Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Texas Brownouts & Power shortages

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 09:42 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Texas Brownouts & Power shortages

This is more of an fyi for those in Texas...

•The Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) has called a Power Emergency
•As required by ERCOT, utilities are dropping electric circuits for 15-minute increments. This is a rolling brown-out.
•If customers lose their power, they’re being encouraged to turn off major their electric heaters so that when electricity is restored their circuit is not overloaded all at once. It’s important to power up slowly as people return to power.
•This is happening because there is not enough generation on line state-wide to meet the state-wide demand. Many power plants are offline for overhaul and maintenance.
•Scheduled to last until atleast 1pm CDT.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:56 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Yea. We're having them all over town here. People are in a panic. I'm guessing that if all the wives did what mine wanted to do, which was crank the heater up to 85 this morning, that's a major part of what's putting the load on it. They really are lasting more like an hour even though our news is saying 10 to 15 minutes. It aint no big deal. Everyone just grab a cup of coffee and sit down and enjoy some peace and quiet and it'll be just fine.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:08 AM
Urban Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The water plant that I manage participates in an energy reduction program. Basically we curtail as much usage as possible for a given length of time when they call and ERCOT writes the city a check at the end of the year.
At this time we have all pumps off line for the next hour.

We receive anywhere from 30 – 40K per year as a rebate .
Old 02-02-2011, 10:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I drove from Tomball to Conroe and back and many of the traffic lights are out. Needless to say driving was a pain this morning.

MikeyB
Old 02-02-2011, 10:47 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bigfoot
The water plant that I manage participates in an energy reduction program. Basically we curtail as much usage as possible for a given length of time when they call and ERCOT writes the city a check at the end of the year.
At this time we have all pumps off line for the next hour.

We receive anywhere from 30 – 40K per year as a rebate .
If I curtail my power will I get this sort of rebate.....lol....didn't think so.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:31 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by high bid
If I curtail my power will I get this sort of rebate.....lol....didn't think so.
Love it! Also love the rebate for damages and food loss.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:49 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We had our blackout this morning. About 20 minutes long.

Originally Posted by Redleg
Love it! Also love the rebate for damages and food loss.
It would be sweet. Especially in the summer. At least now in the cold if things get bad we can throw the fridge contents into the yard. Just gotta fight off the cats and squirrels.

I think there's some program, or something I've heard discussed about discounts for energy to be a participant for voluntary blackouts.

I was thinking last night, sure is crazy where temps throughout the year will swing 100+ degrees in an area.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:58 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ours are lasting from 45 to 60 min. Shouldn't have any food loss in that amount of time.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How come all of those great wind turbines that we ALL have funded as federal tax payers are not doing the job for you ????

After all they always advertise that we will be able to shut down the coal plants by just putting up turbines

Just another fine example of a big government RIP OFF to feed the money to the special interests pockets.

Most of the porkulus bill money spent on wind went directly to china along with the jobs.

For more of the truth on wind go to www.knowwind.org or www.windaction.org

Also talk with REAL people that ACTUALLY live by these to learn the real life implications of the noise and health related issues along with the loss of your property values if you can even sell it.

These things divide communities due to the greed and are a source of some of the biggest corruption i have ever seen first hand.

Please become educated and aware so you can make an intelligent decision take a lease BEFORE you agree to it and ask a COMPETENT land use attorney what to do with it ? Most will tell you to use it for fire starter or to wipe your hind end with it.

Sorry for the rant just thought it was something our fellow members should be very much aware of.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:39 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
na they are just re-routing power to the HAARP grid to keep changing the weather patterns and put us in a panic. lol
Old 02-02-2011, 01:58 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
We got a call from the city warning us our power was about to go down. We shut down alot of servers and systems but nothing ever happened.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:37 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Originally Posted by high bid
you'll get a smaller bill at the end of the month ...

I worked at one place that was on a flat rate electric plan. If they didn't shut down when asked, they were fined. I haven't had any issues yet, but we have a coal burner about 15 miles north so power here is usually pretty good.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:50 PM

i work for CPS energy here in san antonio and i heard that dallas is hurtin for power so everybody around is giving alittle to help them out. Just what i heard dont know for sure. But with all those snow and ice storms wouldent doubt it.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:57 PM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

Sometimes it is nice to be on location. No power outages, but there are quite a few texas and louisiana popsicles walking around...
Old 02-02-2011, 09:01 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wyododge
Sometimes it is nice to be on location. No power outages
Only if you added the PS to the fuel tank

Quick Reply: Texas Brownouts & Power shortages