.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:57 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

One thing that has kept me out of trouble online.
If it even remotely sounds like a scam, assume it is.

Everyone knows how businesses operate. anyone trying differently is a scam.

Quick Reply: You think this is a scam or what ???