Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Telephone scammers

Old 03-28-2007, 04:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Telephone scammers

"out of area 727-587-0149" is what my caller ID said. First off let me say I know better than to give ANYONE information over the phone.I pick up and it starts out with a recording about lowering you interest rate on your credit cards
because you are such a valued customer. Then a guy comes on and tells me he can lower my rates to 6.7%, I wasn't really interested, I hardly ever carry over balances month to month, but I kept listening. I asked him what bank/card he was with and he said they work with all of them.
He asks if I would like to start with my visa or MC, I told him either was fine, then he asks what the issuing bank was, I gave him the name of a local bank that I have no card with, then next he wanted the 3 digit security code to verify it. I then asked him what was the name of his company and what was his name, he hung up without saying another word. All the time he is talking I'm thinking how lame this attempt is and if anybody ever really falls for it.
What came next is what got me, I call the local police and tell them the story, they say they can't do anything since a crime wasn't committed, they said to report it to the FTC. I look them up on the internet, get their phone number and call, busy signal, kept trying many times, same results.
On their website they have a complaint form you can fill out, but it is more for
complaining after you have already been ripped off. Bottom line is seems like nobody wants to investigate attempted fraud and stop these guys before crimes are committed. I found this very frustrating. The world is full of these guys now days, try advertising something for sale anywhere on the internet
and see how many suspicious replies you get Sorry for the long rant, I'm sick of scammers!
Old 03-28-2007, 04:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
someone else had the same trouble...

http://trailerparkbarbie.wordpress.c...ammer-part-ii/
Old 03-28-2007, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep very frustrating, and even if the crime is commited, they law don't go after them. That phone number is prolly bogus also. They can do that so cant be found.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tell them to put you on their 'do not call list', and they hopefully wont call back