Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Volkswagen Help Needed... 1999 Passat Using Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volkswagen Help Needed... 1999 Passat Using Oil?

I have a '99 Passat with 99k on it...

Seems to use 1 quart every 1700 miles...

Where can the oil be going?

Runs clean, no smoke and pretty much babied...

Wifes car...

Anyone know what to check for?

Its a 1.8T
Old 11-14-2006, 11:21 PM

Check on the back of the head around the cam tensioner gasket. There notorious for leaking. Who's doing the oil changes on it? Are you using Synthetic oil? Are you the original owner on it? If so the motor is still under the powertrain warranty, 10/100k. Let me know if any other questions. I'm a service advisor @ a VW dealership. It is also not uncommon for it to use some oil.

Tye
Old 11-15-2006, 06:55 AM

Wow someone that actually knows about 1.8t's.
My wife has one.
I use 5w40 synthetic with it.

Anything else we should look out for?

Right now the only issue we have with it is that the water temp sensor works erratically. Sometimes shows regular engine temp then other days will not register any temp at all.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by PourinDiesel
Wow someone that actually knows about 1.8t's.
My wife has one.
I use 5w40 synthetic with it.

Anything else we should look out for?

Right now the only issue we have with it is that the water temp sensor works erratically. Sometimes shows regular engine temp then other days will not register any temp at all.
MAKE sure you do the timing belt! There and interfearance motor. Replace the coolant temp sensor that should fix your erratic gauge issue. You probably have the black one, there is an updated green one out. About $30 bucks for the sensor and $2 bucks for the O-ring. The sensor is located in the plastic flange for the upper radiator hose on the side of the head if I recall.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:06 AM

Forgot to mention, when you replace the sensor check the harness for coolant migration. That's another known problem. The sensor will leak and the coolant will work it's way throught the harness. We had one where the coolant worked it's way through the harness all the way back the (L) rear taillight. Big $$$ repair. Entire harness had to be replaced.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:20 AM

How often does the timing belt have to be replaced and what is an interferance motor?

I'll check on the coolant migration issue.

What is your opinion of the 1.8t engine as far as reliability is concerned?
Old 11-15-2006, 07:40 AM

What year? Interference means if the belt breaks its going to bend the valves and then the heads gotta come off, because the valves open so far into the cylinders (they "interfere" in the piston space) that if the valve timing isn't perfect, the valves can be struck by a piston. I've got customers with 200k+ on them with no major problems. As long as there maintained they seem to hold up pretty well. You are running premium fuel in it aren't you? It is required in those 1.8.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:43 AM

Didnt know it required premium fuel!!

55k on the clock 2002 model year.

The timing belt/chain is internal I take it?
Old 11-15-2006, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by PourinDiesel
Didnt know it required premium fuel!!

55k on the clock 2002 model year.

The timing belt/chain is internal I take it?
Yup! Chain on the back, belt on the front. Your owners manual states 105k on the timing belt. Make sure you have the waterpump done with the belt and tensioners/rollers. Cheap PM. Did you get the recalls done it? Seat heater if equip, and crankcase breather hose? If your want to PM me your Vin # I can check it for ya.
The sales people ALWAYS fail to mention about the premium fuel! Run a couple of tanks of premium through it and you'll notice a big difference in performance and mileage.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:59 PM

Thanks!

So do all 1.8t's burn oil?

And is 1 qt every 1500 ok?

I didn't know about premium fuel either! Man!

I replaced my timing belt...

Now would bad struts make a vibration like a slapping in the front of the car?

No suspension parts are bad...

I did the control arms and found out later that they were recalled, and was out $600 or so...

Any other tips?

How are the trannys on these?
Old 11-15-2006, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Digital Bullet
Thanks!

So do all 1.8t's burn oil?

And is 1 qt every 1500 ok?

I didn't know about premium fuel either! Man!

I replaced my timing belt...

Now would bad struts make a vibration like a slapping in the front of the car?

No suspension parts are bad...

I did the control arms and found out later that they were recalled, and was out $600 or so...

Any other tips?

How are the trannys on these?

Not all of them burn oil. It is acceptable per VW for there engines to use oil. IF it uses a quart or more in 1000 miles or less, then that is considered excessive. The trannys seem to hold up pretty well. I haven't seen to many issues. A far as the slapping noise, vibration, look @ the fenderliners and make sure there secure. If the center encapsulation panel is missing then it could be the liners rubbing against the tires. Another problem could be the strut mounts being worn, causing the struts to move around. I've seen that. Check the motor mounts, there liquid filled, could be leaking. What year is it? How many miles?
Old 11-15-2006, 10:05 PM

Buckshot,

How would a 2.8L V-6 do with regards to relaibilty on one of these verses the 1.8t. Only reason, I located an '03 5-speed black on black GLX that would be a great everyday car. It has 54k on it and is quite clean. But I'm concerned of VW's electrical systems.

Also, is there an oil gelling issue on the 1.8t's? I seem to recall such a thing a year or two back? Thanks for the help.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by 96_12V
Buckshot,

How would a 2.8L V-6 do with regards to relaibilty on one of these verses the 1.8t. Only reason, I located an '03 5-speed black on black GLX that would be a great everyday car. It has 54k on it and is quite clean. But I'm concerned of VW's electrical systems.

Also, is there an oil gelling issue on the 1.8t's? I seem to recall such a thing a year or two back? Thanks for the help.
As far as reliability there both excellant motors. There just like any other vehicle, If its been maintained there going to last. I got a gal with 150k+ and she doesn't maintain it like she should and its still going strong for her. The 5spd are very desirable, and hard to come by. The Passat is the 2nd best built VW. No oil gelling issue that I'm aware of. As far as VW electrical system goes, the only thing that seems to really start/cause problems, is water. We've seen a few isolated problems, but usually seems to be influenced by someone mess'n around where they shouldn't be.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:02 PM

Thanks for the info, I think I'll take it for a drive Saturday. Overall, it's a very clean, and useable car that is solid and comfortable. To find a black on black leather interior GLX with a 5-speed was a real suprise to me. I just want to see how it all works together. What is the timing belt change interval on these? I would plan to keep it to 150k if I picked it up.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:26 PM

105k is the service interval on the T-belt. Plan on about $12-1400.00 bucks if you pay some one to do it.

Quick Reply: Volkswagen Help Needed... 1999 Passat Using Oil?