Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Torque Wrench

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2002, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torque Wrench

Most things I read say to torque xxx to xxx ft pounds. So, looks like a torque wrench is the next purchase.<br><br>Suggestions? / Brands? / torque range of the tool / $$$$
Old 10-18-2002, 05:52 AM

Re:Torque Wrench

Me too. I guess its about time to stop using the &quot;that's about right&quot; torque spec. : I've seen the kind with the pointer, and the ones with a ring that you twist to the setting. What should we look for?
Old 10-18-2002, 06:56 AM

I just have one of them 30.00 craftsman torque wrenches. Works great! But my dad picked up a new one down in FL, so I guess I get a new one next month when I go down! Not sure what kind that is?! ??? Max torque on it is like 160 or something... ;D<br><br>Tony
Old 10-18-2002, 07:45 AM

Don't buy the pointer type.<br>Get yourself the CLICK or RATCHET ( one in the same ) you can pick up a good one for a weekend mech. at sears for around $100. It will go to 250 lbs. and last you forever.<br> <br><br> : Eddie : 8)
Old 10-18-2002, 08:39 AM

[quote author=Gear Poet link=board=10;threadid=6022;start=0#54633 date=1034945512]<br><br><br>Of course, the real hassle is getting these things fitted onto the bolt when it's underneath the injector pump or the fuel filter housing, somewhere in the dark and beneath tangled lines. . . . :P<br><br>GP<br>[/quote]<br><br>Aw Shucks you just took all the fun out of it for all the newbies. ;D<br><br> : Eddie : 8)
Old 10-18-2002, 04:56 PM
Banned

Trust me. It ain't fun. You try tightening all of the banjo bolts down with a torque wrench on our engines. Talk about a major headache.
Old 10-18-2002, 05:18 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I've adopted Jetpilot's torque specs. GNT <br><br>Good N Tight ;D<br><br>But then I've spent a few years on the clean end of a wrench, so I've kinda developed the &quot;Calibrated Elbow&quot;.<br>Or maybe it was the &quot;old man&quot; joints causing my elbow to click at 50 ft lbs.
Old 10-18-2002, 05:42 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As bulthisl has already mentioned. Get the click type. That way you dont have to worry about reading the gauge type while your underneath your truck and the wrench is surrounded by all kinds of obstacles. Craftsman brand torque wrenches are okay. I prefer the non swivel head type. Snap-On, Mac, or S&amp;K. But, I make my living with my tools, so they have to be able to last a long time without any worries. But, for every now and then use, Craftsman is fine.<br>
Old 10-18-2002, 05:51 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

I do use 3 sizes of torque wrenches- 1/4&quot;, 1/2&quot; and 1&quot;- the 1&quot; doesn't get to work on the truck. All of them came in a set of Stahlwille tools. The nice thing about it is that there is a calibration unit with them. This unit is a kind of lever with a weight . I found that many of the cheap torque wrenches were off about 30% on low settings - So if possible check the calibration. <br><br>AlpineRAM
Old 10-19-2002, 08:27 PM

Don't forget to have your torque wrenches calibrated annually!
Old 10-20-2002, 11:40 AM

Where and how do i calibrate a torque wrench?
Old 10-20-2002, 11:58 AM

Its easy- either you go to a good hardware store or any good garage where they have a test stand for the torque wrenches or you make the stand yourself.<br><br>You just need a nut (1/2&quot; for 1/2&quot; wrenches) some Iron bar, a bearing and some weight. Take an Iron bar lenght 2 feet and weld the nut on the center. Mount on a bearing. The arm should rotate freely. Place a weight on 1 arm and lift with torque wrench. If weight is 25 punds the torque wrench adjusted to 25 ft/lbs should click when the bar is coming up to horizontal position. <br><br>AlpineRAM
Old 10-20-2002, 05:42 PM
Banned

Couple of notes:<br><br>I havea craftsman click type. Its older, so this may not apply to the newer stuff. If I use it so the fastener is above (like main bearing cap installed in the car) the wrench, it won't click. Use it so the fastener is below the wrench (like a head bolt), and its accurate and clicks. Because of this I bought a Snap On click type. <br><br>Second, one person described a method for making a calibration tool. He mentioned a two foot long bar with a weight. Since the calibration should be in foot pounds, the weight should only be one foot from the centerline of the axis of the pivot point. The description left me thinking he had the weight two feet from the axis of the pivot. <br>
Old 10-21-2002, 01:15 AM

Max340- I said 2 ft iron bar, mount nut on the center. So the weight of the bar doesn't play because it's balanced. I do calibrate torque wrenches for as low as 2Nm .<br>AlpineRAM

Quick Reply: Torque Wrench