Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

why do Jap trucks always look overloaded and underrated?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 12:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
why do Jap trucks always look overloaded and underrated?

i rode almost across country last month on the bike, and it was amazing that every import pickup i saw looked like it was struggling.

the Honda Ridgeline is the funniest thing going,

I saw one of those pulling a car trailer, and it was squatting bad....

the trailer had a couch and a love seat on it....???

and i saw a Tacoma with a load in the bed, and it was squatting pretty good

??

would you hire a contractor that arrived in a honda ridgeline?

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...ight=ridgeline

i think is one of the FUNNIEST threads i have seen

Saw a Ridgeline pretending to be a truck...
http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...ight=ridgeline

I say that to myself every time i see a ridgeline.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wanted to reply to this.. but theres so many funnys to be said and i got work to do today.. wouldnt nearly have enough time to write about the japs trucks!

Or should we say, minivans with roofs cut off for the ridgerunt.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:56 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
04ctd,

Why are you even comparing them to a Cummins? Is there some way they might equally compare?

They are built different for different uses, not to haul like a CTD. Not everyone needs the capability or wants the weight of the Dodge. Cool.

I'm glad not all trucks are built the same and Toyotas are very well made.

Oh, by the way, WWll is over and we won.

John
Old 08-04-2007, 01:07 PM

We won the war ?
Old 08-04-2007, 01:17 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

You aint seen nuthin till you been to England...

Ford Focus pulling a 20' travel trailer just aint right.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:18 PM

How about "Why do you alway see 3/4 & 1 ton trucks trying to pull what a MDT should?"
Old 08-04-2007, 01:19 PM

Ive considered getting a Tacoma lately since I don't tow/haul hardly at all like I used to.

However, they are very nice and the build quality is excellent IMO, they are alot more like a car. Even though they are a great vehicle for the majority, they just never will match the capability of what I already have.

Now, to compare a little truck to a 3/4 I believe isn't that far off.

First, MPG, I get about 15/21 but I do drive like a grandma. The Tacoma 17/22.
The cost, Dodge w- markdowns $34k. The Tacoma (they don't come off sticker much since they are pretty popular) $31k.
Now, the load and towing are obviously not going to compare. So I won't go there.

For a few grand more Id almost rather just spend the money to have the more all around capable vehicle. I have the old 1994 Grand Cherokee if I want to drive something smaller around town. That would be the only benefit I guess, size wise they are a good little 4x4 to travel, drive around town, etc.

Well, thats my .02. Not bad vehicles, just depends on all that you need or want.

Have a good one.

PS. I like the 2004 and older Tacoma's. Much more of a "truck" in my opinion. Nicer too. Oh, Honda doesn't make a truck, its a car thingy that thinks its a truck.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:26 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Ok, no names mentioned, to protect the less than intelligent among us.

Some lower canadian types are engaged in a mining operation out in the hills several hours from here. The gentleman who leads this merry band of very capable, hardworking people, doesn't understand certain mechanical concepts.

Hence, he left town the other day, in his honda ridgeline " truck " with a miller bobcat 250 welder, with full cables, a mid sized bottle of oxygen, and one of acetylene, and enough 4" heavy wall squared tubing to finish one of his de-rocker projects.

To his ( or honda's ) credit, he made it within 20 miles of his site, over some of the roughest 'roads' you could imagine travelling on, with street tires, and that load in the back. Now, when he left here, his wheels on the back were sitting much like /----------\ that. I got the call to go fix his truck, but better bring a trailer in case.

Well, the rear suspension, and all that goes with it, was completely torn off of the vehicle. End of list. I looked at what was left of the "frame" and said Nah, load it. So we slung it up with the 988 and set it on my trailer. A second, more professional opinion here in town said " nah, forget it"

Said gentleman now understands, and even though its a ford, is driving a 350 dual wheel crewcab 4x4. It hauls the welder just fine.

Long, but made me crack up
Old 08-04-2007, 03:53 PM

Well cant really make much comments about "jap" trucks considering some "jap" trucks are made in the US where as our trucks are not.

All these threads comparing things only trucks that should be compared here should be CTD, Powerstroke, and Duramax since those are the only ones in a comparable range comparing our CTD to a Ridgeline is like comparing chevette to a corvette (but there both cars??)
Old 08-04-2007, 04:23 PM

I use to have a 96 tacoma with 6 inches of lift and 33's awsome truck would own one again. I bought the my dodge cuz i needed a bigger truck and the price was right.
Old 08-04-2007, 05:01 PM
Banned

I'd say Jap trucks always look overloaded and underrated BECAUSE THEY ARE!! IMO they are highly OVERrated - but only by their owners...just the same way all us Cummins owners are except for one fact...the Cummins trucks CAN and DO perform as we owners know, not some fantasy performances concocted by the Jap-crap truck owners!! Now before all you Jap truck lovers get to foaming at the mouth and angrily bang out flames here, I'm referring strictly to all the claims of abundant power/speed/towing/etc that Jap truck owners always seem to brag about; not the real reason these 'trucks' are popular; for daily commuting, soccer Mom's and maybe showing off at the beach or something equally less demanding. The Jap trucks rule the car-qualified arena and they should leave the real TRUCK stuff to the REAL trucks!! IMO, as always. ;-)

Originally Posted by Wetspirit
(edit)...Oh, by the way, WWll is over and we won...(edit)

John
Oh, I'm not so sure WWII IS over quite yet(the Japs are still bombing us with their crap), and as in any war...NO ONE ever really 'wins'...but that's for another thread...
Old 08-04-2007, 07:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 92DuallyCTD
I'd say Jap trucks always look overloaded and underrated BECAUSE THEY ARE!! IMO they are highly OVERrated - but only by their owners...just the same way all us Cummins owners are except for one fact...the Cummins trucks CAN and DO perform as we owners know, not some fantasy performances concocted by the Jap-crap truck owners!! Now before all you Jap truck lovers get to foaming at the mouth and angrily bang out flames here, I'm referring strictly to all the claims of abundant power/speed/towing/etc that Jap truck owners always seem to brag about; not the real reason these 'trucks' are popular; for daily commuting, soccer Mom's and maybe showing off at the beach or something equally less demanding. The Jap trucks rule the car-qualified arena and they should leave the real TRUCK stuff to the REAL trucks!! IMO, as always. ;-)
I feel dumber for having read that, and most of this thread... Except for wetspirit. Great post.

The problem is not the vehicles, but the owners that buy a vehicle that does not meet their need adequately. You could make the same comment about me if I tried to tow a D-6... They are great vehicles when used as they are designed to be used.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:04 PM

At least NOW we can say that the profits made by Chrysler will be remaining in America instead of going to Japan or some other country. BUY AMERICAN !!

Its proably to late but these young people don't seem to understand that concept , i doubt you will find many veterans buying Jap trucks
Old 08-04-2007, 10:13 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Wetspirit
04ctd,

Why are you even comparing them to a Cummins? Is there some way they might equally compare?

They are built different for different uses, not to haul like a CTD. Not everyone needs the capability or wants the weight of the Dodge. Cool.

I'm glad not all trucks are built the same and Toyotas are very well made.

Oh, by the way, WWll is over and we won.

John
watching the Iwo Jima 2 DVD set now...bought it for MadHat, gonna watch it before i pass it on...

no, i am NOT talking about a HUGE load, i am talking about something that don't look like much.

like the empty car trailer on the one truck. with just the trailer tongue weight, and the couches on there, it was hurting.

Originally Posted by displacedtexan

I feel dumber for owners that buy a vehicle that does not meet their need adequately. They are great vehicles when used as they are designed to be used.
that's my point - they are being used in a normal manner, i mean, what i would expect a Chevy/Ford/Dodge to carry.

the local contractors here LOAD up all their 1500 series trucks, and they look like they are about ready to give out.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by displacedtexan
They are great vehicles when used as they are designed to be used.

The biggest problem is the honda is "designed" to be used as a truck.

Its shaped, somewhat like a truck. Has a bed like a truck. Heck, its even sold like a truck, and has awd too boot.

Read the reviews.

You take it off road? Boom there goes the struts.

You toss merely hundreds of pounds in the bed.. Poof. There goes the suspension in the rear.

And this is all well within their "designed to be used" ratio.

Point fact proven the ridgeline when used as an AWD truck, fails. When the truck is carrying the payload they say its "designed and rated for", fails.

Then they need to put the roof back on, slap the odyssey badge back on it and resell it because it does not deserve "AWD" or "truck".

Quick Reply: why do Jap trucks always look overloaded and underrated?