Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Thinking about a new bike...check this out:

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most of the new 600's and up are scary fast. But that also means revving them up to 17k+ rpm's to squeeze that power out of them.

The big bores advantage is in torque, where if you're running down the highway and want a rush, you don't have to do a double or triple tap to get into the powerband. Many of the bigger bikes are also a little larger/longer physically which helps if you sit in the saddle for long rides. The 'busa isn't sold as a crotch rocket, but rather a sport tourer (with a monster motor..). If you ever ride two up - bigger is better.

Whatever you buy, shop around for insurance first, there is a lot of variability among the different companies - even among identical bikes. Some companies see a 'busa as manslaughter on two wheels, and some see it merely as a 1300cc 4 cylinder motorcycle.

No matter what you ride, if you've never taken a m/s safety course - enroll in one.

For all of you reading this, Sring is here - keep your eyes out for those of us who ride motorcycles. We're back out on the road.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:01 PM

Theres one bike I can't wait for, the new Yamaha V-max. I've heard that this bike could have around 200 hp and I would be surprised if it doesn't become one of the fastest factory bikes on the 1/4 mile. The original V-max was a monster, and the new one should pick up where the old one left off. Plus the concept bike is one of the baddest bikes I have ever seen.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Beeram305
Theres one bike I can't wait for, the new Yamaha V-max. I've heard that this bike could have around 200 hp a...
No kidding, 200? A buddy at work just bought a brand new one. He said that the dealer said Yamaha doesn't sell all that many of them, but they haven't stopped importing them yet. He said he'd let me take it for a spin. 200 horses?? I can't wait...
Old 03-19-2006, 07:03 PM

Yeah I know about the V-MAX but doubt they're making any changes to it. It has unbelievable mid-range punch but it also has the old-style riding stance, i.e., chest up in the wind, etc. It's been around for 20 years now, I think...

IMO, they wouldn't be putting that kind of HP on a bike like that.

Here's the link, which BTW isn't even in the sport bike category, it's in the cruiser category:

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/...23/0/home.aspx

It's been around so long it's legendary, a cult bike at this point.

DT.

Theres one bike I can't wait for, the new Yamaha V-max. I've heard that this bike could have around 200 hp and I would be surprised if it doesn't become one of the fastest factory bikes on the 1/4 mile. The original V-max was a monster, and the new one should pick up where the old one left off. Plus the concept bike is one of the baddest bikes I have ever seen.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:12 PM

Yeah, I was really lookin into one of these bikes, but couldn't pass up the CBR. They made the current V-max from 1985 to 2006, with about 145 hp. I have just heard a few rumors that the new one could crack 200, and it needs to be just as awesome and more powerful than anything on the road just like it did way back when.

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/20...yo-motor-show/

I told you the thing was bad***!

It's just a concept bike, but I've heard thats pretty close to what we'll get, except maybe they will add a headlight There was also a short article in Motorcyclist magazine a few months back.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:54 PM

Thanks for the link.

I'll have to dig into this one.

DT.

Yeah, I was really lookin into one of these bikes, but couldn't pass up the CBR. They made the current V-max from 1985 to 2006, with about 145 hp. I have just heard a few rumors that the new one could crack 200, and it needs to be just as awesome and more powerful than anything on the road just like it did way back when.

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/20...yo-motor-show/

I told you the thing was bad***!

It's just a concept bike, but I've heard thats pretty close to what we'll get, except maybe they will add a headlight There was also a short article in Motorcyclist magazine a few months back.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:46 PM

This is the first year you can go to a dealer and buy a factory drag bike. Complete with wheelie bars and a 7" slick, shifter on the bars, the whole nine yards. Sorry rice guys, its a Harley. Check it out, its bad a?*!
Old 03-20-2006, 03:04 PM
Banned

Personally a ZX14 is freakin pointless..........to much motor and only good for one thing......GOIN STRAIGHT!!!

I had an 02 Yamaha R1 that was piped, geared, fuel system re-maped, and a K&N filter. Up here in high altitude I ran a 10.9 which is freakin screaming plus it would tear up the corners in the mountains!! I loved that bike, it performed awesome but even being only a 1000CC it'd still be enough to get you in trouble if you didn't know what you were doing. A 1400CC I wouldn't think would be very much fun.........you'd have to constantly be careful of how much throttle you're giving that sucker going through a corner.

Heck the new R1 is putting out I think 182HP this year..........that is freakin insane. Mine with my mods was a little over 140 to the rear wheels and that was MORE than plenty!

~Nick
Old 03-20-2006, 03:48 PM

the only redeeming value the -14 has is that it's just a stupid big engine, and that gives it wow factor. I didn't realize it's in a cruiser category. wierd.
my friend's ZX-10 was just stupid fast. In 3rd gear at 8,000 rpm 1/2 throttle, the front tire was light, rolled on to 3/4 throttle and the tire came right up like it was supposed to be there. I can't imagine ever needing that kind of power, let alone more.

honestly, if you just want a big engine to go fast, stay off a bike or stay off the street and go 1/4 mile only; it's guys that ride just to go fast that that give the rest of us a bad name.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:07 PM

I found another link for the next V-max, I can't wait for this bike.
http://www.next-vmax.com/index_n.html
This bike is like the muscle car of all motorcycles, hurry up Yamaha and don't disappoint us!
Old 03-20-2006, 05:35 PM

The ZX-14's not in a cruiser category, the Yamaha V-Max is.

Originally Posted by jon96ctd
the only redeeming value the -14 has is that it's just a stupid big engine, and that gives it wow factor. I didn't realize it's in a cruiser category. wierd.
my friend's ZX-10 was just stupid fast. In 3rd gear at 8,000 rpm 1/2 throttle, the front tire was light, rolled on to 3/4 throttle and the tire came right up like it was supposed to be there. I can't imagine ever needing that kind of power, let alone more.

honestly, if you just want a big engine to go fast, stay off a bike or stay off the street and go 1/4 mile only; it's guys that ride just to go fast that that give the rest of us a bad name.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:47 PM

Wouldn't the ZX-14 be considered in the same class as the Busa anyway? I'd still put them in the super sport bike category even if they are porky. I see a sweet Pinks show brewing, Busa vs. Kawasaki.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:51 PM

absolutely. They are built to compete with each other.

Wouldn't the ZX-14 be considered in the same class as the Busa anyway? I'd still put them in the super sport bike category even if they are porky. I see a sweet Pinks show brewing, Busa vs. Kawasaki.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:01 AM

busas ARE confortable, but you scrape fairing and pipe before your knee gets down. RC51 is where its at
Old 03-21-2006, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by dieselnewbie
The ZX-14's not in a cruiser category, the Yamaha V-Max is.
thank you, i read through too quickly. it did strike me as odd.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a new bike...check this out: