Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

tsunami

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 06:22 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
tsunami

http://www.big-boys.com/articles/tsunami.html

the video made it out so the guy survived...... messed up to say the least.
I'm sitting in awe at the power of mother nature.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:10 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who was the guy they were talking about? The guy filming?

With water coming up that slowly, you would think that you could jump to the roof or something. You just watch the people standing around speechless...

Not too graphic by any means...

Somebody's going to find the footage of the 40-ft wave sometime here... That'd be a cool shot. Tragic, absolutely, but also never before seen.
Old 12-31-2004, 08:03 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The two guys that were swept away didn't make it.

We have had 5 days to think about what we would do, but the people in the video had about 30 seconds.
Old 12-31-2004, 04:19 PM

Originally posted by Begle1

With water coming up that slowly, you would think that you could jump to the roof or something. You just watch the people standing around speechless...
actually I thought the water rose pretty quickly, grab a stop watch and time the video, I think you would find the water rose (I'm guessing) a good 10-15 feet in a matter of seconds. sure, I suspect where the guy was standing filming it was pretty secure, but I suspect where the video stopped is where he found himself in a pile of trouble....
Old 12-31-2004, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought i heard somewhere that the wave was moving at up to 500mph
Old 01-01-2005, 08:52 AM

The waves move that fast when they're very small out in the open ocean...although I'm not sure about 500 mph. As the waves get closer to shallow water they slow down and get taller.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by oscaroc
I thought i heard somewhere that the wave was moving at up to 500mph
The earthquake was centered near Sumatra and the waves hit Somalia, Africa 3000 miles away in 6 hours. 3,000 miles / 6 hours = 500 MPH.

In the open ocean the energy can travel that fast because you cannot compress a liquid. As it gets closer to shore (shallower) the wave rises and slows down. In the ocean its more like a shock wave traveling than a wave. You can hardly see it until it gets to shore. People on a boat did not even know what was happening. Scuba divers in the water were just moved around alittle. It the shore that gets hammered because it is stationary.

Its hard to understand how water can do this when all we are use to is lakes, stream, and rivers. We still do not fully understand the dynamics of these natural events. We don't even really know how gravity works, or how a tornado forms.

Mother nature still holds alot of secrets. We are mere inhabitants of a planet that is constantly changing, evolving, and hurling through space. Who is driving this pig anyway?
Old 01-01-2005, 11:25 AM

Mother nature still holds alot of secrets. We are mere inhabitants of a planet that is constantly changing, evolving, and hurling through space. Who is driving this pig anyway?

God is driving. It's a good thing he does'nt have a hangover this morning like some people do. Other wise he might slam into a meteor.
Old 01-01-2005, 03:06 PM

"The great Alaska earthquake of 1964, which measured 9.2 on the Richter scale, caused 125 deaths. The quake generated an ocean wave that was responsible for 110 of those deaths. The tsunami reached a maximum height of 220 feet at Valdez Inlet (nearest the epicenter of the quake)."--quoted from http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/files/s...MPLATE=DEFAULT

How would you like to see that one? If something like that woulda happened and the tsunami went to a more populated area along the West Coast or Japan, there would have been hundreds of thousands more deaths in 1964...just like the one last week. Heck, at 220 ft I'd speculate there could have been millions of deaths!
Old 01-01-2005, 05:21 PM

Originally posted by welder27
"The great Alaska earthquake of 1964, which measured 9.2 on the Richter scale, caused 125 deaths. The quake generated an ocean wave that was responsible for 110 of those deaths. The tsunami reached a maximum height of 220 feet at Valdez Inlet (nearest the epicenter of the quake)."--quoted from http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/files/s...MPLATE=DEFAULT

How would you like to see that one? If something like that woulda happened and the tsunami went to a more populated area along the West Coast or Japan, there would have been hundreds of thousands more deaths in 1964...just like the one last week. Heck, at 220 ft I'd speculate there could have been millions of deaths!
The 1964 alaska quake caused damage in the Port Alberni inlet on Vancouver Island. At the height of the cold war it would have been unlikely any reports would have come out of russia (at least I haven't heard of any...)
Old 01-01-2005, 07:36 PM

Originally posted by tankeryanker
God is driving. It's a good thing he does'nt have a hangover this morning like some people do. Other wise he might slam into a meteor.
I've been making a deal with God all day.... NO DRINKING EVER AGAIN! I promiss church in the morning too! Just make my head stop hurting!
Old 01-01-2005, 07:59 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/tsunami/Faq/x005_highest

Subject: What was the highest tsunami?
Dr. Hal Mofjeld, harold.mofjeld@noaa.gov and
Dr. Frank Gonzalez, frank.i.gonzalez@noaa.gov:

The highest, reliably measured tsunami on record occurred in Lituya Bay, Alaska. This unusual event was caused by a massive landslide that fell into the bay on July 9, 1958. The resulting wave surged up the slope on the opposite side of the narrow bay to a height of 518 m(1,700 ft).

Old 01-01-2005, 08:17 PM

Originally posted by Shovelhead
http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/tsunami/Faq/x005_highest

Subject: What was the highest tsunami?
Dr. Hal Mofjeld, harold.mofjeld@noaa.gov and
Dr. Frank Gonzalez, frank.i.gonzalez@noaa.gov:

The highest, reliably measured tsunami on record occurred in Lituya Bay, Alaska. This unusual event was caused by a massive landslide that fell into the bay on July 9, 1958. The resulting wave surged up the slope on the opposite side of the narrow bay to a height of 518 m(1,700 ft).
Dude! Surf's up!
Old 01-01-2005, 08:22 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wonder where can put the dynamite around San Francisco in order to replicate that...
Old 01-01-2005, 08:36 PM

Originally posted by Begle1
I wonder where can put the dynamite around San Francisco in order to replicate that...
When you lite that baby off I want to be there!

Quick Reply: tsunami