Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Well I changed it up and got a gasser this time. A Toyota ha

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I changed it up and got a gasser this time. A Toyota ha

Hope the new owner of my Dodge gets good service from it like I did. I think he got a good deal on it.

Truck was getting to be around 6.5 years old, over 100K miles, and had gave me some minor problems so I decided to sell it. I really didn't use it much for work pulling stuff and I have another 2500 gasser work truck just didn't see the point of the diesel.

Took the cash from the Dodge for a future house downpayment and put the used Tundra with 30K miles on it I bought for 20G on a 6 year note at 3% .

It came with a new set of 33'' terra grapplers so I put a 1.7 inch Bilstein5100 shock lift on it and I picked up a factory nav and reverse camera for $500. Think I'll pop some dings out, buff it, and add a tool box.

It is pretty quick and pulled my tractor ok which is the heaviest thing it will probably see on a regular basis.

Anyway, DTR was great for tech. I'll get another diesel in the future so I plan to come back.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:24 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Congrats, dude. Let us know how that truck works out for you in a few months.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:16 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
One of my friends traded his 09 Titan for a brand new Tundra last year. Very nice truck.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:30 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Nice trucks! Good luck but I don't think you'll need it. Quick units but very thirsty when used for towing. I met a Canuck in Yosemite who had towed a 25' trailer from Alberta and averaged 8 mpg.
He asked me why the handling was so poor. Toyota like all manufacturers supplies P-rated passenger tires for their their 1/2 ton trucks. To their credit,they did supply Bilsteins for it.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:05 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I bought a brand new Toyota back in the late 70's prettiest little landcruiser you ever saw all painted up with stripes and chrome wheels and tires on it....Had it 1 day went outside the next morning and it was squatting on the left rear like the suspension gave out on it....I took it back the dealer said no problem, seen it before we fix it!

I go pick it up and they put this one HUGE shackle on the left rear springs and I just could not believe my eyes. Dealer said that's the way we fix em tough luck.

I went home called the service rep at headquarters explained my dilemma and then I receive a phone call from The service manager that fixed the "lean" with a big shackle all upset cause i got him in big trouble with Toyota

Take it back they replace spring pack and all is good....after owning about 2 weeks I come to realize it is using a qt of oil for every 100 miles I drive it and the exhaust manifold is leaking. They put new gasket on manifold and tell me engine isn't broke in yet....give it a couple more weeks.

3 days later manifold gasket blows out again, they replace it again and oil usage seems to get worse. One week later I had enough and they decide to replace some rings in one of the cylinders. As I am digesting this i tell them the rear end has started clunking and I only have 1000 miles on this thing now....

Eventually they do not fix the oil consumption problem, replaced the exhaust manifold twice and the rear end is about to seize up I get really seriously torqued up and call the owner of the dealership who is a famous drag racer of the era, he is passed now so I won't mention his name.

He argues with me until I finally tell him that I have come to believe that the only way I am going to get there attention is to drive it through their showroom window in flames. This is before the days of lemon laws.

I finally called the bank and told them to come get it because I was making no more payments on it, they said I couldn't do that and that it was all my problem..I told them at the time that they had more money in it than I did so it was indeed their problem as well...they could at least threaten not to loan any money on their vehicles until they fix this one. Deaf ears of course but the next day they showed up to tow it away so at least they believed me.

Never did hear another thing about that vehicle, have no idea what went down but I was never contacted to pay another dime on it. Back in those days Toyota had a popular Jingle...Oh What a feeling!....Toyota!......yeah it was one heck of a feeling alright. Never bought anything that wasn't american steel since then.

I am sure you will have a lot better luck with your Toyota, but I will never forget mine.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:42 PM

Flip side of the coin from top, every Toyota/Lexus owned in my family made it to 200-250k before finally being sold...

My 85 yota rock crawler 265k
97 land cruiser around 240k sold to a guy who shipped it overseas
2001 Lexus land cruiser look alike (470 I think) 220k
Dads currently g470?? I think same SUV types full time 4x4 2007ish model 210kish and counting
Mom driving a 4 door Lexus car now with 60kish...

Think they are probably close to the most reliable vehicles made, hold resale like hardly any other.

The 2007 SUV has had some air bag frustrations, but other than that they all just kept going.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:20 PM

Funny thing about the resale though, this Toyota was cheaper then the chevy and ford half tons with the same miles on them and similar options.

I was actually going to get an F250 and decided my money was better invested back into my business plus I really need to buy a house.

I wasn't even looking hard at the used half tons but just glanced around for a few hours and found this Tundra.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:09 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by bnold
Flip side of the coin from top, every Toyota/Lexus owned in my family made it to 200-250k before finally being sold...
I have heard that from a lot of people...I just wasn't as lucky must have been a Friday build or something....It happens no matter what brand you buy you can get a lemon while others get sweetness.

Those tundras have nice lines they look good
Old 03-28-2013, 08:40 PM

Not as good looking as the Dodge was I do have to say. Much more comfortable though.
It doesn't look too bad though now with the quasi leveling kit on it. I could have adjusted the bilsteins all the way up to almost 3 inches but the tires aren't big enough, plus this thing is gonna need all the help it can get when it comes to heavy work.

I need to pull the plastic bedliner out before sliding in any heavy pallets. I read the tailgate doesn't like much weight either.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:55 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Toyota makes a good truck. You won't regret buying it....
Old 03-29-2013, 12:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The tundra has the same problem as the F-150. The box is way too tall behind the cab.

In response to Top's post- my uncle bought a new Chevy with a 350 in the early 80s. Used oil like crazy and never ran right. They tuned this, did that, finally took it to an independent who found a dead cylinder- no compression. Chevy refused to honor warranty on it.

He has that luck with dealers. Dodge dealer took him for a valve body, TCM, and transmission, when all they needed to do was run a jumper between two connectors in the throttle circuit per a TSB.

I think Toyota defines 1 quart per 1000 miles driven as "acceptable" oil use.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:08 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Myself and two other owners here of '84-85 Toyota trucks with the 22r engines experienced 2.5 qts of oil consumption in 3K. We complained to the hotline and were told that it was acceptable.
My one friend took his complaint to another level. He carried around a big sign in front of the dealer on the sidewalk for a couple of days complaining of excessive oil consumption. The manager called him into the office and said Toyota was going to replace the engine's shortblock. That cured the issue.
A tech there told him of numerous similiar complaints regarding that engine during that time.
I just kept dumping oil into the thing until I traded it for an '89 Chevy 2500 which was flawless(luckily) for 50K until I offed it.
That being said,I'd scoop up a newer Toyota in a second if I was looking again.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:37 AM

I read some people with newer 1500 chevy 5.3s with the cylinder shut down thing for hwy mpg stuff have oil consumption issues too and the dealer gives them the run around. That is one of the reasons I didn't look at them.

I think my Toyota is ok, the guy I bought it from was 200 miles from being due for an oil change and it was almost a qt low. I requested he run it to Toyota and get the oil changed before making the transaction. I noticed they put 5000 miles till the next due date on the window sticker.

Anyway since this was brought up, little factoid but here is an email from cummins about 5 years old

Hey Joe, we are glad you like the 07 ISB engine, we like it too! As far as overhaul intervals we don't have a specific overhaul timeframe published. This is because there are many factors that go into the life of an engine. These things include everything from a dusty enviornment to a very hot or very cold enviornment. What we have published is an oil consumption minimum. When an engine hits these marks it is probably time for a rebuild. These intervals are as follows:

If an engine uses 1 quart of oil per 10 hours, 400 miles, or 675 kilometers then it is time for a rebuild.

This information comes from Warranty Alert--A0632. The reason we pick this type of guideline is because we have some engines out there with 500,000 miles on them that are still very strong engines.

We hope this information is helpful for you and if you have any questions feel free to ask. If your project is a repower we will have to turn you towards you local Cummins dealer/distributor for information. Here at the factory we don't have any information about repowers. There also may be information about shops specializing in repowers online.

Anyway, I was just asking about rebuild intervals and this is what I got. Cummins is pretty cool.

Notice though 400 miles and uses 1qt means it needs a rebuild.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:56 AM

Also, I had a chance to test this Toyota out on some dirt back roads yesterday. Turned off the traction control switches and had it up to 75mph maybe 80mph for some good jaunts of it and it handled it just great. Actually really well and smooth like almost freeway smooth. Not that I will do that a lot, these were pretty desolate roads.

I've done the same roads in the dodge with the suspension in my sig and it did pretty well too but not as good being a heavier truck truck that sits up higher.

The Toyota has the TRD package and I put bilstein 5100 shocks in the front on the middle setting and it has 33'' Terra Grapplers on it. It all seems well sorted as is, I think I'll keep it this way.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rednecktastic
I read some people with newer 1500 chevy 5.3s with the cylinder shut down thing for hwy mpg stuff have oil consumption issues too and the dealer gives them the run around. That is one of the reasons I didn't look at them.
The entire direct-injection gasoline engine line is having problems. Mostly build-up on the back of the intake valves. Without fuel getting sprayed on them to clean them off anything that gets through the filter is sticking to the oil that's getting sucked through the valve seals.

Quick Reply: Well I changed it up and got a gasser this time. A Toyota ha