Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Vista wifi question

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vista wifi question

How do I find out what channel wireless access points are using without connecting to them with my Vista basic OS (I know Vista sucks, but I wanted to get familiar with it since I'm in the industry)?

I've searched high and low online and not found a solution. Microsoft suggests that if you have a poor wireless connection it may be due to interference with other devices... ok, well how would I find out what channel the other devices in range are broadcasting on so that I can avoid putting my device on that channel?
Old 04-02-2008, 07:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you have admin access to the wireless routers? If so type in the router IP address (192.168.2.1 or 192.168.1.1 if I remembered correctly) in Explorer and use the menu to find the broadcasting channels.

MikeyB
Old 04-02-2008, 07:08 PM

Channel Surfing

There are sniffers available that would tell you that info - but they're rather costly.

You would have to connect to those networks to find out what channel they're using as stated by MikeyB.

If you're that concerned, try different channels on your access point until you get better signal strength.

I doubt if this is going to work though. Give it a go though. Usually it's RF interference that cuts across any channel.

Randy
Old 04-02-2008, 07:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/

and its free
Old 04-03-2008, 05:26 AM

No kidding.NetStumbler is standard equipment on all of my laptops.......it has saved my butt by finding a signal to log on to where my cell phone could not.I wouldn't be without it!!Ron G
Old 04-07-2008, 04:06 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll assume the answer to my question is that Vista does not have a method of displaying the wireless channel of the wireless networks it detects. This goes along with the character of Vista to assume the user is an idiot and should be given as little info as possible as to what's going on.

It's surprising to me that this feature isn't available considering the OS is already aware of the channels being used by the access points due to the fact that it's detecting their presence. When I was running XP I was able to find the channels, but maybe that feature was provided by installing the manufacturers wireless software.

Looks like I need to install yet another 3rd party application to compensate for the deficiencies of Vista. I'll check out that netstumbler and allow Vista to live for another day.