Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

toy haulers

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
toy haulers

what do you guys have as toy haulers. I'm looking into buying a new one, but theres so many on the market its crazy. I'm looking at jayco, weekend warrior, eclipse, pretty much everyone. What do you got and are you happy with it? I don't want to get a big payment, maybe a $30,000 trailer
Old 11-25-2006, 09:13 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
What size range are you looking at?

Are you looking at a 5th wheel or trailer?

Do you want a seperate garage?

I have a Kit Patio Hauler, now made by Extreme. They are kind of mid-range as far as interior quality goes, but I like the slats they have in the garage floor and the exterior type door in the garage wall (you can hose out the garage).

I like the K-Z ones pretty well, Komfort discontinued one of the best ones out there, and Alfa has a pretty upper end 5er that I like (but is high $$$). Weekend Warrior would be top on my list if I were looking at a non-garage unit.

I'd suggest hitting a big RV show. Bring your digital camera, and when you see one you like take the first photo of the placard that shows the model and price. After one of those shows, it can be kind of tough to remember what unit had what features, and even the photos can be tough to keep straight.

Lastly, unless money is no object, I'd suggest you at least look at the used market. These things drop tons of value in the first year or two, whether they get used much or not.

There was one unit on sale at a show for like $58,000, and just for giggles I searched classifieds for the same unit and found one a couple of years old. It said it had only been used 3 times, and was half the price. I'd hate to be the guy who lost like $10,000 per trip...

Other things to consider: Many toyhaulers aren't wide enough to hold two big utilities side by side, so you end up turning them sideways. The alternative is a trailer more than 8' wide, which can be a pain, too.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:37 AM

Never , never pay sticker price . Pick up a trader classified paper at a C-store and watch for sales . RV dealers are like auto dealers . They have model year changes and offer considerable discounts at volume dealers .
Old 11-26-2006, 12:56 PM

What do you plan on putting in it? Do you want a 5th or a tow behind. I see you have bigger tires on your truck. I wanted to get a fifth wheel but I was to high. The highest you could go with a fifth wheel is 64 inches. Thats 64inches from the ground to the top of your bed. So I decided to get the biggest tow behind you could get a 34 foot sandpiper sport. I used to have a 23 foot Eclipse attitude and it was just to small. Go big so you dont grow out of it trust me if you go small your going to wish you went bigger. I like the sand pipers because they have high ceilings and they have two doors.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:28 PM

as of right now I want a tow behind. I'd want to put a rhino and two small quads back there. Or maybe in the near future a sandrail, but that might be pushing it.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:58 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Well, I think that would dictate a longer, non-seperate garage type trailer. In that category Weekend Warrior would be one of the first ones I'd look at.

I'd go to an RV show so you can look at pretty much everything in one spot. If you are thinking about a sandrail, make sure the trailer you are looking at has enough payload capacity. If you go new, some makes will let you special order heavier axles and tires with increased gross axle weight rating and increased gross vehicle weight rating to allow for more cargo.

IRV2 is one of the better RV forums, and they have an active section devoted to toyhaulers.

http://irv2.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=cfrm&s=8076099152

Good luck, and let us know what you choose.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is mine. Its an 06 Cherokee Wolf Pack. I had a few small isues with it that where fixed. So far it is a great unit. Got it for $25K incuding the 3.5kw invertor style generator. Its a 26 foot unit but actualy measures rite at 30 foot not counting the toung.

There is rite at 18 feet of space to put the quads in. I had 3 utes and my Raptor in it this summer but the Raptor was stood on end.

Pesonaly if you want to stay under 30K I would forget abought Weekend Warior. They are way over priced. You are paying for the name. There are other equaly good brands out there that are not near as spendy. I would put your toys in a area and measure how long and wide they are. or measure the inside of a unit and then see if you can make your toys fit in that area on your garage flore. Dont just look at it and say you think theyl fit. Wouldent be much fun trying to load it for the first time just to find out they dont fit. How many people are going to sleep in it? If you want something a little cheaper but still functanal then I would look at the Work and Play units. Here is a link to a dealer down the road from me. If you go to there inventory list they have pics inside and out with flore plans for all of them they have in stock. Some have prices on them as well. They are built on a cargo trailer platform so they are a little heavier built.
http://www.trailersforsale.com/
After going to that site now I see they have a bunch of them listed with price rite on there home page.
For more pics of mine go to the Photobucket link in my sig.