Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

What dirtbike?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Being a motocross/dirt bike nut I think I need to throw my 2 cents in here .

As its been said there are two types or dirt bikes
1) Motocross bikes, offering 2 & 4 stroke motors
2) Offroad/enduro bikes, mainly 4 strokes with the odd 2 stroke offering

Seeing as how you have no prior experience on a bike, I'd really reccomend to stay away from the large mx bikes. These things have a rediculous amount of power and will put you on your rear end in a hurry if you arent careful. I had the chance to ride a CRF 450 and it spooked me at times. What height/weight are you? That will also help decide what size bike you should ride.

I'd recommend taking a look at the Suzuki DR-Z 400. It has pretty much what your looking for and for a beginner it'll have plenty of power.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:12 PM

As was stated before, an XR-250 would be a good choice, but no E-start.
There are plenty around, so they should be cheap. They are easily bomb'ed. A pipe, a new main jet, pull the restrictive stock airbox thingy out, put in an oiled filter and it is a whole different bike.
Valves are very easy to adjust with out going to the shop.
Plus they are bullet proof. Personally, I like that they are air cooled, no radiators to break off when you get too close to the trees

~Rob
Old 03-14-2007, 08:33 PM

Thanks for all of your responses! E-start isn't that important to me. I'm 6'2" 190lbs in case that makes a big difference. I slightly prefer honda only because I have a honda quad and street bike that are great. I'm thinking the wr and the drz400 would be great choices. Any particular years to avoid or to get?
Old 03-14-2007, 09:52 PM

KTM 300XCW is a sweet woods bike. Plus it's a 2 stroke and they come setup with all the goodies right from the factory.

Since you were asking about race bikes... I thought you might like the one I ride in the open exhibition hillclimb class. These are real race bikes

Old 03-14-2007, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by scottrod
KTM 300XCW is a sweet woods bike. Plus it's a 2 stroke and they come setup with all the goodies right from the factory.

Since you were asking about race bikes... I thought you might like the one I ride in the open exhibition hillclimb class. These are real race bikes

Lordy, Lordy, that's an awesome bike. I'm diggin the paddle back tire!!!!

Hay
Old 03-14-2007, 11:28 PM

Well me being a rider for many years first
What is you r weight /height
What is your experience.

I have a bout 4 years motocross track experience and 8 years general riding experience have had the opportunity to ride with some good riders and be taught my them. However no Iam no pro and never will be but I a novice to intermediate rider.

I chose an 2003 YZ450 F witch is build for motocross it has a four speed gearbox unlike its off road counter part witch is about 40 lbs heaver in the off road version the WR450. The newer YZ have a 5 speed gear box now. I have raced this bike in Hair Scrambles in the woods however it was a hand full after about an hour. But a lot of woods racers use motocross bikes and adapt them to the woods because of the weight.

A lot of woods riders I know of are going back to 2 strokes now that the 4 strokes have been out for a while, 2 strokes cost less to over haul about half of what a fore stroke does.

If I was looking to by a woods bike only and no going to race I would go KDX 200 or 220. IMO the best all around woods bike ever made, and a lot of mods available for them go the kdxrider.com or fredetteracing for info. These can be had very cheep used and even new around 3,800 to 4,200 during the right time of year. This is a very tame two stroke with a 6 speed gear box. How ever these bikes are a little out dated compared to some thing like the KX witch Is build more for motocross.

I could go on and on about bikes best place to go ihttp://www.thumpertalke.com lots of info.

My Choices if buying used and only trail riding. In no particular order.

1. KDX 200 OR 220
2. KTM 200 xc or xc-w
3 KTM 250 xc or xc-w
4. KTM 300 xc or xc-w
5. YZ,KX,CR or RM 250.
6. Older RMX 250 its like the KDX
I would go WR befor DRZ
KTM 300 will be my next bike and many think is the best all around bike built. It been called a 3 stroke because you can lug it like a 4 stroke and its go pep like a 2 stroke.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by HayHauler1
Lordy, Lordy, that's an awesome bike. I'm diggin the paddle back tire!!!!

Hay
YIKES!!! That thing have dual carbs? or is it one carb per cylinder? It's hard to tell in that pic. I don't think you will be catching me on anything like that!
Old 03-15-2007, 03:51 AM

RIDE RED!!! Get a honda CR250 and don't look back! The 4 strokes are great that you don't have to mix fuel, but if something breaks you're looking at a major teardown to fix it. The 2 stroke has less parts and is easy as pie to do maintenance and even complete rebuilds. If you get a "slower" bike because you're a beginner, when you get better you're going to regret it. The 250 2stroke has more power than you'll ever need, you might just want to stay off 1rst gear until you get good with the clutch! Suzuki=so sucky, kawasaki= kawa-sucky, yamaha= wanna honda. RIDE RED!!!