Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Thinking of going back OTR

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 07:17 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of going back OTR

Well the construction market has just about dried up here & only working 40 hrs a week is having an adverse affect on my wallet & toy buying. So I'm debating bout going back out. Don't really want to buy another road tractor, but I really hated being a company driver years ago. Anyone else on here drive OTR? Who for?
Old 12-28-2008, 08:13 AM
Urban Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A couple of things to ask yourself.
1) Is the time spent on the road better spent doing something else?
2) Will the money really be better per hour worked?
3) How will this affect your family?
I used to drive OTR for Crete Carriers Corp(CCC)so I know that you will work a lot more hours than 40 but will you make any more money by the time your living expenses are deducted .
Old 12-28-2008, 08:35 AM
Banned

1) Of course not
2) Years ago when I was out it averaged out to $13 an hour for all hours gone.
3) Won't affect them as bad as our house getting forclosed on, or losing everything I've worked my tail off to provide for them in the last 10 yrs.

This is not something I "really" want to do but, after 2 months of lay off in sept & oct, as well as no other jobs coming in after we finish the project we're on now. I see the writing on the wall & have a good ideal as what's coming. If I do go back out it will be in my own truck again & I have no plans of leasing onto a big company like CCC where your a number on the dispatchers screen. Granted fuel is higher now than when I owned my last truck but still will make a good deal more than I am now with the cut backs at work. The last year I was out I made well over 6 figures gross & real close to that net. Granted was only home about a month the whole year. I'm just asking who else is out there now & who they are leased to. Esply flat or heavy haul. Not much money in dry freight unless your lucky to have a gravy run.

Originally Posted by bigfoot
A couple of things to ask yourself.
1) Is the time spent on the road better spent doing something else?
2) Will the money really be better per hour worked?
3) How will this affect your family?
I used to drive OTR for Crete Carriers Corp(CCC)so I know that you will work a lot more hours than 40 but will you make any more money by the time your living expenses are deducted .
Old 12-28-2008, 08:58 AM

Work your tail off now, so you don't have to later. OTR probably won't be for ever, just do what ever it takes to get thru the low times.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:04 AM
Urban Legend

All good points.
Around here they are starting drivers at around 15.00 for driving a water truck hauling salt water from the gas wells 12 on and 12 off. I don’t know if that will help you but is something to think on.
I do know what you are talking about I owned my own truck and leased to CCC the money was good. This was back in the 80s so I’m sure that things have changed.
Is there any type of work in your area that is not going down hill? I ask because it could be that some industry needs trainees it would be lower pay for a while but at least you would be home.
Just a thought
Whatever you do good luck.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:16 AM
Banned

$15 an hr is about $6 more than my boss pay ours dump truck drivers. I personally hate driving a truck, thats why I've kept my butt in the trackhoe or on some other piece of yellow iron for the last 10 yrs.

Didn't know you were an O/O. From what I remember from my uncle when he drove back in the 80's CCC was one of the good companies to work for. I thinnk now they are along the lines of schnieder & such. Butt dry freight has never been fro me prefer flat, specialized or a bucket. The only industry left here is the **** retirees. So with that being said the only growing industry is healthcare & though it's good money I don't see myself as a nurse, little too fruity for me plus being stuck inside. We're more than willing to sell the house & move to an area that has jobs. How's the equipment operating job market there?

All good points.
Around here they are starting drivers at around 15.00 for driving a water truck hauling salt water from the gas wells 12 on and 12 off. I don’t know if that will help you but is something to think on.
I do know what you are talking about I owned my own truck and leased to CCC the money was good. This was back in the 80s so I’m sure that things have changed.
Is there any type of work in your area that is not going down hill? I ask because it could be that some industry needs trainees it would be lower pay for a while but at least you would be home.
Just a thought
Whatever you do good luck.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:19 AM
Banned

Allready doing that, besides my regular job. Work my own equipment everytime I get a chance. Even "lowered" myself to take a eve job at the local auto parts storeon the eve's that I'm free from everything else.

Originally Posted by roughstock
Work your tail off now, so you don't have to later. OTR probably won't be for ever, just do what ever it takes to get thru the low times.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:03 AM
Urban Legend

Right now in the DFW area the gas drilling and pipeline business is booming. Things have slowed down some but there is still work for qualified personnel.
Contact Chesapeake and maybe they could point you in the right direction.
Also if you are interested in driving let me know and I’ll check with a friend of mine and see if the company he is working for has openings.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:08 PM
Banned

Thanks for the info. & sure if you dont mind see what he's got open

Right now in the DFW area the gas drilling and pipeline business is booming. Things have slowed down some but there is still work for qualified personnel.
Contact Chesapeake and maybe they could point you in the right direction.
Also if you are interested in driving let me know and I’ll check with a friend of mine and see if the company he is working for has openings.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:17 PM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

Oil and gas is going downhill too but you may also want to look at hot shot trucking. basically delivery to the rigs. Seems like they are always looking for someone who will just show up on time and be ready to work, more than one day in a row. It is pretty local type stuff, but I think you would work out shift work. two weeks on two weeks off type of thing.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:25 PM
Banned

If I go back trucking it will be in a class 8 truck again.

Originally Posted by wyododge
Oil and gas is going downhill too but you may also want to look at hot shot trucking. basically delivery to the rigs. Seems like they are always looking for someone who will just show up on time and be ready to work, more than one day in a row. It is pretty local type stuff, but I think you would work out shift work. two weeks on two weeks off type of thing.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by sodbuster03
If I go back trucking it will be in a class 8 truck again.
Thats okay, lots of 'big boys' out here. Casing, tubing, rods, water, fuel, etc... Flatbeds, tankers, doubles. even heavy equipment if that is your thing.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:41 PM
Banned

Hook a fellow up with the name of some companies.

Originally Posted by wyododge
Thats okay, lots of 'big boys' out here. Casing, tubing, rods, water, fuel, etc... Flatbeds, tankers, doubles. even heavy equipment if that is your thing.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:01 PM

I am on it. No one here right now but I will do some checkin around. If shift work is what yo are interested in, Halliburton, Schlumberger and bj's are always looking for drivers. Historically they don't pay that well. I am in wyoming right now, which sucks. You may want to go to RIGZONE.COM put in a resume. Also do some searches in ND, OK, TX, WV and PA. Still lots of rigs out there, although they are dwindling everyday. I will let you know what I find out here. May be able to get you some for other states as well.

For right now give black hills trucking a call. I think they are in Wyoming, but it could also be in Montana. good friend of mine works for them, as far a s I know their pretty good people.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:59 PM

My good buddy in North Dakota hauls gas, home every night, and stands to make 65-70k next year. Don't know what you guys have out there in NC but maybe another option for you to look into. All he really does is drive out to the fuel terminals and then on to the stations and unloads. So he is in and out of his truck all day.

Quick Reply: Thinking of going back OTR