Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.
View Poll Results: what do you think?
Hoss is da man, no
33.78%
Geico's question. He knows, yes
56.76%
your both wrong its a vto
9.46%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

will the plane fly?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 10:46 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Easy fella. I'm pretty particular about who takes me for a ride.

This thread has been nothing but fun for me. If folks are getting upset over it then they are taking it WAY too seriously.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:48 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It has been a hoot to read through this whole thing, I can't believe that there is almost 500 posts on this in what??? LIKE 2 WEEKS!!!! I don't understand the people that get upset about this, it's just a simple discussion on who's got a bigger brain than the other

~Nick
Old 12-07-2005, 10:52 AM

Oh yea this is FUN..... Im at work and getting payed so everything thats no work is fun!!!! LOL

the question is CAn a conveyer belt match the speed of the wheels on the airplane. exactly at any given TIMe? if then it can. then the Plane cant move. if it cant then the plane can take off fine........ Just think about that for a second....

JUSTIN
Old 12-07-2005, 10:56 AM

There are many ways of looking at the same problem and I for one have enjoyed it but it is time for a new problem ,ok will my plane with a payload of 700 lbs get off the ground with Hoss and his cement suitcase and if it does will I need to lighten the load once airborne .
Old 12-07-2005, 10:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What a lot of people are missing is that it's more of a word problem or a riddle than it is a physics problem. A Newtonian physics problem, anyway.

It doesn't matter that the properties of the "treadmill" that's postulated don't seem to match the properties of real-world treadmills. It doesn't matter that the treadmill creates wind when the question says "there is no wind." Accept the question as it is, not as you think the items in the question work in the real world, and the answer is no, it will not fly.

Now I can see where it might be a quantum physics problem, a metaphorical method of asking Does time appear to stand still to an observer moving at the speed of light?
Old 12-07-2005, 10:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by John Halter
will my plane with a payload of 700 lbs get off the ground with Hoss and his cement suitcase and if it does will I need to lighten the load once airborne .

CEMENT SUITCASE!!!! Dang that's a good one!!

~Nick
Old 12-07-2005, 11:00 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gotlift01
.... it's just a simple discussion on who's got a bigger brain than the other
True. As I said before, I will gladly admit that they are wrong.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:04 AM

If the conveyor can and the question says it can match tire speed my question is can you make belt move that fast and not create wind and a lot of it and this will create lift and cause the plane to fly .
I am at home getting paid , retired got you beat their to.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the conveyor can and the question says it can match tire speed my question is can you make belt move that fast and not create wind and a lot of it and this will create lift and cause the plane to fly .
I am at home getting paid , retired got you beat their to.
Ah, but the question states flat out that there is no wind. A real conveyor might just do what you say, but not the one in the question, which is a special conveyor...
Old 12-07-2005, 11:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jfpointer
Ah, but the question states flat out that there is no wind. A real conveyor might just do what you say, but not the one in the question, which is a special conveyor...
DING DING!!! That's why I was arguing the whole lift issue, because it originally stated that there was no wind...........

~Nick
Old 12-07-2005, 11:13 AM

Yes thier is no wind before you start the aircraft then thier is a lot of wind unless you are saying now we can't even start the plane in which case you win it won't move . If this is the case I should be able to turn the plane around and take off in the other direction , I didn't read anything about not being able to turn around .
Old 12-07-2005, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Gotlift01
DING DING!!! That's why I was arguing the whole lift issue, because it originally stated that there was no wind...........

~Nick

Someone explain to me how the wheels and belt will start to spin if the plane never moves???
Old 12-07-2005, 11:15 AM
Banned

Yes thier is no wind before you start the aircraft then thier is a lot of wind unless you are saying now we can't even start the plane in which case you win it won't move . If this is the case I should be able to turn the plane around and take off in the other direction , I didn't read anything about not being able to turn around .
Well that is what sucks about this whole thing, they don't give you enough info to really base anything off of.....................buncha dang jerks!!!

~Nick
Old 12-07-2005, 11:22 AM

I have had the plane pluged in for two days ,been cold in Ohio I think I will go take off a regular runway just to make sure the old Cessna will still fly ,I am starting to have some real douts .
Old 12-07-2005, 11:25 AM

el plano no flyo. endo de storyo. comprende, amigos?

Quick Reply: will the plane fly?