Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Wife's ticker fixed

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wife's ticker fixed

Had an interesting and scary few days last week. The better half now has a pacemaker and doing well. Her heart stopped and she blacked out while driving alone. She was very lucky and was just inside city limits with low speed limit. No injuries from the auto accident. Less than 10 minutes later and she would have been on the highway doing 65 to 70 mph and a lot different outcome.

First time she has ever blacked out but during the observation in the hospital she continued to black out and we found out it was from her heart stopping for a period of about 10 to 15 seconds. She was given a temporary pacemaker that night and the permanent one the next afternoon.

She had a full cardiac exam last fall and was given a clean bill of health. Even now her heart is very healthy and no restrictions in any arteries, just the signal from the brain to the heart was being interrupted some how.

Doc said this could have been going on for a long time just much shorter time periods so it would not have caused any concerns or even be noticed. She turns 50 in December so not that old.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:27 PM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

That's some scary news. Could have been much worse. Glad to hear she's doing well.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:32 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
WOW!!!!!
Makes one stop and think.
Glad to hear she's doing better.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:58 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
I'm happy for her! I suffer from atrial fibrilation that's largely controlled with meds. When it get's bad,I'm bedridden and trips even to use the bathroom leave me exhausted and out of breath.
Best of luck and continued success with the pacemaker.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:01 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Wow!...so glad to hear the outcome is a good one...prayers sent from WV for a speedy recovery.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:20 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why did she have a full cardiac exam last fall?

Glad she is ok.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:29 AM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Glad she is doing ok. Hard to imagine but it sure could have been worse.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:40 AM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad to hear she is doing well...I just turned 50 myself...And it's scary when things like this happen..
Old 08-23-2012, 04:49 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Danderson
I'm happy for her! I suffer from atrial fibrilation that's largely controlled with meds. When it get's bad,I'm bedridden and trips even to use the bathroom leave me exhausted and out of breath.
Best of luck and continued success with the pacemaker.
My wife has Afib. Didn't know it and went on a jalipeno cheetos kick for months. Wound up in the hospital with congestive heart failure.

Got past that, and put on diet and rat poison. They told her that she would likely be on that for life.

One month later they checked her out and dropped the blood thinner. Question was asked, "have you changed your life style?"

Answer. "Well of course I did. You don't think I want to do that again, do you?"

She's paying attention now, and feeling fine. Very occasional mild episodes don't bother her much.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:07 AM

Last fall she had mild chest pains and made the appointment for the cardiac exam just as a precaution. Not sure what all the tests done at that time were but I do know they did a stress test and chest ultrasound.
Thanks for all the replies and well wishes. She had her first follow up Dr. appointment yesterday and all is good. Even given the go ahead to drive again in a week.
Sparadic dizzy spells can be a sign of this happening. Other than seeing something on a cardiogram I don't know if any tests would show the potential of this happening. If we have Doctors on board they would know a lot more than myself.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:55 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Detecting cardiac electrical abnormalities is very difficult. Usually the only way to find them is during an event. You would be surprised at how many people pass a stress test with flying colors then have an episode later. Having a 12 lead in the field usually finds the problem. bet the medics on scene of her car accident picked right up on it.

I am happy for her and you.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:14 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Hope that all continues to be well!
Old 08-23-2012, 03:50 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Originally Posted by j_martin
and rat poison. They told her that she would likely be on that for life.
Both of my parents (80+) have been on that for years as part of a UCDavis program trial to prevent strokes and control their Afib.
It hasnt killed them yet but my Dad fell into a rose bush last year and looked like he was going to bleed to death.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:06 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin
My wife has Afib. Didn't know it and went on a jalipeno cheetos kick for months. Wound up in the hospital with congestive heart failure.

Got past that, and put on diet and rat poison. They told her that she would likely be on that for life.

One month later they checked her out and dropped the blood thinner. Question was asked, "have you changed your life style?"

Answer. "Well of course I did. You don't think I want to do that again, do you?"

She's paying attention now, and feeling fine. Very occasional mild episodes don't bother her much.
Yeah,my episodes are rare now aside from a little fluttering. I was on rat poison(Warfarin) for about a year until Pradaxa came out. Does the job differently and you don't bleed or bruise so badly. I'm fortunate to not be with Kaiser as my neighbor was told "we don't prescribe that"(otherwards,it's too expensive.)
Old 08-23-2012, 05:02 PM

All is good now. She had her sister pick her up and take shopping for clothes that will cover the incision. Don't think I need to say more than that!!

Quick Reply: Wife's ticker fixed